The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1
SC4006

Looking for info on Mossberg 590A1

Hello everyone. I am thinking about possibly getting a shotgun sometime soon when I have the money, and I am very interested in the Mossberg 590A1 Tactical Tri-Rail model. How does this one stack up to similar shotguns? I am specifically looking for any shotgun with an adjustable stock, pistol grip, 18-20" barrel and the option to mount a foregrip. I would be using it to possibly hunt with, protection, and just target shooting/plinking. I am not too interested in the bigger shotguns as I am not the biggest guy around, so I'd really like something decently small like the 590A1. Right now I have a lot of guns on my want list including a shotgun, so I think deciding which to get first will be a lot harder than deciding which model shotgun to get , but it would still be nice to get some info on this shotgun or any others for the future.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

Hey there. I personally prefer Mossberg over Remington, and for that reason alone, I prefer standard stocks over pistol grip stocks.

I am actually planning to pick up an 870 Police if I find one at a decent price so I CAN have a pistol grip stock style set up, but these types of stocks simply don't work well with the Mossberg design, due to the tang safety and slide lock button.

Now, getting back to the 590A1... I love it. I have the standard 590A1, and I replaced the factory plastic stock with the Hogue shortened (12") LOP stock. I have the standard bead sight version, but I also added the pic rail to the receiver with the Bushnell TRS-25 micro red dot. It works very nicely for my uses.

I'm not a big fan of side saddles either. I think they make the gun to fat. I like to keep it slim and fast. With the heavy barrel of the 590A1, it's already a heavy gun. I do have the Allen shell carrier on the stock of mine, so that little bit of extra weight is all the way in back. This set up works great for my uses.

Basically, my recommendation is that if you want the pistol grip with stock design, you'll be better off with an 870. Get the 870 Police if you want the quality of the 590A1. If you're heart isn't set on the pistol grip style, the 590A1 makes a spectacular combat shotgun.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
SC4006

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. I'll check out the 870 for sure. Also, I am not 100% set on having a pistol grip, I would definitely go without one if I found the perfect shotgun. Its just that i've held models that do have a pistol grip and I like the feel of them more than ones without.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.

Last edited by SC4006; January 26, 2013 at 08:38 PM.