The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2013, 01:07 PM   #1
bspillman

j c higgens by high standard question

was the model 20 the only pump that high standard made? i am looking at buying one but the seller can't tell me the model number. It is a pump and it does not have the muzzle looking choke or what ever it is on the end of the barrel.
Old August 28, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2
PetahW

H-S only ever made one pumpgun - the Flite King.

The Flite King had different model numbers applied, depending upon the gauge & features. (over a dozen model numbers).

The ones H-S made & badged for chain stores (like Sears/J.C.Higgins, J.C.Penny, Western Auto, etc) had whatever model number the particular contract called for.

The J.C.Higgins Model 20 = The H-S Model 200 Flite King.

The "muzzle looking choke" is the once popular PolyChoke (or, perhaps an aftermarket Cutts Compensator).

Both the PolyChoke Co. & Cutts had contracts to install their adjustable choke device (PolyChoke) or muzzle brake w/choke tubes (Cutts) on the shotguns of several different factories - to satisfy the demand for a shotgun equipped with anything other than a single fixed choke.

Old August 28, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
bspillman

Thanks for the quick reply. so if i see a pump JC Higgins it going to be the same as a model 20 or model 200, am I understanding that correctly. the one i am looking at has the badge on the stock.
Old August 28, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
PetahW

Not necessarily - Savage/Stevens (m-67) & Winchester (M1200) also made/badged pumpguns for Sears.

The H-S Model 200 series were only 20ga's.

Other gauges carried different model numbers, but they're all the same gun (action, etc).

The little silver-colored shield/badge on the bottom line of the buttstock was part/parcel of the Sear's spec'ed guns (The autoloaders have the shield, too).

Old August 28, 2013, 01:41 PM   #5
bspillman

so are the pump models a good reliable shotgun as the model 20? sorry im new to shotgunning and the only model that pops up when i Google is the model 20.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:21 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

What's your intended usage for this new-to-you gun?
Old August 28, 2013, 08:34 PM   #7
bspillman

Bird hunting mostly and maybe some fun shooting. I also want one because high standard made great guns from what I have read.
Old August 29, 2013, 03:45 AM   #8
CaptainChaos

If that "muzzle looking choke" is a PowerPac choke, then be aware that some people advise the use of fibre wad only; the PowerPac chokes have a gap between the muzzle and the start of the choke. The theory is that the petals of a plaswad could open up into this gap.

Being in the UK, this isn't an issue for me since we mainly use fibre wad, anyway.

Apololgies for the lousy photo but, for what it's worth, here is my M20 (with PowerPac choke):

Regards,

Mark.
Old August 30, 2013, 02:42 PM   #9
bspillman

Well I bought one. Its in decent shape, I have not shot it yet but it seems to function good. Two questions when I work the action if I dont slam it closed it doesnt lock, is this normal? And it also has slam fire capabilities, is this normal.
Old September 9, 2013, 07:50 PM   #10
EYEheartGUNS

captainchaos I have the same exact model 20, smooth as butter! WISH I had that 1887!
bspillman I slam-fire mime all the time! Its a blast! (no pun intended) hold that trigger and pump your heart out!
Old September 10, 2013, 01:06 AM   #11
CaptainChaos

It's not a *real* '1887, of course, but an Italian reproduction. It's a little more difficult to use than a pump but *really* great fun to shoot.

As for the M20, I had no idea that they slam-fired; I simply never tried it. My main gun is a 1982 M37 DSPS (in M&P livery) and that *definitely* slam-fires.

Regards,

Mark.
Old September 10, 2013, 06:54 AM   #12
jaguarxk120

Gentlemen, please "pump fire".
Old September 10, 2013, 01:07 PM   #13
EYEheartGUNS

have a 37 police special also! Very fun! Figured the '87 was a repro, but didn't wanna offend ya just incase it wasnt
Old September 10, 2013, 02:14 PM   #14
CaptainChaos

Quote:
have a 37 police special also! Very fun!
They certainly are.

Quote:
Figured the '87 was a repro, but didn't
wanna offend ya just incase it wasnt
Awww, Hell. This is the Internet - you're supposed to post first and think later.

If the '87 was real, I certainly wouldn't shoot it so aggressively. (I use the M37 and 1887 for PSG.)

Regards,

Mark.