The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 13, 2006, 07:39 PM   #1
coolridelude

should i wear deoderant

should i wear deorderant?

i go to school on fridays for about 2-4 hrs. when i know i will go hunting with a friend of mine i don't wear deorderant neither does he. is that bad?
i am not going to school to me somebody.

i do take a shower but with water only, plus it helps me stay up.

but if i do were deorderant what should i use so that i don't scare away the feral hogs or the coyotes?

we kill them becuase they run away the deer and kill the turkeys.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
indybrad

I usuall get some Scent-Killer, or one of the other scent elimination deoderants.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:20 PM   #3
rapier144

They make unscented deorderant for hunting
Old March 13, 2006, 08:44 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

I Have Heard That The Human Scent Is Stronger And Animals Will Notice You More If You Stink. I Agree With The Above Reply Of Using Unsented Deodorant.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:51 PM   #5
coolridelude

have you guys usedUnsented Deodorant?

which one would you recommend?
Old March 13, 2006, 08:53 PM   #6
BIGR

I use the unscented deordorant for hunting and also use some of the scent killer sprays and also cover scents.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:59 PM   #7
rapier144

I've used it but at the moment i couldn't tell you what brand it was. But it did work pretty well. I believe i got it at walmart in the hunting section. +1 on using the scent killer sprays.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:59 PM   #8
coolridelude

BIGR,

what kind of scent killer do you use?

so i can buy some.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:07 PM   #9
Death from Afar

If the deer can smell your deoderant, he can smell your BO. Besides, BO is not a hit with the ladies.
Old March 14, 2006, 05:37 AM   #10
Desertfox

I am a 10 year bowhunter and a 2 year rifle hunter. For close encounters you should concider the Hunter's Specialty line of scent control. This is not the only line, but it is a good one. Others work equally as good.

I use the Bar soap, my hunting buddy uses the liquid.
I use the underarm deodorant.
I use the Laundry detergent
I use the Drier sheets.
I keep my clothes in scent free bags.
I use the scent elimination spray on my boots and clothes.

I harvested 7 deer in 2 states last fall. 3 bow, 1 muzzleloader,3 Rifle

The best thing you can do to keep from getting scent-busted is to play the wind and wear rubber boots. Only wear those rubber boots in the woods.

One big mistake hunters make is wearing there boots in town and even filling up the truck with gasoline while wearing those boots. 20 minutes later they are in the woods. The parking lot smell is trailed everywhere they walked.

Play the wind. Get some cheap rubber boots and only use them in the woods. The bar soap is around 4 bucks. The spray from HS is about 7 for a big bottle. The feeling you get when deer are walking below you, and don't know you are there........priceless.
Old March 14, 2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Wild Bill Bucks

I don't know how true it is, but I have had a lot of guys tell me not to wash camo in the washer and dryer because it puts little fuzz balls on the camo that makes it more visible to deer in the early morning or late evening light.
I can't say for sure because I always hand wash my camo in a stream and air dry before storing in scent proof bags.
D.FOX is telling it right, the biggest two mistakes that I have seen hunters make over the years is storing their camo on a hanger, in a closet, that is open to all the odors in your house(bacon frying, smokeing odor,scented candles,ect.) since you live there, you won't notice the odor, but the deer will.
The other one D.FOX covered is your boots, you should NEVER wear your hunting boots, anywhere besides in your hunting area. I bought a pair of good hunting boots several years ago, and they don't see the light of day except in the woods. I don't even put them on until I get in the woods.
Deer have an excellent nose, and will pick up ANY faint odor you might leave while walking, and anything strange to them, is a reason for them to gather up some gone.
I also use a scent nuetralizer called Scent Away. It can be had at walmart or about any hunting store. Fairly priced and seems to work well.
I spray it on my body before getting dressed and again after I am dressed(not to heavy or you will water log your camo) I take a small bottle with me to the stand and if I touch something, like my ladder, I will spray it down after climbing up, just for safe measure.
Old March 14, 2006, 05:25 PM   #12
coolridelude

thanks

thanks for the info i will go out and buy some rubber boots. and will check wally world for the scent odor.

thanks

Desertfox,
thanks for that info, will do
Old March 14, 2006, 06:08 PM   #13
Pointer

Quote:
The Human Scent Is Stronger And Animals Will Notice You More If You Stink.
+1 :barf:

There is ammonia in your sweat...

