The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 8, 2011, 01:40 PM   #1
TheRoadWarrior

TN CCW law Question

I want my wife to get her CCW in TN, but I found a law about no weapons on playgrounds and rec buildings or parks. The whole purpose of her being armed is to protect our children and ourselves from muggers/rapist kidnapping etc. and playgrounds and parks are common areas children are abducted or muggings occur. Is it legal through intent of self defense?

39-17-1311. Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds. -

(a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by ยง 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

I saw in the news lately that a college student was raped at gunpoint on campus because she could not carry her concealed weapon...but the criminals can! After the fact now, she can carry her weapon on campus, but she was raped and the criminal raped and killed another girl a week after her in the same college! All I think about it how that could have been my daughter.
Old April 8, 2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Are you asking if you could be justified some how in carrying at a park? According to the law, no.
Old April 8, 2011, 03:59 PM   #3
patrickmn

A law was passed a couple of years ago that said people with permits could carry a gun in a park, but cities can pass their own ban on guns in parks. I don't know the law's name or number, but it was big news at the time because local governments had to deal with the issue on a town-by-town basis. Call city hall.
Old April 8, 2011, 06:01 PM   #4
TheRoadWarrior

Thanks, I was just curious if anyone had any insight on this matter. I called the Sheriff's office in my county and they said that there would have to be criminal intent or some sort of negligence for any charges to be brought upon a mother defending herself or her children in a park, so the deputy basically said that my wife could do it as long as she doesn't brandish it, and that she could defend herself as long as she didn' pop rounds in an attackers direction and hit bystanders etc.

I personally wouldn't bring one, but I will be deploying again shortly and I want my wife to feel confident in her ability to defend herself and family in a wide variety of situations. Criminals attack where they know you are the most vulnerable, it is never a fair fight.