The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 2, 2005, 02:09 AM   #1
Kiehlroy

Me again :)

Hey guys. So, I also want to buy a "1862 Police Snubnose .36 Caliber Revolver" from Cabela's(Pietta), but I don't want to port it. I might buy the ported Kirst from River Junction for $249.95 but I heard mention of one around $230? So my question is this: can I buy an unported version for this gun? Or, if I get the ported one at River Junction, how much tooling do I need to do if I don't want to grind a loading channel in the frame as I have limited tools at my disposal and don't want a firearm? Thanks.

Micah

I also found some R&D converters at The Possibles shop. They're for Pietta 1851 - 1861 Navys but if I'm correct the Pietta snubnose uses the same frame. So, logic dictates that they should fit. For $50 less and, assuming that it is "drop in" like they advertise this seems like the better deal(As I dont want to port anything).
Old November 2, 2005, 09:10 AM   #2
MrAcheson

The problem with the unported colts is that loading them is a pain. On 1858 Remingtons you just drop the loading lever, pull the base pin, then pull the cylinder. It is easy. It is actually faster to reload this way than through a ported loading gate.

On Colt percussion pistols an unported cylinder means you have to drive out the wedge, take the barrel off, and then take the cylinder out to reload. Then when the cylinder is loaded you have to put it all back together again.

That is why ported colts make more sense even though you're making a firearm.
Old November 2, 2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Pezo

Old November 4, 2005, 10:36 PM   #4
MPP1423

hey guys,if your dealing with the possible shop you have found a great place!don knows his stuff there and can most likey help you with your questions.i have had several dealing with don and he is cool to work with.