Ever smell ammonia?

If it doesn't belong in the woods, it will "spook" the game...

Try Ivory if you don't have access to the hunter's deoderant...

The Indians washed up in the creek. (Burrr) They didn't have soap, they used to rub their bodies with bruised leaves so it would cover their scent...
They had to get a lot closer to the game hunting with bows and arrows...
and they weren't using compounds or even recurves.

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 14, 2006, 09:23 PM   #14
BIGR

coolridelude,

I have been using some of the H & S scent killer sprays from Wal-Mart. They also make one that is called earth scent . I have used it for years, but man my wife raises H##l when she smells it. I love to smell it because it smells like fresh dirt and reminds me of being in the woods. Don't know if anyone else has ever tried the raccoon urine spray but I have used it as a cover scent on the bottom of my boots the past two seasons. This past season I had bucks and does walking right in my tracks and they didn't seem too concerned. I saw more deer the last two seasons than I have seen in 10 years combined. Like the other guys said, don't walk around the gas station in your hunting boots or hang out a the local bar in the cigarette smoke. You get fuel on the bottom of your boots and ol bucky will avoid you. As far as my clothes I try to wash them in the special non scented detergeants and then put them in the H & S bags that zip up. I add the H & S scent wafers to the inside of the bags.
Old March 14, 2006, 10:41 PM   #15
roy reali

The Other Predator

Right now, mountain lions are doing a number on the deer population in certain areas of California. What scent blocking device or product do you think they are using? Find out and duplicate it. Then you can get as close as they do to deer which is within pointy stick range.
Old March 15, 2006, 02:54 PM   #16
dfaugh

Use unscented Mennon deodorant, and Ivory soap. I wash my hunting clothes in Baking Soda (both for no scent, and no "brighteners" that make you glow in the dark for animals that can see in to the ultrviolet better than we). I also use coverup spray (Earth Scent) as well.

Is all of it really that important? probabaly not, but I need all the help i can get!

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old March 15, 2006, 07:36 PM   #17
Wild Bill Bucks

Roy

I think you got a good idea, but I can't run fast enough to catch one.

Iv'e never even seen a Mountain Lion but from what I gather out of my hunting manuels, I think they tend to work up wind of their prey, and jump from higher vantage points Wow, that sure sounds like how I hunt. I've been telling my wife for years that I should be the King in my house.

It didn't work, she says when I can run like a lion, then I can roar like one, but not until.
Old March 15, 2006, 08:10 PM   #18
dragonfire

in all honesty ive hunted for 12 years now never used scentblockers and never paid close attention to where my boots have been,and i always see deer,not always bucks but deer anyway
Old March 15, 2006, 09:43 PM   #19
Desertfox

dragonfire,
Do you see deer at 20 yards or 120? I see deer under my treestand almost every time I hunt. Sometimes right below me, sometimes 15-25 yards away. I have seen deer cross my trail and go to alert 2 hours after I left it. That is after much attention to scent control. If you use some of the items listed above( I didn't list everything I do for bowhunting) you may see more and better quality deer.
Old March 16, 2006, 01:52 PM   #20
SemperKnight

