The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2006, 12:34 AM   #1
salber01

Stainless steel, if they make em we will buy em

Why is Ruger the only producer of stainless hunting shotguns? I can't figure out why with the popularity of stainless in all other gun markets the shotgun (the gun taken into the harshest environments) has been left out. Come on guys help let them know we will buy them.
Old February 19, 2006, 01:28 AM   #2
expeditionx

Just seen the new all stainless. Nice.

Last edited by expeditionx; February 19, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old February 19, 2006, 03:31 AM   #3
TopGun

Personally I wouldn't like to see top of the line shotgun makers like Beretta and Browning introduce stainless barrels. I for one enjoy the traditional looks about a shotgun, the wonderful wood and finish used with the design of hunting scenes on the receiver. With the use of stainless you would not be able to get a good traditional looking gun. The shotguns produced by Ruger that have stainless steel barrels comprise of a synthetic stock and forend. Maybe majority of people out there appreciate guns like I do, and the firearm market know what they want!

Steve

Beretta SPII
Miroku 9000
Old February 19, 2006, 09:15 AM   #4
HSMITH

Stainless steels suitable for gun making aren't nearly as corrosion resistant as 99% of people think they are.

Most don't make stainless becuase it isn't that corrosion reistant, most hunters want a dull dark finish, it is harder to work with and costs more to manufacture, and the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.

I would not buy one.
Old February 19, 2006, 09:22 PM   #5
publius

Although I think the Ruger, or any other o/u for that matter in stainless is an abomination, a stainless 870 would be the ticket for ducks. I would teflon coat it of course to stop the shine.