The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
thedaddycat

What I did with all the 9mm...

A while back I posted asking what everyone did with all the 9mm brass they picked up. When I pick up range brass here is how I process it. First it gets washed in just plain water a couple times to get all the sand and dirt off it. Then it gets decapped before getting sonic cleaned. Once dry it goes through the tumbler to get polished.

Anyhow, here's what I did with mine.

All of this is 9mm brass that has been decapped, most of it has been sonic cleaned and sorted by headstamp. Front row left to right is Win, R-P, F C, CBC, S&B, Speer, WCC and W-W. Back row is all unsorted. Left to right is heavily tarnished, uncleaned (waiting for enough to run a batch) and cleaned brass that's anything other than the first eight headstamps (plus any nickel plated of any brand). There was about twice as much Win brass (the tub was full) but I gave around 1100 to my friend. This roughly shows the distribution by head stamp of the stuff I'm picking up.

While my son was hospitalized and after his passing I needed something to keep me busy and allow me not to have to think. Sorting 5-6K of 9mm brass by hand, one at a time, helped.

I did the same with the .40 S&W brass. With this there is about 40% each of Win and R-P, a bit less than 10% each of Federal and Speer with a few others in the mix. Again the heavily tarnished brass has been set aside. At some point I will get a pin tumbler, probably for Christmas, and then we'll see how that tarnish holds up to some stainless steel.
Old November 15, 2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Marco Califo

Where did you get those yellow bins? They look stackable.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:01 AM   #3
mjm

I am sorry for the grief you and your family are experiencing. I have been there. It is tough. I did the same thing you are doing. I buried myself in something I enjoyed.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
flyguy958

Sorry for your loss, I can't imagine the hurt. I do find that immersing ones self in a task helps the mind move forward.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:15 PM   #5
rightside

Man, They do look good! Keeping my hands busy is always helpful to me during trying times. Sad for your loss.Keep up the good work!
Old November 15, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
thedaddycat

The yellow bin on the left and the blue one will stack one atop the other. I got these from the trash but I think you can get similar bins from Harbor Freight or similar sources. The four smaller yellow bins on the right are a nesting type of bin. When empty they stack inside each other. There are advantages and disadvantages to either type. Empty, the nesting ones take up a lot less space. Filled, the stacking ones allow you to see what's in them better.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. We are still trying to deal with the sudden loss and everything else that attends that. Today the last of his things were removed from his appartment. Going through all his stuff was like pouring salt in an open wound, especially seeing things that I had given him and now have back. On top of that we have to close out his accounts, like phone, cable, utilities, etc. I also have to change beneficiaries on some of my accounts and my will. So many things, most all of which will continue to be a sad reminder that my son is now gone....

Tell your kids how much you love them... TODAY- RIGHT NOW....
Old November 16, 2012, 07:16 AM   #7
poline

I am sorry for the grief you and your family are experiencing. My family too, has lossed a child. I too, spend more time reloading.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:45 PM   #8
thump_rrr

Sorry for your loss.
Remember the good times you had together.
Brighter days will come.
Keep yourself occupied as much as possible.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:11 PM   #9
rodfac

Sorry for your loss, fellow shooter...glad that you've found something to take you away from the pain for awhile. You and yours are in my prayers. With sympathy, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:16 PM   #10
warnerwh

Best wishes to you and your family. Very sorry to hear of your loss.