The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 29, 2012, 10:53 PM   #1
stantheman1976

Crossbreed, Theis, SHTF: any MAJOR differences?

I'm looking to get a SR9c shortly and need a good IWB holster for it. Do the different brands have any major differences? I've been looking at Crossbreed or Theis and noticed that I can get a SHTF ACE-1 on Amazon. So as far as build quality and comfort are there any major differences amongst these brands?
Old May 1, 2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Sixer

I could be wrong here ... BUT these holsters have got to be the most copied design around. I handled a couple of the brands you mentioned, and the difference seemed slight, if any.

Just 2 clips, a piece of leather (cow or horse), and molded kydex. Again, I could be wrong... but I think Tucker Gunleather was one of the first to offer this hybrid style of holster, called "The Answer". Now everyone and their uncle offers some variation of this holster.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "hybrid" holsters, but many people swear by them. Is one better than the other? Probably not. Just MHO

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 1, 2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I can only speak to the Crossbreed. I started carrying three years ago with a Crossbreed Supertuck, one of their belts and a Glock 33. At the time, Crossbreed used plastic belt clips. Shortly thereafter they changed the clips to metal. My plastic clips broke after a few months. When I called to see about replacements I found their customer service to be exemplary. They apologized for the problem, told me they had switched to metal, asked for my address and sent them out. I had the new clips in a couple days.

Today, I use the same holster and belt, both of which still work perfectly with no real signs of wear beyond discoloration of the leather and increased flexibility at the most often bent places.

I cut my holster down to the "combat cut". I recommend getting the regular cut and cutting it yourself if you find that you want it done. I'm sure it's prettier when they do it but if you do it yourself you can try the regular way and see if you like it.

I didn't have money to waste on the box of holsters under the bed that I read so many people have before they find one they like. I researched heavily and found virtually no negative reports about Crossbreed. I bought it and have been glad I did, from day one.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4
stantheman1976

I don't think I've ready anything negative about CrossBreed. I'm thinking I'll likely go with them.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:58 PM   #5
MagnumWill

+1 on the CrossBreed. I'm wearing mine now in the car, waiting for my wife to finish class. I have a good feeling that they will be the only holsters I buy. They take a while, but the wait is worth it.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:05 PM   #6
zoomie

Another positive for Crossbreed. I'm sure the others are just fine (it's a painfully simple design), but I don't have time or money to waste testing unknown products. When I went looking, the name Crossbreed was in every google search and forum and the comments were always flattering. So that's what I bought and I've been happy with it ever since.

I also tried the Milt Sparks for the same reasons (ubiquitous and popular), but I've since sold all of those.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
saands

I have a couple of Theis hybrids. I would have taken the safe approach and gone with the Crossbreed as well, but they didn't make the model I wanted. Theis did, and he made it and shipped it within 36 hours of my order getting placed. I was impressed. The quality is great and I think that he is slightly cheaper than CB ... even if you go with the horse-hide. After the first one, I couldn't see any reason to wait longer and pay more for something else ... I have nothing but good things to say about the Theis holsters ... and IMHO they are a great value.

Saands
Old May 3, 2012, 09:58 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

I went through a half dozen IWB holsters before buying the crossbreed. Haven't bought one since.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Yung.gunr

I have a Comp Tac CTAC holster that I really like for my XD9. It's a good sturdy IWB one that I can tuck my shirt in while wearing it. It has Kydex (I think) belt clips that seem VERY sturdy. Since they are black they blend right into the belt.

I bought mine from a guy on here about a year ago. While I do admit I don't carry it as often as my TCP it is pretty comfortable and VERY sturdy/stable.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...j4fpbt35c62cv7
Old May 6, 2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Theis. Good quality and CS. Tommy's just a great guy to deal with. (Bearing in mind that I haven't owned the others mentioned.)
Old May 6, 2012, 07:43 AM   #11
swinokur

Is a lack of religious symbols on the belt clips a major difference?

Theis hands down if it is.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #12
MagnumWill

Yeah, I know. It's a bummer that the guy from CrossBreed is a bit of a religious zealot, but he's a real nice guy and he can build a hell of a holster.

I'll take the belt clips with the little crosses over the plastic MTAC ones any day. .
Old May 14, 2012, 09:54 AM   #13
swinokur

I have had zero problems with any Theis holsters, including the plastic clips I bought from him and put on my Supertuck.
Old May 14, 2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur
Is a lack of religious symbols on the belt clips a major difference?
I know that the clips on an IWB of this sort are fairly discreet, but I do prefer not to have any identifiable markings on them.
Old May 14, 2012, 03:46 PM   #15
OEF-Vet

RKBA He is a member here and makes great holsters of any verity. He
Made my crossbreed and it's so comfortable I forget it's there.
Old May 14, 2012, 03:47 PM   #16
OEF-Vet

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482100
Old May 18, 2012, 07:56 PM   #17
Bronco4me

I was considering a Crossbreed mini-tuk. Instead, I went with Theis Holster and my PM9 rides real nice in it. You can pay a lot more if you buy a Crossbreed, but you won't get any better...