The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 11, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
DATL

Ruger Gunsite Scout .308

Hey everyone,

A couple weeks ago a local gun shop had a .308 Ruger Gun Site Scout on the rack. Last week it was still there. I just couldn't help myself and had to scoop it up! I grew up reading Cooper's Corner in the back of my grandad's Guns & Ammo magazines- so have always been fond of Jeff Cooper and his ideas about the Scout concept. Not to mention I am a huge Ruger fan. Given that it was an obvious choice!

So far I'm loving it! I really like the look, feel, and fit/finish of it. I really enjoy shooting it so much more than any other bolt gun I have ever had! The magazine, picatinny rail, and flash hider adds to the fun. I didn't know how I'd like the forward mounting option with the scope/red-dot, but i'm loving it.

I put a little UTG Red/Green dot on it for the time being as you can see in the pic. So far so good though admittedly I've only had a chance to shoot it a few times in the same day, and only out to about 100-150 yards or so. It hit everything I aimed at, but I'm excited to see how far out I can meet my target with this thing.

The action is not as smooth as my M77 or Kimber 8400 but maybe it'll smooth out the more I shoot it. If not I can have it smoothed out but it's not a big deal. It's still fun as hell to shoot.

Old November 11, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
rallyhound

I absolutely hate bolt action guns. I have no use for them for hunting.

I may have to get a scout.

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:49 PM   #3
jmortimer

I would like to have one. Makes a lot of sense on many levels. Good pick-up
Old November 12, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
DATL

Hey thank you! Honestly that's the thought process I was using when considering buying it- I felt like it just made sense for me in my scenario. I have nothing against assault rifles, and I understand the usefulness of them. But I wanted a bolt gun which is super simple to maintain, can shoot a generous sized caliber, hold more than 3 or so bullets, and is not so long where I could not maneuver around with is should I have to.

After seeing the speed at which a few of the "guru's" at the local range could cycle through a bolt action rifle with accuracy- I knew that it was possible to use one in MANY different scenarios.

Funny thing though- I saw a video (one of the first that came up in my search) where this one very popular (amateur?) online gun reviewer guy was absolutely STRUGGLING to manipulate the bolt action on one of these rifles. I am so happy I researched more after seeing that! He would shoot, look down at the rifle almost confused, clumsily manipulate the bolt/slide, look up, re-aim, etc... I am an amateur for sure but know it is/should NOT be like that operating a bolt action rifle. I have seen it done so much better! I think the gun was not tacticool looking enough for the guy which is part of the allure for me! When you clip in the five round magazine, the rifle does not look suspicious even one bit.
Old November 12, 2012, 01:07 PM   #5
DATL

Rallyhound, I feel ya completely! I don't really hunt myself! My biggest qualm with bolt action rifles was the ammo capacity. I personally feel insecure with a (3) round capacity in some other boltys. Heck, when I initially saw this rifle I was there looking at mini-14's (and will still get one). But my allure to this bolt action rifle is that it is SO much more fun looking/shooting than any other bolty I have personally played with lol. Being a bolty it is SO simple to maintain, and I have seen them at the range eat everything to the cheapest, dirty, bulk ammo that you can find. Would it by my "only rifle could I have only one?" I dunno. Could it be? Absolutely
Old November 12, 2012, 03:25 PM   #6
L_Killkenny

Glad you like it, have fun and I'm sure it will serve you well for years to come. Me? You probably don't want and definitely don't need my opinion one this one.

Good Luck.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:21 PM   #7
PatientWolf

I love the concept, if not the gun. I really wish it was offered in SS. the only other significant issue I see with it is as you pointed out, the trigger isn't getting very good reviews. That being said, if I run across one at the right price...
Old November 12, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
trg42wraglefragle

Have you shot any groups with it?
I've looked all around for actual accuracy but just get told the factory claimed accuracy?
Old November 12, 2012, 07:33 PM   #9
DATL

L_KILLKENNY thanks! Hey it's no worries man you can leave your opinion on it! I haven't found a perfect rifle to fit all needs ever so I'm not defensive about this one! (a M1A Socom was not in my budget- but as far as I can tell that may be my ideal rifle )
Old November 12, 2012, 07:57 PM   #10
DATL

PatientWolf I here ya, I am on a SS kick right now also. I don't mind this one not being SS because the black is more camouflaged. While I don't have any qualms with the trigger this may be because I am just now really getting more serious with rifles- I have always been more into handguns. But I like how Col. Cooper said "handguns are just to fight yourself back to your rifle" LOL. Additionally, I have a Ruger M77 30-06 so I very well may just be used to these triggers if they're similar.

trg42wraglefragle, I'm hoping to get some serious shooting in next weekend! If so I'll try and get some data back on it! I hear this short 16" barrel is going to bring the range in quite a bit for this .308. I have not had much practice out past 300-400 yards or so even with my 300 WSM, so it may not affect me for some time!
Old November 12, 2012, 08:42 PM   #11
WildBill45

I like them. I looked one over at the local gun shop! My scout rifle is my O3'A3 with a synthetic stock...

