The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 15, 2012, 12:42 AM   #1
TX Hunter

I have fallen in love with a Black Powder Rifle

I took an interest in Black Powder Rifles watching Jim Shockey on TV, I admit it. The Guy is pretty Cool.
Well the County I hunt in Started adding a Black Powder Season, and I thought it would be neat to try it.
I bought a Used Traditions Persuit from my Mother at her shop, it had all kinds of loads, pellets and supplies, then I added a Sling and later after Christmas a Leupold ultimate Slam Scope.
Today I took it out and sighted it in, and Its very accurate, easy to hit a paper plate at 130 yards, With a Double Pellet load, and a Jacketed bullet, then I thought I would play a bit, and used Round Ball over a Single Pyrodex pellet, it would still hit anything I shot at with very good accuracy, mild report and very little recoil. infact my 11 year old Daughter was able to shoot it.
The gun is so accurate, and feels so good, Im planing to use it during the regular season, and for Hogs during the off season.
I may be on here from time to time, asking questions and bugging you guys, And I will post pictures when I get them, but the Rifle is Cool, its black and silver with a thumb hole stock. I didnt know it was this adicting.
Old April 15, 2012, 05:29 AM   #2
deerslayer303

Congrats on your smoke pole. I have the Traditions Buckstalker, and that rifle started an obsession . Before you know it you will be buying all sorts of front stuffers just to find out what you've been missing I too plan to use nothing but Black Powder this coming season. The ole trust dirty dirty will get left out this year. But you found a fine support group for the addiction! That is pretty interesting though that the gun shot a round ball so well. I just may have to stuff one down my buckstalker for poops and giggles
Old April 15, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3
mykeal

We will assimilate you. Resistance is futile.
Old April 15, 2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
That is pretty interesting though that the gun shot a round ball so well.
Yes it is. Fast twists don't usually shoot round balls well unless the powder charge is really light. I guess nothing is set in stone.
Old April 15, 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Being the traditionalist muzzle loader that I am, I want to comment.
But, this being Sunday morning, I'll stay polite and silent.
Old April 15, 2012, 08:06 AM   #6
AirForceShooter

Think Christmas.....Daughter

Kids love smoke.

AFS
Old April 15, 2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Andy Griffith

The biggest thing is, you are enjoying the shooting sports.

Perhaps your good shoot'n in-line will be the bridge that will connect you with other fascinating and highly enjoyable aspects of black powder shooting than other enthusiasts find so captivating.

I've got a couple of Traditions Pursuits that I haven't gotten around to shooting yet, and a .45 Knight Disc long barrel that I've had since that caliber was introduced by them- it shoots good.

Glad to have you aboard!
Old April 15, 2012, 08:31 AM   #8
TX Hunter

Thanks Guys

yes it supprised me with the Round ball and Single Pyrodex pellet, and we tried that close at a target I had zeroed in with and it was hitting perfect, so we started shooting at our 133 yard paper plate. ( we measured that distance with a Bushnell Backtrack) and were able to hit the plate, a little low in the bottom of the plate but still accurate hits.
And the recoil was mild. ive got several projectiles to experiment with this would be fun. Anyhow, I apreciate the kind responses.
Old April 15, 2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Beagle333

Welcome to the addiction. It is a LOT of fun. Let the collecting begin!!!
Now that you have a fast spin (twist), you gotta get a slow spin, and don't forget the no-spin (smoothbore).
Old April 15, 2012, 08:54 AM   #10
TX Hunter

Beagle 333

Yes sir, There is a 54 Calliber Lyman Buck Stalker Carbine that belongs to a buddy of mine Ive been trying to buy for years. It looks like something a Pioneer would have carried. Ive hunted with that gun, and would love to own it too. I even like cleaning these darn things, but my Wife says to do that outside.
Old April 15, 2012, 09:14 AM   #11
TX Hunter

Here is a Picture of my New Shooter.

Old April 15, 2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Pahoo

Exceeding one's expectations !!!