I believe it depends if you are ground hunting or tree hunting. I used to go buy all the best camoflage and scent killers (including deoderant) and cover scents. I don't any more though. I tree hunt most of the time and try to get at least 20' up. I take a shower the night before using regular irish spring soap and brush my teeth before I go out. I killed 3 doe and 2 buck this season,and only went out 7 times. Largest was a 6 point white tail 173lbs with an AK47. This is what gets every one I know that hunts. I had just got home from a rough day at work and decided to blow a few rounds to blow off some steam. No shower, no brushed teeth, no scent killers,no cammys, and no cover scents. I started into the woods and immediatly jumped 2 doe. L I B might wanna turn on this reflex QA hologram scope i thought to myself. Stalk walked on in and 100 yrds later at the bottom of small hill next to creek stood the 6 point standing about 40 yrds from me. So I slowly brought rifle on line and killed him on the spot. 1st shot knocked him on his a$$ but he was attempting to get up so I fired another. No more movement. The kicker is I was up wind. The only reason I can conclude that these deer don't associate human scent as all that dangerous is because there are nieghbor hoods on both sides of where I hunt and the deer in that area have become accustom to human scents. Also when way up in a tree the deer won't readily see you and your scent is carried away from your location by breezes and makes any deer scenting you think you are where you aren't.
Deer are in my observations some kooky crazy stupid animals. Especially during the rut. I went hunting with a friend once and we both got a buck. We were draging his back to his truck and when we got close we saw about 6 deer hanging out around his truck. Looking in the back and into cab through glass.
Your fore fathers didn't have all the crap they market today. They had no camoflage. they had no cover scents or scent elimenators, and thier weapons weren't as accurate so they had to get way closer. Yet they were sucessful. You do the math and save your money. Hunting should not be an expensive sport. But the product marketers will have you thinking you can't be sucessful with out thier products.
Now I do have to admit I do put out attractant scent around my tree. I use Hunters Gold. Also I use my deer call and rattle. but I don't wear speacial camouflage or scent killers/covers.
Old March 16, 2006, 08:27 PM   #21
rc_racer_007

If i am gun hunting,,, ill wear my normal deoderant.

now bow hunting.... im a scent freak. You have to be. The scent free deoderant I have, i think its scent-a-way SUCKS id be better off wearing nothing. I totally smell like BO come the end of the way. I was RANK this year after i got my doe with a bow, it got into like the 70s midday... tracking,, then draging it out... yeah RANK.

I need to find another scent free deoderant.
Old March 16, 2006, 09:56 PM   #22
coolridelude

so what are good scent free deoderant. i will want to look into that.

don't want to scare away the 2leg does anymore.
Old March 17, 2006, 12:54 PM   #23
Wild Bill Bucks

My wife came up with a pretty good thought.

Here in Oklahoma,Texas area, this year we can just stand in the camp fire smoke, and the deer will think we're just part of another damn grass fire.
Old March 17, 2006, 02:23 PM   #24
Desertfox

Semperknight,
Just a little humor. No offence intended.
Innercity deer may be wearing head phones and listening to rap when you find them. There smellers may be filled with smog and they cant smell anything, or they are wacked out on the meth. I don't hunt innercity deer with neighborhoods on both sides with an AK. You must admit that this is not the average whitetail hunt.

Most of us hunt in the country. We don't believe deer are stupid. Anything can happen on any given day in the deer woods. Yes deer act goofy during the rut. The stories are in the millions about people doing everything wrong and still bagging a deer. After that first shot of rifle season, mature deer are very wary of smells. The more you can do to cover your smell, the better chance you have at finding Godzilla Buck.
Check the monster bucks of record and see what the hunters were wearing and doing.

It sounds like you have a great advantage over the rest of us. I can never sell you on scent control because you have had success without it. Maybe after a couple of seasons of bad luck you will change your mind.
RC Racer If I hunt, shoot, track, field dress, and drag out a deer, I don't know of any deodorant that would keep me from being rank. HS scents stick deodorant works for me.
Old March 18, 2006, 11:42 AM   #25
Wild Bill Bucks

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where I have deer in my backyard, and I live on the edge of the city limits, with about 40 houses around me.
I have 40 acres on my property here, and if I walk to the back I am just over the city limit boundry. This allows me a place that I can bow hunt on with out being in the city limits.
I also have other properties that I hunt with bow and rifle that are WAY out in the country.
The difference in hunting the two locations is NIGHT and DAY.
The deer I hunt at home are far easier to hunt, than the deer in the other places in the country.
I have been in this conversation with hunters at deer camp at least a hundred times, and I have come to realize that arguing the point is useless, but I have also made the observation, that even though all of the hunters will kill a buck of some sort, the really trophy bucks, seem to come from hunters that take the extra step with their odor, and wind conditions.Not all of us spend a lot of money on the dollar maker products that are out there, but if you are going to be successful on a regular basis, you will be better off to treat your prey as if it were as smart as you are.
If you smell gasoline in the dark, you would be smart enough not to light a match to look for it, and a deer, if it smells you in a location, will be smart enough not to enter that location.