The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
TargetTerror

460 S&W reloading Qs

I am fairly new to reloading, but have had much fun and success loading for my S&W 686. There is a used S&W 460 for a good price at my local gunshop, and I am seriously consider picking it up. Given the price of 460 S&W ammo, I will be shooting my own handloads exclusively.

I have a couple of questions, though, on what I need and where to get it. Bullet diameter is .452, meaning that any bullet of that diameter (and proper weight) will suffice? Basically, is any 45 LC bullet suitable, as far as size/shape goes?

Given the extreme velocities that the 460 is capable of, are there any hard cast bullets up to the task, or should I stick primarily with jacket bullets? Does anyone have any recommendations on where to good bullets for this caliber?

As for brass, does anyone have any place they recommend for picking up brass, new or once fired, in this caliber?

In case it affects your recommendations, my goal, at least short term, is to develop a mid to moderately hot load for off hand shooting at 25 yards. Once I've mastered that distance, I will probably develop a load for longer ranges, but that is down the line a ways.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Old July 25, 2007, 10:24 AM   #2
NavyLT

You need fairly sturdy bullets for the .460. Plated bullets are definitely a no-no, the plating will shed off in front of the forcing cone and jam everything up. I shoot 250 grain Hornady XTP's - they are cheaper than the 240 grain Magnum XTP's and the 300 grain XTP Magnums and shoot just fine. I load a really HOT load at 47.5 grains of Lil' Gun with the 250 gr XTP's and large rifle magnum primers. There is no data for the 250 bullet, but I have talked to Hornady and they said just to extrapolate between the 240 grain and 300 grain data available.

I have loaded Cast Performance 375 grain lead bullets and they work just fine. I think you will be OK with good quality, hard cast lead bullets - don't forget to change the compensator on the gun - there is one for jacketed bullets and one for lead bullets. The lead bullets come in heavier weights and by the time you pay for them, you would be ahead getting the 250 gr XTPs and gun cleaning is much eaiser.

I prefer Lil' Gun as the powder of choice for me - I did not like H110 and Titegroup didn't offer enough POW for our tastes.

The only brass I have used has been from Hornady ammo - the 200 grain SST ammo isn't bad on price. A local store and MidwayUSA is where I have gotten all my bullets for the .460 from. I have a little bit of brass from Corbon ammo as well.

Don't forget, you can also shoot .45LC and .454 Casull. The .454 Casull is what you might want to start with to get used to it.
Old July 25, 2007, 08:17 PM   #3
bigautomatic

I shoot Cast Performance bullets (mostly 360gr gas checked WLN) with great results, along with 300gr Hornady XTP mags. I like heavier projectiles to keep pressures down. As NavyLT describes, don't use cheap bullets with light jackets, you'll likely blow the jackets right off them. Same goes for the 454C, as the pressures are nearly as high as the 460. Starline is the best brass in my opinion, but I do have some Hornady cases that are holding up well after 5 or 6 medium loads.
Old July 25, 2007, 08:48 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I just cast some Saeco # 454 300 gr. swc with a Hornady gas check. They look great. They WERE a handfull to size, believe me. That linotype I used is some tough stuff! My friend has a souped up Ruger with a custom 5 shot cyl. and he is going to hot load it. LBT and CP offer some dandy heavy weight lead if you are going to want penetration over pretty bullets. I'll post the results when he gets everything set up.
Old July 26, 2007, 04:17 PM   #5
rnr

Quote:
---NavyLT---I have loaded Cast Performance 375 grain lead bullets and they work just fine. I think you will be OK with good quality, hard cast lead bullets
Isn't it the general rule that the faster a cast bullet goes down the barrel the more it will lead the barrel??? I take it you haven't found that to be the case tho. Is it the quality of the cast ? or what do you think?

I'm starting to load my once fired Hornady brass .460's and 454's too. Just wondering what your take on this is.
Old July 28, 2007, 11:37 AM   #6
TargetTerror

Thanks for all of the responses. I went to look at the gun (I had seen it listed online), but it had a deposit on it already by the time I got there. It was the 5 inch model anyways, and I think I'm going to hold out for the 8 3/8" incher.

NavyLT, why did you not like H110? I've had a pretty good experience with it for .357 magnum. How about Win 296?