The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 29, 2015, 02:06 AM   #26
BornToLooze

My 28-2 was my first gun that I bought myself.

Old August 29, 2015, 04:06 AM   #27
CajunBass

Follow up on BK grip adapters.

Quote:
Now that I thought about it, I ordered one for a Model 13-3 I've got on layaway.
I wrote that on Wednesday, the 26th. It was in my mailbox yesterday evening when I got home.

Not bad at all.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 29, 2015, 07:03 PM   #28
4D5

You got a nice score on that M28.

You'll really enjoy shooting it!

Old September 2, 2015, 11:43 AM   #29
dgludwig

I bought my Model 28-2, with the 6" barrel, new in 1977. It's been a very good revolver but I fall within the 99% of the public Sevens referenced when it comes to speculating as to which revolver is the most "aesthetically pleasing"; the spiffy Model 27 or its more homely sibling, the Model 28. "Eye of the beholder" indeed.
Old September 2, 2015, 02:09 PM   #30
TomADC

I sold this one a couple of months ago.

Old September 2, 2015, 02:32 PM   #31
Doyle

BorntoLoose, is that a pic of your revolver?
Old September 3, 2015, 03:11 PM   #32
Vet66

Thanks for all your replies, after thinking about the grip adapters I tripped upon a set of grips on evil bay. Very nice grips appear to be mahogany from
Thailand. Shipped to my door for an amazing $30.00 they feel good and, to me look good. I'm now able to put the original grips away in the box as not to damage them. Here is a picture of the grips I just installed.

Old September 4, 2015, 03:13 AM   #33
CajunBass

Look good to me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 4, 2015, 07:38 AM   #34
SaxonPig

Small correction on Amp 44's info. Target stocks (indeed full target options) became standard on the 27-2 in 1974. Prior to that the Magna socks came as standard equipment.

I have read a large number of comments similar to Amp 44's expressing preference for the 28 over the 27. I confess to not understanding this at all. I guess some guys would rather drive a Corvair than a Caprice.

I definitely have my preferences...

Have to stop due to image limit...
Old September 5, 2015, 09:29 AM   #35
Vet66

Quote:
I have read a large number of comments similar to 44Amp expressing preference for the 28 over the 27. I confess to not understanding this at all. I guess some guys would rather drive a Corvair than a Caprice.
I definitely have my preferences...
On a working gun I'm with Amp 44, don't need the bling really, but as you stated you have your preference. Nice revolvers by the way.
Old September 6, 2015, 11:11 AM   #36
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
expressing preference for the 28 over the 27. I confess to not understanding this at all. I guess some guys would rather drive a Corvair than a Caprice.
I don't see it that way, for me, its more like I don't need (nor want to pay for) chrome trim and fancy paint, leather seats etc., on a farm truck. Not an exact comparison, but close.

27s are beautiful, no question about it. For me, the 28's satin blue has always said "I'm all business". And its way better looking to my eye than Parkerizing. I'm also not a fan of polished stainless or shiny chrome finishes.

Other people love them, and that's great. That's why they make so many different versions.

I have my Dad's M29-2. Beautiful finish, high luster blue, and I wouldn't change it. Top end S&Ws are things of beauty and I respect that a lot. Its just for me, the "plain" sister of the prom queen dances just as well, and costs me less.
Old September 7, 2015, 03:06 PM   #37
dgludwig

QUOTE "...the "plain" sister of the prom queen dances just as well, and costs me less.

What if price was no object-would you still choose the Model 28 over the Model 27?
Old September 7, 2015, 10:23 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

The question really has no meaning for me. Back when I was "shopping", I had the money for either. I chose the 28 for sentimental reasons (my father had one), and once I had one, there wasn't really any need for me to get a 27.

I had four M28s a couple years ago, am now down to 2, and will be keeping one, no matter what.

If you want something the 27 has, get one. I happen to have a soft spot for the 6" M28, and my favorite one has the S&W target hammer and trigger. It is one of my two favorite revolvers.
Old September 8, 2015, 08:50 AM   #39
dgludwig

The "question" was really a rhetorical one. As mentioned earlier, I have a Model 28 that I purchased forty years ago and I have never owned a Model 27. However, money was a big issue for me back then but if price was no object, I most certainly would have gotten a Model 27 for same reasons that most people do: the splendid blue job and extra finishing touches. That said, if I were in the market for a used N-frame .357 Magnum today, I'd still opt for the Model 28 because, well, price is still an object for me.
Old September 8, 2015, 09:22 AM   #40
jad0110

Quote:
I don't see it that way, for me, its more like I don't need (nor want to pay for) chrome trim and fancy paint, leather seats etc., on a farm truck. Not an exact comparison, but close.

27s are beautiful, no question about it. For me, the 28's satin blue has always said "I'm all business". And its way better looking to my eye than Parkerizing. I'm also not a fan of polished stainless or shiny chrome finishes.
I was actually thinking about the pickup truck comparison before I ready your post. I appreciate the 27 and 28 for differing reasons. The 27 is a gorgeous gun, especially the top strap checkering. OTH, I do think their is something particularly menacing about the 28's "all business" look .

Picked up this 28-2 in around 2011 for $425. I do carry IWB when going to rough areas. In my hands, it is the most accurate handgun I own.

Old September 9, 2015, 05:16 AM   #41
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Colonel Douglas Wesson (grandson of Daniel Wesson) worked with ballistic experts to come up with a new cartridge..."

Phil Sharpe and Elmer Keith had both been after S&W for several years to develop an even more potent cartridge based on a lengthened case.

Sharpe, particularly, did a lot of the initial ballistics work, especially with bullets that both he and Elmer Keith designed.

S&W was apparently at first a hard sell on the project, and didn't want to pursue it. They felt that the .38-44 was more than enough cartridge and, that in the middle of the Depression, it simply wouldn't sell.

I've seen several possible scenarios about how S&W finally decided to pick up the project, with the most plausible being that Sharpe cornered Wesson, either in writing or in person, and sold him on the concept.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.