Quote:
Being the traditionalist muzzle loader that I am, I want to comment.
But, this being Sunday morning, I'll stay polite and silent.
Excuse me while I pick myself up, off the floor and I do compliment you. .....

TX Hunter
If you would, could you list both your shot-strings, in some detail, for us. Especially the one for the round ball. List your groups as well as twist. Some folks on the forum would find this of interest as it would answer questions that are routinely asked when shooting RB, out of a fast twist. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 15, 2012, 10:15 AM   #13
TX Hunter

Pahoo

Well I will try, The Jacketed load was a hollow point with a plastic sabot, Im not sure the weight, I will weigh it, but I assume around 250 Grain its a short bullet, but was accurate.
With the Round ball Load I used Hodgdon Pyrodex Pellets, they are supposed to be a substitute for 50 Grains of black powder, I seated a Speer .490 Round ball with a prelubed patch, and at 30 Yards we achieved about a half inch 3 Shot group, then for fun my daughtor and I started shooting at the paper plate we had 130 yards away, and were achieving about a 2 inch group in the bottom of the plate.
I didnt know the rifle was not supposed to fire round balls this well, I have no Idea what the twist is no the rifle, but it worked well Ive still got all kinds of projectiles the previous owner sold with the rifle. I hope my explanation helped.

It took a healthy scrubbing when I got back to the house, but of the many times we fired, the rifle never failed.

I hate to admit it, but this rifle is more accurate than most of my Centerfires.

The Pyrodex Pellet was Hogdon 50/50 if that helps. Single pellet under Prelubed Patch and Round Ball very accurate.

Last edited by TX Hunter; April 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old April 15, 2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Pahoo

Excellent work !!!

Quote:
I hope my explanation helped.
Yes, well done; especially sharing the day with your Daughter. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old April 15, 2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Jim Shockey on TV, I admit it. The Guy is pretty Cool.

Hello & Welcome TX Hunter: Yep (Jim Shockey) sure makes it look easy. One of the first & best out there. He's been one of the best advocates for Black Powder Sports that I know of. Now with that being said.

Quote:
I didnt know it was this adicting
Oh >wait awhile

Just a litt'l curious:
Have you given any thought about trying some Triple 777 (FF) Loose?
Old April 15, 2012, 01:30 PM   #16
TX Hunter

Sure Shot Mcgee,

I have tried some Loose Black Powder in a Traditional Black Powder Rifle, I would like to get some and use it in this one.
The Traditional Rifle shot pretty well , but was very finicky about what load it likes, I enjoy using them too though, as I like the look and feel of them.
The Traditional rilfe I fired was a Lyman Deer Stalker Carbine in .54 Calliber.
As well as this inline works, I bet it could be tailered to be a real tack driver with loose powder.
Old April 15, 2012, 01:31 PM   #17
deerslayer303

Twist

The twist on that Traditions Persuit is 1:28. All their inlines have this twist if I'm not mistaken. Well for plinkin that is a great idea for the round ball actually a heck of alot cheaper than slugs and sabots.
Old April 15, 2012, 01:50 PM   #18
TX Hunter

Thanks DeerSlayer

Thats what I will do, I like the light load for target shooting, but when I go after game I will step it up to two pellets and a Jacketed bullet.
I know the Rilfe can handle 3 pellets, but the I think its powerfull eneough with two. Probably safer too.
Old April 15, 2012, 02:04 PM   #19
TX Hunter

The Ultimate Slam Scope is very clear with great eye relief, the only complaint I have is the base and Rings I used didnt give much adjustment for eye relief. Its just about perfect where it is, but I wish the rings were a little farther apart. Its an Aluminum two piece Leuopld Rail, and two Redfield Rings. I have not tried to use the hold over points with the reticle, just using it like a regular 3x9 scope, but at the measured 133 yards, I could see my impacts through the scope. Its a good scope to mount on a Muzzle loader.
I dont picture taking two or 300 yard shots with this Rifle, but I feel that in the hands of a capable Rifleman, that It could be pulled off.
If Im ever lucky eneough to meet one I will let him shoot my gun and tell me if it will reach that far. LOL
Old April 15, 2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Hawg

