The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Mousegun in your pocket or 38 Special snub on your ankle?
.32 or smaller mousegun in your pocket 65 73.03%
38 Special snub using ankle carry 24 26.97%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 21, 2013, 04:24 AM   #26
Racingsnake

I get back to the issue of having to go to work in smart clothing / jacket and tie. I think this procludes pocket carry of anything larger than a mouse gun and even then a MG may be difficult to conceal depending on the fit of the trousers.

If this is what one wears Monday to Friday it would mean going with mouse gun or going un-armed for most of the week.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:34 AM   #27
Double Impact

I would always choose pocket cary as to ankle.
But I pocket carry 45 acp at this time 32 just to small for me.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:15 AM   #28
1goodshot

Snubby in the pocket is what I do.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:07 AM   #29
seeker_two

Dress code & body type have a big influence on this choice. I have large thighs, so pocket carry doesn't work well for me. However, a shoulder holster with a high rise (almost in the armpit i.e. Kangaroo Carry) under an oversized shirt works pretty well. You'll probably have to experiment with several modes before you find one that works best.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:10 AM   #30
kahrguy

Carried a j frame for 20 years in a pocket and now a cm9 in the pocket or a once in a while 380 Nothing on my ankle even and nothing smaller than a 380 for defence.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:57 AM   #31
mega twin

The pocket 32's usually carry a couple more rounds than a 5 shot snub.
Important? Might be ,depending on the situation.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:13 AM   #32
comn-cents

I think it really depends. I've pocket carried or IWB carried for the last few years, but recently I've changed jobs and have gone to ankle carry. I use to be on my feet at work for 10 hrs, now I sit at a desk. Ankle carry works well sitting at a desk, easy to access. Like you mentioned, now I carry a bigger gun then when I pocket carry, same caliber just now more bullets.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:14 PM   #33
Gaerek

Unless I have my hand on the pocket gun, I'm faster drawing my G19 (wouldn't matter if it were any bigger or smaller) from my usual IWB holster in concealment, than my pocket gun. So, what I have is better for muggings, or active shooters.

For reference, I can draw, from concealment and fire a well placed shot at 7 yards in about 1.25 seconds. For my pocket holster, I'm looking at over 2 seconds. Of course, if I'm able to have my hand on the pocket gun (something I can't do normally with my waistband gun) it drops to less than a second. But the only time I'll have my hand on my pocket gun is if I perceive something might happen. A mugging is going to happen usually when you don't perceive it.

Small 9's are only a little bit bigger than .380's anymore. I'll take one of those over a .380 any day of the week, though my pocket gun is an LCR loaded with .38 +P.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:18 PM   #34
TailGator

Quote:
I think there are circumstances and dress codes that sometimes preclude the carrying of anything larger than a small pocket auto, for example, suite and trousers when calling on clients or a doctor practicing in a dangerous part of town.
Quote:
I get back to the issue of having to go to work in smart clothing / jacket and tie.
Suit coats, sports jackets, and lab coats are great cover garments, and make it very easy to conceal IWB. The choices of pistols are then much greater. I carry a G26 constantly in exactly that situation.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:08 PM   #35
m&p45acp10+1

I would choose pocket carry over ankle carry any time. Way faster to get to. I feel that if I am in a situation that I need to have my gun out. It needs to be quiclky acessable. I can also have my hand in my pocket on my gun without looking like a threat if I am walking across a parking lot of the burger joint, or grocery store.

If it were a concearn of dress. I would pick a Ruger LCP. Small, slim, and not too heavy. It is smaller than a pack of cigarettes in a pocket holster. They make a holster for it that makes it look like a wallet.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:50 PM   #36
kimbershot

seecamp 32--pocket carry in akin holster. xds--not quite pocket carry--hartwell appendix carry works real well.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:04 PM   #37
Stevie-Ray

.32 in my back pocket, always.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:14 PM   #38
Deja vu

i carry a 357 magnum snub in my pocket and my wife carrys a mouse gun (380acp) on the ankle.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 21, 2013, 09:39 PM   #39
stu925

Neither, I'd pocket carry the .38 snub. The S&W Model 36 is a pretty good choice for this although some would prefer a lighter hammerless.

