The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2006, 07:35 AM   #1
DynaBMan

44 Magnum hunting loads

I have a Ruger Redhawk 7.5" stainless that I am going to be hunting whitetail deer with this year. Several years ago, I had a SBH 7.5" that I reloaded for and I always use a 240 XTP bullet. In the area I hunt, 100 yds would be a long shot, with most well under that. I am not going to be able to reload this year, so I was thinking about using the 180 or 240 XTP round or another 180 HP or JSP round. I know the 180 bullets would have a bit less recoil, but I am not concerned with that at all. My main objective is accuarcy (I know different guns may prefer different rounds) and I know any 44 magnum round is more than enough for a thin-skinned whitetail deer. Any comments or suggestions?
Old October 8, 2006, 04:37 PM   #2
roadwarrior

I have successfully hunted deer with a 44 mag revolver and have always used 240 grain loads. The reason for that is the combination of velocity and downrange bullet energy seemed to be the best. Hornady sells boxes of 20-25 rounds with the XTP bullets. I've checked, there just as accurate as any reloads.
Old October 8, 2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Shooter 973

44 Mag hunting loads!!!

I have a handful of Ruger 44 mags. None of them shoot the lighter weight bullets as well as they do the 240-250 gr. bullets. Some of them don't even group the bullets, more like a shotgun pattern!!! Try the lighter bullets if you want but I have more faith in the mid-range bullet weights. A good 240-250 gr. will do the job!!! I just don't see the need for the 300- plus gr. bullet weights. I have shot 3 Mule deer with 44 mag handguns and haven't ever found a bullet. Complete pass through on every one!!!
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old October 8, 2006, 08:10 PM   #4
DynaBMan

Quote:
I have a handful of Ruger 44 mags. None of them shoot the lighter weight bullets as well as they do the 240-250 gr. bullets. Some of them don't even group the bullets, more like a shotgun pattern!!! Try the lighter bullets if you want but I have more faith in the mid-range bullet weights. A good 240-250 gr. will do the job!!! I just don't see the need for the 300- plus gr. bullet weights. I have shot 3 Mule deer with 44 mag handguns and haven't ever found a bullet. Complete pass through on every one!!!
I have always shot the 240 gr. bullets, but I haven't actually went deer hunting with them. I suppose I was just afraid I would have a pass through and not get any expansion and thereby very little or no blood. I have always hunted with a 30.06 and have had a habit of shooting the deer right on the point of the shoulder. Very effective and I have not had to track a single deer. My wife, on the other hand, fusses at me because it messes the shoulder completely up and is hard to dress out. We usually process the meat ourselves.

I suppose I will probably stick with the 240 XTP, but the 180 XTP looks promising as well.
Old October 10, 2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Ben Shepherd

My recommendation would be to use the 240 XTP. Put it right THROUGH both of the shoulders if possible. Yes you may lose a little meat that way, but you sure won't be tracking him very far.

Works for me anyway.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor