The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 16, 2008, 12:10 AM   #1
ump45

Carry Ammo Count

How many of you that NORMALLY carry a handgun with a 15/16/17 round magazine (and no spare magazine) would feel uncomfortable carrying a handgun with a 8 round magazine and a spare 8 round magazine (to equal 16+1 total).

The total round count is approx the same.
Old August 16, 2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Striker071

Fight the way you train and train the way you fight. If that makes any sense. I have trained with 1 mag in the gun and two extras. number of rounds isnt really critical. You just have to know how many you have and be darn sure you are aware if things get heated. If your gun is empty you might as well have a rock. Know people that carry mags alll over the place... they feel what they carry isnt enough... comes down to what you feel comfortable with
Old August 16, 2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Threefeathers

When I carried my 1911, or Detonics I carried a spare mag and it often got in the way. That is one reason I went for a Sig 229 and a HK P2K.
Old August 16, 2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Hemicuda

9 times out of 10, when a semi-autoi had a feed problem, it is the magazine...

If I'm carrying a semi, I am carrying a spare mag... it is as easy as that...

NOW, with my little Smith snubby, I USUALLY carry a speed-strip with 6 extra rounds, BUT, if it isn't easy to do (no watch pocket) then I WILL carry it with just the 5 in the gun... (if it takes more than 5 to fix the problem, then I shouldn't be in that gunfight!)

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 16, 2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Keltyke

Stryker071 says it right. Train to fight with what you carry. I usually have a 10+1 pistol, but sometimes carry a 5 shot snubbie revolver. I confess that, when I do, I'm a little more conscious of my limited round count.
Old August 16, 2008, 12:49 PM   #6
fastbolt

Quote:
... NORMALLY carry a handgun with a 15/16/17 round magazine (and no spare magazine) ...
I don't normally carry a pistol without a spare magazine. Resolving a magazine-related functioning issue is generally most easily and quickly resolved with a spare magazine.

Think a magazine-related functioning issue can't occur? Spend more time at the range watching LE and CCW folks qualifying with their carry equipment.

Sheer 'capacity' doesn't cause me to lose sleep. I've carried issued pistols with magazine capacities of 15, 14, 12, 9, 8 and presently 7 rounds. I've carried personally-owned pistols with magazine capacities of 12, 10, 9, 8, 7 & even 6 rounds.

I used to carry a 6-shot .357 Magnum as an issued revolver, and still carry a revolver off-duty more often than not ... and it has a 5-shot capacity.

So, capacity doesn't cause me to stay awake at night thinking about it.

Knowledge, awareness, skills, accuracy, firearms maintenance and a suitable carry method for my needs continue to occupy my attention, though.
Old August 16, 2008, 01:13 PM   #7
jfrey123

The only way I'm ok with a reduced magazine is if it's due to a limited grip size.

Example: I would not carry an 8 round magazine in my full size Glock 17. That gun is designed with a large grip for the sole purpose of carrying 17 rounds and that's how I'd carry it. Why deal with the wasted space?

If you want a semi with two smaller mags, carry a compact version like a G26. That's the only time I will voluntarily carry a smaller mag (unless camping in California has neutered my magazine )
Old August 16, 2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Pat-inCO

Quote:
I have trained with 1 mag in the gun and two extras. number of rounds isn't really critical. You just have to know how many you have and be darn sure you are aware if things get heated.
Not entirely so. I do agree that you will fight the way you train. The part where I disagree is that when you train consistently with the same number of rounds in every mag, you come to a point where you "know" when the mag is running dry.

In other words, you learn to subconsciously count. In those cases you are reaching for the next mag before you - really - need it.

I have both seven and eight round mag's for my 1911 and I've literally had the next mag ready just before the last shot. I always load seven, no matter what the mag will hold.
Old August 16, 2008, 05:23 PM   #9
jabineer

My primary holster is the Smart Carry V so it's easy to carry a spare mag. When I carry my G19 I've got 15 loaded (I do not carry +1 anymore) and 15 in reserve. With my G36, it's 6 loaded and 7 round extended mag as a spare.

I practice speed loading with one round chambered so I don't have to rack the slide leaving my actual round carry count -1.
Old August 16, 2008, 10:04 PM   #10
FM12

You can never have too much ammo.

You might have not enough.

Carry what is needed for the expected situation, never any less: sometimes a 5 shot snubby and no reloads, sometimes a high cap semi and three mags, minimum.

Don't be paranoid, but do be prepared.
Old August 16, 2008, 10:30 PM   #11
Striker071

PAt- what I meant is ... number you have isnt critcal meaning 7 round magazine 12 round 17 round. Of course you want to have the magazines you do carry full. You have to be aware of total numbers ... if one mag then you have 8 13, 17 or whatever and be aware if you are getting close to empty. I carry three magazines... I know from experience if I am on the 3rd mag and the fight is not resolved it may be a time to use the last magazine to get you away from the fight and control the rounds you use.

So no I dont advocate putting 3 rounds in a magazine and calling it a day. You train full ... you fight full.

The point I was trying to make is it is a persons choice as to carry extra mags or speed loaders.

Ok Pat.. you train with 7 and you fight with seven.... that is the critical part. I agree with that mode of thinking 100%..
Old August 17, 2008, 01:27 PM   #12
tshadow6

8+8

The Bersa .380 CC I carry holds 8 in the mag +1 in the pipe. I keep a spare 8 round mag in my other pocket for a total of 17 rounds. I feel rather safe with that ammo count.
Old August 17, 2008, 02:06 PM   #13
fjk1911

Two 1911's, spare mag each. BUG 340CT, two HKS speedloaders.
Old August 17, 2008, 02:16 PM   #14
Keltyke

Quote:
Two 1911's, spare mag each. BUG 340CT, two HKS speedloaders.
Give me a break! All that in CT??? Where do you live, the middle of Gangland?
Old August 17, 2008, 02:28 PM   #15
fjk1911

Hardly.

