The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 18, 2009, 11:02 PM   #1
cptnjm

Best Night Sights For Winchester 1300 Shotguns

Hi Gang.

Can anyone recommend, from experience, some good durable night sight replacements for:

a) Rifle sights on a 24" deer slug barrel of a 1300 ranger, and

b) brass bead front sights on both a vent rib 28" ranger field barrel, and an 18" round defender barrel?

I'm leaning toward Wilson Firesights for the deer slug barrel, as I found more info on them than any other kind.

Very confused about the bead replacements though. There seem to be magnetic, clip ons and screw ons with replaceable lines. Do you take these sights off when not in use or should they stay on the gun when you put it back in its case for carry / storage?

Thanks for your help.
Old July 18, 2009, 11:03 PM   #2
MLeake

This may be a stupid question...

... but what birds do you plan do you hunt at night? Owls?

I'm thinking in terms of a night sight on the 28" bird barrel, since I figure you'd probably use the shorter barrel for HD.

As to your question about whether magnetic sights should be removed for storage, I don't know, but would also like to know the answer to that one.

Last edited by MLeake; July 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Original wording could have unintentionally read as though I were calling the OP's question stupid, when I was actually making fun of my own.
Old July 19, 2009, 09:23 AM   #3
cptnjm

mleake,

Simply an addition to the 28VR in order to pick up the sight better, especially in heavily shaded areas or overcast days.
Eyes not what they used to be.
Old July 19, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
cedjunior

Tritium night sights are probably not going to be bright enough to make a difference in shade or dusk type conditions. They are intended for pitch black or near pitch black conditions. But I don't think thats what you have in mind anyway.

Williams Fire Sights are fiber optic, assuming thats what you're talking about. Truglo also makes a bunch of different FO sights.

Last edited by cedjunior; July 19, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
cptnjm

ced,
I'd use the defender for home defense, and the ranger with the other two barrels for hunting / targets.
Of the tritium vs fiber optic sights, which is preferable? Do they ever wear out aka cease to glow?

'Bet you could never tell I'm new at this - could you? thanks.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:19 PM   #6
MLeake

haven't used on a shotgun

but a friend put a fiber optic on his snubbie; it shows up quite well in daylight and dusk (IE indoor range), much better than the Trijicons and Meprolites on my pistols; not sure how well it works in very low light (HD at night).
Old July 19, 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
MLeake

Tritium sights do wear out

but I'm told that's around ten years out, so I figure I'm averaging $20/year for them.
Old July 19, 2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

Half life on tritium is about ten years, that means in ten years it will be about half as bright as when new. That's still enough light to make a difference, I have night sights over ten years old that are still useable.

See http://www.mmcsight.com/tritium.htm for more...

lpl
Old July 20, 2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Couzin

Cptnjm: I use the screw on replacement type hiviz sights on my bird and clays guns. You will need to experiment with what color light tube (fiber optic) works best in whatever light (sun, shade, morning, evening), background (sky, grass, trees), and against whatever your target color might be. The fiber optic colors don't fade or wear out. The light tube also helps me with my cross dominance issue - if I don't see the bright 'glow', I am letting my left eye take over and I refocus to correct.

The hiviz type light tubes can be broken fairly easy (especially when changing them to another color). I have a couple of the 'magazine' storage tubes and keep plenty of extras available. However, I never take them out when storing or cleaning etc. - they are not that fragile.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:22 PM   #10
cptnjm

Many thanks to all for your insight.

Couzin, I saw some of those screw-in HiViz sights at my local Gander Mountain store today, and will probably go with those.

Safe shooting everybody.