The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2000, 10:45 PM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

No, I don't mean Rich is embarassed.

Last week, I sent off for "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Yes, *that* Lee.

Yesterday, I bought the 13th Edition Speer Manual. Was up until 0100 this morning, mostly drooling and giggling over the tungsten penetrator.

Today, the Lee manual arrived in the mail.

I don't expect to get much sleep over the next few weeks.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 18, 2000, 09:15 AM   #2
mcshot

Have you purchased Ken Water's PET LOADS yet? My favorite book of books which keeps me up many a night. And if we didn't have three feet of snow on the ground I'd be out trying some of the loads.

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000
Old February 18, 2000, 11:52 PM   #3
Bud Helms

'Just finished Hanna's Volume I of the Scotch-Irish in America (yes, "Scotch-Irish ...", I didn't misspell the title). I am about 150 pages into "Trinity" by Leon Uris. GOOD book (fictionalized history) about the beginning of the Irish Catholic vs Protestant unpleasantness that survives to this day.

But no fiction can measure up to Parker O. Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders", Vols I and II, Plaza Publishing (SLC, UT).

In Volume I: "Pressure", p. 131; "Headspace", p. 151; "Bore Capacity" (and expansion ratio), p. 165; "The Lowdown on Reloading Dies", p. 219; and last but not least, "A Simple Chronograph", with A.E. Ellinger, p. 191.

In Volume II: "Case Life with Full Length Resizing", Fred Huntington, p. 78; "A Few Notes on Pressure Problems", Les Bowman & Bob Hutton, p. 96; and two articles by Homer S. Powley, "Figuring Bullet Energy", p. 99; and "Figuring Recoil", p. 102.

That's just a small taste ... so much to learn, so little time ... too bad we have to work for a living.

I don't have the Lee or the Waters book. Need to go shopping.
------------------
Sensop

"Get your mind right and the body will follow." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi dan, Keishinkan do.
Sensop's Corner

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited February 18, 2000).]
Old February 22, 2000, 12:39 PM   #4
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Protool, I read the first few chapters of "We rule, the others suck" in the Lee book and put it away. Then I went back to the Speer manual.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 24, 2000, 05:51 PM   #5
Futo Inu

Lyman's 47th also has a lot of useful information. I wish there was a monstrous granddaddy of all reloading books, put out by someone besides a powder or bullet maker, which would have all the reload data from top to bottom for all cartridges with any interest today, wildcat or not, plus the history of the cartridges and all wildcats stemming from it, even those gone by the wayside. Basically putting together all reload manuals and the Ackley volumes together in one. Does Sharpe's "Complete Guide" go this far???
Old February 25, 2000, 09:30 AM   #6
Covert Mission

you guys (esp you, sensop) are experiencing hardcore reload dementia! I love it.

Right now, i just buy cheap ammo in bulk. soon i'll join you in this pursuit, and will be begging for advice (hopefully BEFORE a kaBOOM!)