Stu
Old February 22, 2013, 12:53 AM   #40
Dragline45

If a gun can fit in your pocket it can hide just as easily and more accessible IWB. Under stress drawing from pants pockets is slow and not fluid. Not a fan of ankle guns either unless in the workplace where you have limited options.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:23 AM   #41
JimmyR

Pocket

Racingsnake, I've followed some of your posts, and also understand some of the limitations in terms of access to firearms (South Africa if I remember right from a previous post, but I may be getting posts confused.)

Of the two you provide, I would go for the mouse gun in a .32, but not sure if I'd go much below that. I'd hesitate on a .25 without good quality ammo.

Falcon had a really great answer, and I'd echo most of his sentiments.

Although I would counter with the following: Does this have to be an eother/or question? Are you legally allowed to carry both? This might be the most comprehensive solution.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:18 AM   #42
2000ShadowACE

I carry my lcr in a pocket holster. .38 +p hollow points will get the job done in a mugging situation.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:40 AM   #43
Strafer Gott

Bodyguard 38+P XTP in the pocket holster. It snakes out nice and slick, and just melts onto the body for concealment.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:47 AM   #44
Seaman

"The bad guy might faint at the sight of a hairy calf " [TxFlyFish]

If Darwin had seen my hairy legs he would have claimed he'd found the missing link.

"Good luck getting your ankle carry out quick in an emergency. " [Kreyzhorse]

Done right, ankle draw is very quick, quicker from an equal hands free start than pocket carry. The ankle shooter also has movement working, recall an incident where a cop used his ankle gun successfully when his primary jammed, cop dropped to one knee, perp never got a shot off, ... stress ... tunnel vision.

Prefer a Walther PPK 32 ACP as an EDC BUG. Have tried a snubby on the ankle but a flat semi works better. Have, on occassion carried an S&W M438 38spl in a jacket or loose pant pocket, but it is not a quick draw, ... it is only IF you already have the gun palmed and half way out. However the snubby in the pocket has the great advantage of having the ability to be shot from inside the pocket, and this is clearly a life-saver.

Check your 6.

PS: cannot answer your survey, I do it backwards, semi on ankle (BUG), snubby in pocket.
Old February 22, 2013, 02:44 PM   #45
Gaerek

Adding to Seaman, there are advantages to ankle carry over pocket carry. If your job requires you to sit for most of the day, an ankle holster will be far, far quicker than a pocket holster. In addition, if you are on your back, say, you were knocked down in a fight or something, the ankle is a very easy and natural place to draw from.

The biggest drawback to ankle carry is that it requires you to come to a complete stop while drawing. There is no way to reliably draw while moving, and one of the most important things to do, if you can, in a shooting situation is to move while drawing (since being stationary while drawing makes you a sitting target, and puts you at a tactical disadvantage).

That drawback is enough for me to not recommend ankle carry as a primary carry method unless you are seated for most of the day. Great as a backup, not so much as a primary.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:59 PM   #46
buck460XVR

I carry in my pockets, IWB, shoulder holster and on my ankle, depending on the gun, my clothes and what I am doing that day. What others use is up to them, they need not try to justify their choice over mine, nor do I feel the need to justify mine to them. What one uses for their own SD/HD should be what they are comfortable with and what they are proficient with. What works well for others should be considered, but it should not be the defining reason. Knowledge and practice will show what works well for you and along with awareness of what's going on around you and preparedness, hopefully, will be all you need.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:18 PM   #47
Kevin Rohrer

I didn't vote as my choice wasn't listed: a 9mm sub-compact or .38Spl in a pocket holster. And this year, I may add a sub-compact .45ACP pocket pistol to the inventory.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old February 22, 2013, 06:39 PM   #48
Straightshooter629

I have never been a fan of any type of pocket carry, so my obvious choice is ankle carry, although I carry a 6 shot .357 in my Uncle Mikes ankle rig.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:35 PM   #49
Joe_Pike

Ankles are for BUGs.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:47 PM   #50
stephen426

I don't like ankle carry either. I feel it is slower than pocket carry and it is MUCH MORE OBVIOUS you are going for a gun. If you get a wallet holster for your mouse gun, the bad guy may just think you are about to hand him your wallet. Check out thess holsters.

I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis holster. I changed the profile to accomodate my Crimson Trace Laser. I just carry my wallet over the front of it and no one notices a thing. If you pocket carry, you HAVE to wear pleated pants. Darker colored pants are also much better for concealment.