Unfortunately there were nine shootings in the Hartford area last weekend - most during a community event in mid-afternoon. Still counting this weekend. Police have put a 9 o'clock curfew in place to try to control it. Then we can look at New Haven, Bridgeport and New London.

I may not live in those cities proper - in fact 45 mins away from Hartford on the water. I do suspect BGs have cars and travel though. We have had our share of bad stuff locally. When you live on the NYC - Boston corridor life is different that in Greenville - Spartanburg and we assess threats a bit more conservatively. If you are going to carjack a car would you go after a Kia or Mercedes?
Old August 17, 2008, 02:36 PM   #16
fjk1911

I suspect most people do not realize that Hartford is majority Hispanic and that New Haven is an illegal alien "sanctuary city" when illegals have city issued ID cards.

Living in a blue state is not peaches and cream.

Yes, the two 1911's and one 340 are my daily carry weapons.

Ever known a helpless female giftstore owner beaten by an aluminum baseball bat in the head while people watched? Yeah, he got 17 years. She got a ruined life. This happened in one of the most affluent little shopping districts at noon. Not one bystander would even throw a rock at the scumbag. By the time the cops came she was within a thread of dying. She is no longer an anti-gunner but was a flaming liberal before.
Old August 17, 2008, 07:31 PM   #17
Keltyke

Quote:
Unfortunately there were nine shootings in the Hartford area last weekend - most during a community event in mid-afternoon.
Wow! I'da never thought...everyone has to carry to meet the threat in their area. Have you considered an Uzi?

Keep safe.
Old August 17, 2008, 07:54 PM   #18
fjk1911

Most people don't think of some areas as being so trouble prone. I mean Hartford is the insurance HQ of the country right? Far from NYC, etc.

Recently heard that Denver has a huge illegal problem and the crime that goes with it. I fly in and out of there all winter and never gave it no never mind in my travels. Driving out to Vail at night, stopping anywhere for gas, etc. not really thing of a threat level.

My friends in and around Houston tell me that the Katrina leftovers have spiced up that area as well.

In New Haven they have started "ride by shootings". Yep, the shooter is on a bicycle which is supposedly easier to get away on and harder to identify - "I think it was some dark skinned dude with a hat on sideways on a blue bike" versus "a blue Caddy with a license plate starting with ABC with four bruvas, two with grills..." I kid you not. it sucks.
Old August 17, 2008, 09:22 PM   #19
dabigguns357

As most of ya'll know i carry snubbie 357 but don't carry more than whats in my gun.How many out there do carry an extra speed loader in your pocket.
Old August 17, 2008, 09:30 PM   #20
PaulBk

Quote:
Yes, the two 1911's and one 340 are my daily carry weapons.
How the heck can you conceal all that when the temp is pushing 90? Just curious...

-Paul
Old August 17, 2008, 10:05 PM   #21
fjk1911

Actually not hard at all depending on dress requirements... quite a few combinations.

I can get by most days with 5.11 tactical shorts / pants and I go with Galco Skyops IWB LH and RH for the 1911's, the 340 in the right front pocket and the mags and HKS speedloaders in the pouches up front - golf shirt out usually. In the 5.11 covert pants and tucked in dressier shirts, the Galco Skyops IWB works great on both sides with IWB mag holders and allows tucked shirts. Speedloaders stay home. Have a couple ankle rigs for the 340 as well and Sparks VMII with Kydex clips that I find to be a pain.

SigTac makes some nice CCW leather and cotton twill jackets for colder weather and the compression undershirts work pretty too.

Best regards.
Old August 17, 2008, 10:15 PM   #22
hoytinak

HK P2000SK 9mm 10 +1

Ruger LCP .380 Auto 6 +1

SW1911PD commander .45ACP 8 +1

No matter what I'm carrying I carry the mag in the gun +1 on my person....I do have a couple of extra mags in the truck for what ever I'm carrying though.
Old August 18, 2008, 09:11 AM   #23
ISC

I usually just have the 10 rd mag in my keltec with a 15 rd reload in my glove box. When I run I only have the 5 rds in my NAA mini revolver.

I never put much credence in the statements of people that claim to carry multiple guns and magazines. I figure they are either paranoid flakes or full of crap internet commandos that meant to say, "If I ever actually went out and wasn't behind my computer most of the time I'd have..... with me". The odds are much greater that carrying extra mags and large caliber weapons will cause you to print enough to get made as being armed (and subsequently become the first target in any sort of armed confrontation).

Additionally, having all that extra crap means that you're less likely to actually be carrying when you need it.
Old August 18, 2008, 10:28 AM   #24
The Great Mahoo

My usual carry guns are low-capacity ones. A 5-shot .357 and 6+1 .45ACP. I don't carry reloads on me at present, but keep some in my vehicle (which may or may not be with me.) I've been reconsidering carrying reloads lately, after reading what others carry, but haven't been so motivated to buy any belt-rigs yet, and my pockets fill up fast.

Personally, I don't see the need for tons of ammo for daily civilian carry, but its better to have and not need than the other way around. To each their own.
Old August 18, 2008, 11:09 AM   #25
Tuckahoe

I carry my 1911 using an eight round mag and one in the pipe. I see no need for more in everyday carry.