The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2001, 01:49 PM   #1
melglock

Stock + Pistol Grip: Good? Bad? OK?

After shooting and dry-firing my Mossberg 590A1 (excellent gun), I'm having problems getting a good grip on it. Since I'm left eye dominant, I find that it's much easier for me to shoot left handed, but my left arm is screwed up. I can't turn my hand palm up, so it is very difficult for me to hold a conventional stock, either left handed or right handed (right handed, I can't hold the slide right, and I have to squint to aim.) I know that pistol-grip-only configurations make it impossible to aim or handle the recoil, so I'm thinking of using a full stock plus a pistol grip. I'm thinking of getting the SpeedFeed III stock as seen here.

What do you think of this configuration?
Old December 14, 2001, 04:05 PM   #2
jason10mm

If it is what you gotta do, then go for it. Just be aware that reaching the safety might be a bit difficult. Shouldn't be a big issue though unless you are on an entry team or something. LAter.
Old December 14, 2001, 05:12 PM   #3
Shin-Tao

Get the stock. You'll like it.

Do you try to shoot with both eyes open?
Old December 14, 2001, 11:12 PM   #4
Robby from Long Island

Have a Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical with attached pistol grip and find it's handling to be excellent. Very similar to the configuration shown in the picture.

I feel more positive control with the pistol grip than without. Also agree that shotguns with only the pistol grip and no stock to be almost totally unmanageable under recoil. Just my .02 cents.

Safe shooting.
Old December 14, 2001, 11:12 PM   #5
Rob62

I use a solid Speedfeed stock on my Rem 870. Reaching the safety is not an issue for me. But it will be for you with the Mossy, since you have the top mounted safety.

I find that I can consistently shoot better and hit my target faster with this type of a stock over the conventional one.

Rob
Old December 14, 2001, 11:37 PM   #6
melglock

This sounds like the plan. Does anybody know the pull of a SpeedFeed III stock? I've found the pull of the out-of-the-box stock to be too long (14"). Is there a model that has a 13" pull that still has the extra shell tubes?

I'm gonna have to get a bayonet as well, since the 590A1 comes with the lug. I want a gun that is both comfortable for me to shoot and has the maximum political incorrectness value. Are there any other accessories that I should get that would make the Sarah Bradys and Dianne Feinsteins wet themselves?
Old December 15, 2001, 03:12 AM   #7
swampgator

I think they make a "tactical" (I hate that word) ie shortened Speedfeed. I think I saw on the Vang Comp website. Worth a check anyway.
www.vangcomp.com
Old December 15, 2001, 10:54 AM   #8
lunde

Check out: http://www.speedfeedinc.com/
Old December 15, 2001, 05:27 PM   #9
melglock

Well I ended up getting the Choate pistol grip stock, which had spacers on it so I can adjust the pull. Man, it is much better now. I can actually hold on to the thing and aim it now. I also got a bayonet while I was shopping - what good is a bayonet lug without a bayonet?
Old December 16, 2001, 12:08 PM   #10
Coronach

My PD just switched over to Speedfeed III-stocked SGs, and I don't like them. However, that is personal preference only. I grew up shooting non-PGed shotguns and I have to adjust to the new style. The quality of the speedfeed seems fine.

If you like PGs, its a good stock.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein