The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 8, 2008, 01:39 PM   #1
SkiShoot

Compact for competition?

I see a lot of people recommending guns like the CZ 75B or CZ 75 SP-01 for competition shooting (production division). What are the disadvantages to using a compact model such as a CZ 75 P-01 instead of an SP-01, if it fits you better? (I'm just using CZs as an example--same argument for a G19 rather than a G17)
Old April 8, 2008, 01:44 PM   #2
armoredman

None I can think of, the P01 is also a very accurate reliable sidearm. It should do quite well in a competition. the only thing you give upto "bigger" competitors is magazine capacity. The SP01 has a 19 round mag, while the PO1has a 14 round mag. The P01 is more of a concealable sidearm than a competition one. Since you won't need to conceal at a match, concealability is a non issue.
If all you have is a P01, then you could easily use it for both jobs, competing and carrying.
Old April 8, 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Magazine capacity for USPSA Production (if that is what the OP refers to) is ten, period. Most of the compact guns with double column magazines can manage that, so you are at no disadvantage on "firepower."

The compact guns' biggest disadvantages are shorter sight radius and less muzzle weight to dampen the flip effect of recoil.
Old April 8, 2008, 03:49 PM   #4
RickB

Also, you may have to load ammo hotter, or use +P, to make power factor in a short barrel.
Old April 8, 2008, 04:13 PM   #5
jimbob86

Longer sight radius in a longer gun, maybe?

That's a moot point if the competition in question allows red-dot or holo-sights...

What is the point of the competion? Are you trying to win a battle of equipment, or are you trying to hone your skills? If it's the former, just get out your wallets and compare credit card limits. If it's the latter, use what you have, and shoot as fast and well as you can........ that sort of competition breeds excellence. The other makes for rule beater cartridges (9x23 comes to mind) and $4,000 race-guns and holsters that are not practical for use on the street. While it may be fun, it seems to have lost the "practical" part......
Old April 8, 2008, 10:51 PM   #6
jmorris

I often shoot a commander length slide in IDPA with little to no disadvantage (the pistol is actually probably more of an advantage). In IDPA your ammunition must make power factor out of the maximinum length barrel allowed in the class. So, in ESP, if your ammo doesn’t chronograph legal out of a 4” barrel it doesn’t matter as long as it will out of a 5”.
Old April 9, 2008, 06:29 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

A33102

I have played IPSC for a while, yet I have never-ever witnessed ANYONE able to buy their way to better......

Doesn't matter how much one spends.

I would also point out that rules are equal for everyone, so there is no way to beat rules.
(9x23 guns compete against like guns).

I myself do not subscribe to the "gun = toy" train of thought, as every single gun I've used in competition has been worn in real life.
My holsters are 'real' (after a brief flirtation -ka-ching!- with a 'race' holster; THAT gun now, when used in competition, gets carried in the same holster that it rides in on the street).

WHAT I'm getting at is I find it best to go with what one already has, and just get started.
The biggest regret I hear is not starting sooner; I harbor that same regret.
'Cause shootin' is fun.
Old April 10, 2008, 10:49 PM   #8
1SOW

+1 for WESHOOT2
I started USPSA with a Sig 239 9mm and an Uncle Mikes cheapy belt holster.
The gun has a short sight radius but is accurate. I did have to buy those expensive 10 rd mags. It comes up fast, and I did pretty well with it.

I did change to a CZ 75B 9mm with several gains:
It was heavier so my double-taps were tighter/faster.
For me, switching from point and shoot to longer range traditional sighting was better with the CZ.
I had more 'confidence' shooting steel at longer distances.
Accessories and extra equipment was a lot cheaper and more available.
It's easier and cheaper to tinker with...lighter springs, better sights, grips, +++

If 3-4 bad guys come in the front door the CZ is my weapon of choice, if not then the Sig will do very nicely.
Old April 12, 2008, 08:41 AM   #9
rhgunguy

There is one distinct advantage to using a shorter gun:lighter slide weight. On a semi a good bit of the recoil that you fight is reciprocating mass. Therefore, less slide mass, less recoil.