I may one someday, as the design is attractive!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old November 13, 2012, 01:54 AM   #12
nimbleVagrant

My local Freddies has 'em in stock. I glance at the rack from afar, but in general I try to avoid the gun counter. I really don't need to spend $800 on a toy right now.
Old November 13, 2012, 02:01 AM   #13
MLeake

I had been told the noise was punishing from the Scout. How do you find it? (Since you didn't mention it, I'll assume it's not as bad as I've heard, but it would be better to hear it from the shooter.)
Old November 13, 2012, 07:09 AM   #14
PatientWolf

I'd assume it was loud. Though, if that flash hider was unthreaded and a suppressor was threaded on in its place...
Old November 13, 2012, 08:53 AM   #15
Crow Hunter

I like the concept, but not the execution.

What I would have preferred to see:

-18" bbl, even that is punishingly loud. (Comparison SCAR 17 vs Larue PredatAR with 18" bbl with the same AAC Blackout FH)
-Conventional scope mounting position that didn't require removal the rear iron sights.
-Lighterweight polymer stock instead of the heavy laminate stock. As it is, it is nearly as heavy as a semi, which would be my only reason to chose a bolt over a semi.

I am hoping this will be popular enough that we will a model with the options above.

It is very nice looking though.

Let us know how it shoots.

Good luck.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:28 AM   #16
TheBear

I own one of those myself! Great rifle, ive shot .5" groups at 120yards with it using handloaded ammo. The action gets more smooth after 100 shots or so. Love this rifle, its a rock solid, compact, pretty accurate .308 and thats basically all you need.

however, im with crow hunter concerning the scope mount, i had to remove the rear iron sight because i have my scope mounted on the conventional position + i had to remove the forward rail because of the scope (3-9x40)...
no backup sights on a scout rifle...thats a bad thing.

+ the barrel could be a little more heavy for my taste, its getting pretty hot after 5 shots, the groups open up. the little extra weight wouldnt bother me.
in an emergency or hunting situation you shouldnt need more than 5 shot though...
Old November 13, 2012, 02:58 PM   #17
trg42wraglefragle

Is there any way you could modify a pair off flip up sights from an AR 15 so you can have a conventional scope mount and the open sites?
Old November 13, 2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Single Six

A late welcome to TFL. Congratulations on your fine purchase; it's what I'm dreaming of. I now officially hate you! But seriously, enjoy. I plan to get mine ASAP. My plan is to buy it, and then send it off to Mahovsky's Metalife for application of their matte-silver finish...I don't care for blued finishes. Afterward, some distant, inanimate targets are in serious jeopardy!
Old November 13, 2012, 03:36 PM   #19
jmr40

I too prefer a low powered scope mounted conventionally. Coopers main reason for the forward mount was to be able to use stripper clips to rapidy reload a military style bolt gun, not for better optics. With the Rugers DBM there is no reason to use a forward mounted optic. A low powered scope conventionally mounted is faster at close range and more accurate at long range.

A regular rear sight mounted on the barrel with a scope in QD mounts would have been better in my opinion. But at least with the Ruger the rear peep sits in the rear scope dovetail. It could be carried in a pocket or pack and replaced fairly quickly after removing a conventionally mounted scope. An 18-20" barrel minus the flash hider and a lightweight stock would make more sense to me.

Quote:
After seeing the speed at which a few of the "guru's" at the local range could cycle through a bolt action rifle with accuracy- I knew that it was possible to use one in MANY different scenarios.
With practice a bolt gun is amazingly fast to shoot. I've done a little work with another person timing me and can get off 3 shots in 1.8 seconds with my bolt guns. Very little slower than the levers which run around 1.5 seconds for 3 shots.
Old November 13, 2012, 03:47 PM   #20
Willie Sutton

Having worked one-on-one with Colonel Cooper on the Scout Rifle concept in the 1980's, and having a few of the original prototypes in my safe, here is what I believe Jeff would have said about the Ruger;

What they have managed to manufacture is a modern Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine with a forward scope mount, not a Scout Rifle as defined at Gunsite during the Scout Rifle conferences. It's close... but it's not a Scout Rifle.

Those who think that it should have a rear-mounted scope do not understand the Scout Rifle concept at all. Ditto those who favor the extended magazine.
Or the lack of a bipod.
Or the lack of a mid-mounted flush sling attachment point for a Ching Sling.
Or the presence of a conventional front sight, rather than one mounted on the forward edge of the front scope mount.

etc., etc...