300 yards isn't hard to do. I can hit a 5 gallon bucket most shots with a .58 Enfield at 300 with iron sights.
Old April 15, 2012, 02:15 PM   #21
TX Hunter

Hawg Hagen

Thats good shooting, Id need a much better prescription to even be able to see a 5 gallon bucket that far.
Old April 15, 2012, 02:21 PM   #22
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I have fallen in love with a Black Powder Rifle

Quote:
As well as this inline works, I bet it could be tailered to be a real tack driver with loose powder.
I bet you could. Especially so with a scope. Can (tweak) its powder charge some with loose. But, personally I've never seen anyone tweak a pellet charge. But than again nothing is impossible. Right? Here in this State where I am. Scope's are not allowed to be used in hunting situations involving modern inline or traditional B/P weapons. Stickily >Verboten!! Tougher crowd to deal with up here in the State Capital we got. Good luck with your new Traditions. Enjoyed your company Sir.__ SSMcG
Old April 15, 2012, 04:18 PM   #23
TX Hunter

Thanks Mr Mcgee

Thanks I really apreciate the help and advice I cant understand why you guys cant use scopes to hunt, each state has their own rules though I guess, the person that had the final say on that rule however was probably not a hunter, our only rule on black powder rifles in this state is that during muzzle loader season the rifle can only be loaded from the muzzle, rifles with revolving cylenders are not legal. Fair eneough.

I would have liked to hear what Rifleman 1776 had to say, but apreciate his being conciterate on the Lords Day.
If he only looked in my Gun Cabnet, he would probably realize that we are not far apart, most of my Rifles are in thier original military form, with the correct slings, and acesseries. I love traditional firearms too, but also enjoy inovation. My Lever action Model 94 does not wear a scope, and never will.
I am a Rifleman, and am happiest when I have a Rifle in my hands. Good day. And Thanks to all.
Old April 16, 2012, 08:26 AM   #24
Rifleman1776

TX Hunter, the original muzzle loading hunting seasons were set up to accomodate those who enjoy(ed) trying to relive history using the guns of days past. Those were traditional muzzle loaders, percussion and flintlock. The hunters were often also reenactors who chose a period on history to emulate.
However, for several years now, the term "muzzle loader" has been adulterated to include the plastic stocked, modern looking inlines bought in shrink wrap packages from Wal-Mart. They do not resemble anything traditional.
Those of us who wish to preserve history deeply resent these guns taking away our, formerly, quiet, low pressure hunting seasons.
They are modern rifles in different dress.
And, I'm still going to stay polite and not say what I really think.
Old April 16, 2012, 10:35 AM   #25
Pahoo

Thank you, Tony Knight

Quote:
They are modern rifles in different dress.
No, they are Muzzleloaders in different dress that have no further relationship to "our" favored Traditionals. No one should ever have a problem, making that distinction. ....

A Few years back, I had the "pleasure" of meeting Tony Knight, at one of his yearly auctions in Centerville. Did ask him how and why he started the In-Line thing. Basically said that M/L hunters wanted different performance, that the Traditionals of that time, did not afford. You can still see some of the legacy of hunters trying to get more performance out of their old sidelocks, by drilling and tapping their octogon barrels and bending the hammers, to accomodate the scope tubes. That was and is a real sacrilege. .....

As I have often posted, I teach and promote Muzzleloading and that includes both Traditionals and In-Lines. I could care less what anyone shoots but my passion, in in my Traditionals. I suspect that In-Liners don't really care what we shoot either or at least have never heard any of them bad mouth Traditonals. ...

Let's face it, In-lines are here to stay and growing by each seasons. I'm always encouraged when a new shooter shows and interest in the Sidelocks as I feel they are capturing the spirit and tradition that most of us have. ..

Keep Yor powder dry and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 16, 2012 at 02:37 PM.