OTOH, you lose out big time on sight radius and capacity(if you are thinking of USPSA production then it is a moot point as 10 rounds is the max.

All that being said, if you shoot the smaller gun better, go with it or vice versa.
Old April 19, 2008, 11:40 PM   #10
Luis Leon

Skishoot,

When I first started to compete I used a G19. Fellow competitors advised me to go to a full-size gun. I transitioned from the G19 to a CZ75 P01. I did ok with the P01. I finally moved on to a CZ75b and couldn't be happier. It is a really accurate gun, I shot it stock for 2 years and recently added a fiber optic front and tactical rear sight. The new sights really make a big difference. I briefly tried shooting and M&P 9mm, but quickly came back to my CZ75b. I do carry my P01 during the summer, but do not shoot it in competition, though it is a very, very accurate compact pistol. Good luck with your decision.

regards,

Luis Leon
Old April 28, 2008, 10:41 PM   #11
p2000lefty

???

I started shooting USPSA this March and have not missed a weekend yet this year. I've made some good friends at the local range and we travel the state for competition. They have been shooting for years and will often tease me about shooting 9mm and a three inch barrel. This is the gun that I selected as a home defence item. Being a lefty I selected the ambidexterous HK P2000. I love this gun and may conceal carry if it is ever legal in my state. Every match I get better and though my friends tell me how much better I would shoot with a full size .40 gun I am comfortable with my choice. If I ever feel that I'm being held back by my gun, then I may change to a full size etc.... However, now this gun shoots better than my ability and probably always will. Find what you are comfortable with and practice then practice more. Get some training and practice some more. Find out how to maximize the gun you shoot not how much you can spend to make you shoot better.
my two cents,
p2000lefty

Last edited by p2000lefty; April 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: forgot to mention that I shoot USPSA
Old May 4, 2008, 02:01 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...a moot point if...if it fits you better?..." It's moot if you can shoot it well. Especially if it fits better. Nothing else is as important.
Competitive shooting is about having fun shooting. What pistol you use doesn't matter. None of the shooting games are in the least bit 'practical'. They're shooting games and nothing more. Go shoot with whatever you have and have fun.
Old May 4, 2008, 07:03 AM   #13
DWARREN123

For comp only a longer sight radius is better for most folks. If for CCW and comp go with what you are comfortable with.
Old May 10, 2008, 01:00 PM   #14
WESHOOT2

shooting games and plenty more

I suggest shooting 'games' teach gun-handling skills that enhance one's safety skills.
And technical shooting skills like grip or draw or reload.
And what actually doesn't work, whether it be gear, ammo, or attachments.
And confidence.
And the ability (hopefully) to act, with a handgun, while exposed to pressure (the amount is personal, just like during real-life events).

Confidence learned playing the 'games' is what I consider the grail.

So I use the guns I own, modified if needed but only for social event use, worn in social gear.
Except I use alotta weenie ammo (not-so-oddly, if I am happy with the reliable function and demonstrated accuracy, often that 'game' ammo is still in the gun for social wear).

It's about being involved, competing, learning, and camaraderie.
And a burning desire to win (no, I don't, well actually once --8-rd mags, 45 Minor-- , but I try....)
Old May 11, 2008, 05:52 AM   #15
OldShooter

Sight radius & other

My XD9SC shoots as well out to fifty feet as my CZ75B so I would not feel uncomfortable using it for IDPA.

I have a question, at these matches does anyone actually check for power factor by weighing bullets and checking velocities? I could be shooting my own soft reloads.

I've only shot IDPA once and my shooting was pretty good, but my ability to follow simple instructions wasn't so good.
Old May 11, 2008, 09:53 AM   #16
WESHOOT2

honorable behavior vs game

At 'big' matches power factor will be confirmed, but at club matches we compete with honor.

Presumably.....