The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 25, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
keys85

Yugo SKS

This is more a bit of a rant...but, I bought a Yugo SKS in an absolute perfect, beautiful stock. First time out I was lucky to get the rifle to cycle twice. I was using wolf classic ammo. Yes, the gas valve was in the right position yes I cleaned the rifle.

There was a leak between the gas valve and gas tube. I fixed this problem by expanding the nipple of the valve a few thousandths with a vice and ball bearing. Next time out on the range the rifle cycled perfectly for 100 rounds. I did not, however, use wolf ammo. I was using completely copper plated bullets (casing and all)...some surplus of something I have no idea.

I heard - Do not use Wolf classic ammo. - So, did I fix a problem for nothing? I'm annoyed because I must remove the handgaurd to spin the valve to lift up the grenade sights now...because I made it a really, really snug fit. In anycase, I went ahead and plugged in a CNC warrior gas valve. This valve moves freely so I can go back and forth between grenade launching and semi auto. HOWEVER, the handgaurd has mucho play in it, it rattles, and if I seal off the barrel and gas tube vents and blow down the barrel, it leaks! I fear the rifle won't cycle with the new gas valve - which leads to an entirely other culprit.

It's the friggin' handgaurd itself. It's too short and not sealing up. First off, if these rifles were built for war, how could they make them so sloppy, they would have gotten the soldier killed quite easily.

So now, I either can't use my grenade sights when I'm playing guns, or, I can get a Tapco handgaurd that's made to spec to solve this issue. But if I replace the handgaurd I must get a stock to match and there goes the reason why I bought the rifle in the first place.
Old September 25, 2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Mike Gaines

first off Wolf ammo is cheap for a reason, second an SKS is like a M16-built to sustain a soldier not help keep them alive. Hence, for the most part, they are cheap weapon...nice job getting it to cycle as well as you did!
Old September 25, 2008, 09:11 PM   #3
ISC

Yugo SKSs are notorious for having problems with their gas systems and badbarrels. Consider ditching it and getting a norinco.
Old September 25, 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
MrNiceGuy

my norincos cycle wolf ammo without fail

i'd guess that you had a defect and that your fix just worked.
Old September 27, 2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Darren007

Quote:
Yugo SKSs are notorious for having problems with their gas systems and badbarrels. Consider ditching it and getting a norinco.
Ummmm....no there not. Some have had issues with the gas seal but thats an easy fix.
Old September 27, 2008, 10:42 PM   #6
ISC

ok, try this:
google:
"yugo SKS gas cycling problem"
55,100 hits

then google :
"Norinco SKS gas cycling problem"
8,190 hits
and most of them are posts talking about yugo malfunctions and how the norincos don't have those problems.

Your yugo SKS may be fine, but yugos are much more prone to cycling problems than any other SKS.