The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 1999, 11:44 AM   #1
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

I was lucky enough to be invited to an English Pheasant shoot over Thanksgiving weekend . If you have never been to one and get an opportunity to attend I would encourage you to attend if only as a spectator .
On this drive there were eight shooters called guns. And eight loaders. Each shooter has two guns. In this case they were from $80,000 to 125,000 each ,matched sets of Purdies. Side by sides. I have never in my life seen such a collection of high dollar guns! The guns are placed on positions called pegs. After each drive they rotate pegs so every one gets an equal position. The Pegs are located in the bottom of a creek to that the flushed birds are flying at 50 to 60 yards high. As the birds flush in front of the beaters they fly over the shooters in flights that darken the sky. The shooter shoots both barrels and hands the shotgun to the loader and then shoot the other shotgun. To watch the actions of the shooter and loader is something to see. Behind the pegs about 50 yards are the men with dogs who pick up. I have never seen such beautiful working dogs. They work the area where the birds fall and never miss recovering a cripple.

At the end of the shoot there had been 400 pheasant shot by eight guns. For this the shooters are given a brace of birds and have paid the equivalent of $1000.00 for the privilege.

On this particular shoot men had come from as far away as Hong Kong , Canada and the US.
Old November 30, 1999, 06:50 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Not sure I would go - something about a gun that costs more than my house scares me...

Giz

------------------
Vote Democratic! 1 Billion Chinese can't be wrong......

Old November 30, 1999, 08:16 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Good posting, liked it a lot..very reminiscent. Sometimes hedges and spinneys are used where there are no watercourses etc.
How did you go, get a few high cock-birds!? Missed allhe beaters 'who lurk beneath leafy screens' ?!

Shooting for the rich is OK I suppose, but most normal UK shooting is mixed game rough-shooting(you take what comes up)with light SxS shotguns (not the formal shoot with beaters etc) and costs far less, with far cheaper guns (by people like AYA and Miroku.)

Ordinary farm shoots are usually on Boxing Day with gamekeeper preparations for next one soon afterwards.
I prefer the rough shooting though....

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old November 30, 1999, 11:43 PM   #4
Long Path

When I die, I want to come back as a Mac-- this man's life is my fantasy...!

Congrats, Mac!