The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2007, 12:54 PM   #1
GoSlash27

building up loads for semiauto

Is it better to work up loads for semiautos using the lightest bullets in the box, the heaviest, or doesn't matter?

Last edited by GoSlash27; March 24, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old March 24, 2007, 07:01 PM   #2
steve4102

What box?
Old March 24, 2007, 08:48 PM   #3
GoSlash27

The box the bullets came in.
I weighed all the bullets and separated out all the ones that weighed less than 165gr and all the ones that weighed 166 or more.
My thinking is that a too-light or too-heavy bullet might cause a failure to cycle correctly if my load is marginal, so if it works with the outliers I should be fine with more "normal" bullets.
My question is should I use the light ones to work up my loads, the heavy ones, or don't worry about it?
Old March 24, 2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Edward429451

Use both to work up your loads. Continue to weigh and segregate them and load smaller lots from the same box. The exact weight usually is not as important as consistency of the lot so as long as you don't go outside the WT variance limit, consistency is there. If you wind up with a handful of rejects that are a collection of hi-low bullets...load those for blasting ammo or for your egotistical shooting buddy to have challenge with.

The lighter the bullet the less WT variance allowed, the heavier the bullet the more WT variance allowed. I don't remember the percentage vs WT constant that was given. Keep good notes on everything.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:50 PM   #5
cheygriz

With 165 grain bullets, you're gonna have a couple grains variation either way. I wouldn't worry about it. Use 'em all and work up an accurate load that is 100 percent reliable in your rifle.

If a grain ot two of bullet weight, or even 5 or 6 grains causes failure to function, there's something seriously wrong with the basic load/
Old March 27, 2007, 07:42 PM   #6
ShootingNut

GoSlash

a grain or two variation in bullet weight isn't going to make a diddly differance.
Heck, the powder manufacturers talk about a 16% variation in the powder.
Just load staying within the start and max load range for your "approximate" bullet weight, and fire away!
Old March 27, 2007, 09:02 PM   #7
rwilson452

Some time back when I was in search of a 150 gr hunting load for my 30-06 I wound up with 52gr of RE15. Having too much time on my hands I started to vary the load by .1gr increments to see what difference it would make. when I had gotten to 51.5 and 52.5 with no measurable difference in group size I stopped. Now when I load my hunting loads I still use the scale but I'm not to picky about what goes in the case. if it's close it's close enough.

I can't say that about my 22-250 or what I have done thus far with my 223 loads