The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2009, 10:29 PM   #26
Win1892

7 year old Midway and a 6 year old Cabelas. Have tried my best to kill both of them, can't do it.

I'd buy both again.
Old December 23, 2009, 07:23 PM   #27

Bought a Midway about 18 years ago and it still works as good as the day I bought it. They had a recall 6 or 8 years after I bought it and I sent it in for some upgrade all on their dime.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:04 PM   #28
troy_mclure

i bought a frankford arsenal one. the motor died(had a bad lot) and they sent me a brand new one.

for <$40 you cant beat it.

i usualy rum it 24/7 for a couple weeks at a time cleaning up range brass.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 25, 2009, 01:35 PM   #29
wncchester

ALL of the vib tumblers use cheap shaded pole induction motors, exactly the same ones used in kitchen stove and bath vent fans. No tumbler maker does their own motors, they all buy them from motor makers. Any single production run will have some really good motors and some really poor ones. Attempting to draw parallels on the quality of one of those motors by looking at the color of the bowl is pointless, luck of the draw is all that makes a real difference, good or bad. Get a cheap tumbler so you won't lose much if it does burn out quickly.

Pull the bottom apart maybe once a year so you can put a few drops of a quality oil on each of the two bronze bearings and most of them will run forever. If the power wiring breaks off a motor, reconnect it and keep going.
Old December 26, 2009, 03:51 AM   #30
jimkim

Thumler's motor uses ball bearings. While most(if not all) of the other brands use the cheaper motors, and I believe may even be made at the same plant in wang-fu, Thumler's products are different. I've seen that with my own eyes. I don't own one, but that is only because room and board are more important to me right now.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:12 AM   #31
Crashbox

If I should decide to invest in a tumbler it would likely be a Thumler's Tumbler because if I ever had problems I suppose I could just drive for a couple of hours down to Auburn and get it squared away.

For the record, I have a small ultrasonic cleaner which works well for me so far (still a noob to reloading!).
Old December 26, 2009, 03:42 PM   #32
Peter M. Eick

I considered the dillon, but went with the Thumbler's tumbler. It was quieter in the store.
Old December 26, 2009, 06:23 PM   #33
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have a Lyman 1200 that I've had for about 20 years , it hasn't missed a beat yet . I use tuff-nut for cleaning and corncob for ploishing . If you never put case lube in your tumbler the media will last a long long time . I use laquer thinner on a rag to remove case lube . Try it you'll like it !!