Hate to be a scrooge, and I am VERY sure it's a VERY nice rifle, but it misses being a true Scout Rifle by a mile.

BTW, the Enfield Jungle Carbine was one of the rifles that we studied when coming up with the concept. Ditto the Remington 660, and the Krag Jorgensen. Each had it's own strong points and weak points. They were all studied in detail. Jeff's own personal "proto-scout" had a short CZ action. ine was built on the Remington Model 7 action. Neither was perfect. Only the Steyr Scout is a definitive Scout Rifle as defined by the Colonel.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; November 13, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:33 PM   #21
GeauxTide

I was intrigued by the LH edition, but the price was out of bounds. I bought a Scout Squad.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:34 AM   #22
TheBear

Willie Sutton:
Why dont you post some pictures of the scout rifle prototypes that you have in your safe? Im very curious...
Old November 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #23
robertsig

I couldn't get past the mere 16" barrel on a .308. Yikes.

I built my own Scout'ish rifle with a Tikka T3 CTR (20") and a new CDI bottom metal to support 10rd mags. It's perfect.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:03 AM   #24
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Having worked one-on-one with Colonel Cooper on the Scout Rifle concept in the 1980's, and having a few of the original prototypes in my safe, here is what I believe Jeff would have said about the Ruger;

What they have managed to manufacture is a modern Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine with a forward scope mount, not a Scout Rifle as defined at Gunsite during the Scout Rifle conferences. It's close... but it's not a Scout Rifle.

Those who think that it should have a rear-mounted scope do not understand the Scout Rifle concept at all. Ditto those who favor the extended magazine.
Or the lack of a bipod.
Or the lack of a mid-mounted flush sling attachment point for a Ching Sling.
Or the presence of a conventional front sight, rather than one mounted on the forward edge of the front scope mount.

etc., etc...

Hate to be a scrooge, and I am VERY sure it's a VERY nice rifle, but it misses being a true Scout Rifle by a mile.

BTW, the Enfield Jungle Carbine was one of the rifles that we studied when coming up with the concept. Ditto the Remington 660, and the Krag Jorgensen. Each had it's own strong points and weak points. They were all studied in detail. Jeff's own personal "proto-scout" had a short CZ action. ine was built on the Remington Model 7 action. Neither was perfect. Only the Steyr Scout is a definitive Scout Rifle as defined by the Colonel.

Willie
I understand Coopers design. I also disagree with many of his requirements.

-Forward mounted scope sounds great in practice, it is lousy in usage other than as a "red dot" type optic and it is inferior to that in my experience. If I am going to lose most of the magnification advantage, I might as well get the no parallax advantage/improved visibility of aiming point of the red dot. Besides, with a small magnified optic like a 2-7X33 you still have most of the peripheral vision of the forward mounted optic with a much better magnified view. Yes you lose stripper loading ability, but you have detachable magazines.

-Bipod. Why? It isn't going to be something that you are running round extended all the time, if you have time to deploy and set up a bipod, you have time to setup a good shooting postion on a rock, log, backpack, etc and you aren't limited by the height of the bipod.

-Load one, shoot one. Again, why? This was proven a useless feature in WWI, to the point of potentially being a liability if you had the cut-off engaged when you really didn't need it to be. With detachable mags, just swap to a new magazine when you run empty and keep a full magazine "in reserve" for an emergency. (Better continuation of training since magazines are changed all the time, magazine disconnect, probably not that often)

-Ching Sling. Neat concept. Not that useful in my experience. If I have time to "sling up", I have time to build a good shooting position using a conventional sling or move to a point that I can get a good rest. If I don't have time to sling up, I need to make a shot right now, which means I need to get a flash sight picture and pull the trigger not grabbing a sling and threading my arm through it.

I do like the light weight, bolt action, detachable magazine, fixed front sight features though, flash suppressor (I would prefer it was removable so a combo flash/suppressor mount could be substituted. Like an AAC Blackout)

I would want it with a rear sight that would allow the use of either a conventional or forward mount (fold down or pop up), semi flush fit detachable magazines, controlled round feed action, light weight polymer stock.

Like the Steyr Scout without the bipod, extraneous sling point, magazine cut-off although I do like the option of having a 2nd magazine in the stock. (Except the ridiculously high price)

But, I am just a shooter. I don't have the experiences that Col Cooper did, so he probably knows something that I don't.

Good luck.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:39 PM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I put a couple of mag's worth through a friend's Ruger Scout. Forward mount scope. Looks to me to be as good a walking-hunting gun or truck gun as a person could ever want. Me, I'd use a 4- or 5-round mag, though. I like to carry a rifle at the balance point when I don't sling it on my shoulder.