The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2013, 04:19 AM   #1
JKilbreth

Stainless steel tumbling media

I thought for sure someone would've posted about this, but the search option in Tapatalk returned no results, so I'll ask away.

About stainless steel tumbling media:
What are the pros and cons?
How long does it really last?
Is it worth investing in?
Does it polish brass without the need for liquid polishing solutions?
Can I use it in my Frankford Arsenal vibratory tumbler?
Is it only really used for that black, aged brass you find at outdoor ranges?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old September 3, 2013, 07:02 AM   #2
oldpapps

"What are the pros and cons?
Is it only really used for that black, aged brass you find at outdoor ranges?"

Pros - it cleans well, less noise and dust, runs in the house.
Cons - expense, some what slower to separate/dry, possibility of pins remaining inside of bottle necked brass (have to look).
Last - till is rusts or I loose it.
Worth investing - highly subjective, to me, yes.
Without liquid - never tried it.
Vibratory tumbler - don't think so, I use water mix.
Aged brass - I clean my bottle necked/rifle brass twice during loading, some never touches the ground and I seldom use a rattle tub and dry media.

Load with care,

OSOK
Old September 3, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

The SS Pins polish/clean brass as if it came from the factory.

It is a wet process, but much better than vibrators since the inside of the case is cleaned also. Just de-prime and run through the pins. Resizing is easier because the case's are clean so less lube is used. With the inside clean expanding the neck of rifle rounds is much easier.

Yes it takes more time, but in the long run it is worth it.
Old September 3, 2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I use them...

BTW... there have been tons of posts...

here is a quick search link...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=7224059

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old September 3, 2013, 09:13 AM   #5
JimDandy

It depends on what you call a pro and a con.

It's easily more expensive short term. You need a different kind of tumbler. The kit with pins, tumbler and a bottle of lemishine is usually a couple hundred bucks, compared to less than a hundred for a vibratory.

It's "cleaner" to pin or "wet tumble".

Vibratory tumblers are known for both a residue from the media, as well as media stuck in the flash holes.

It's theoretically faster overall. You spend so much less time tumbling, that the extra time you spend rinsing and drying is still less.

The pins inside the case issue washes with the media in the flashhole problem.
Old September 3, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6
JKilbreth

Stainless steel tumbling media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man View Post

BTW... there have been tons of posts...

here is a quick search link...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=7223903
I tried the link, but this is what it took me to:

It could be my device. I'll try checking from a normal desktop to be sure.

So, what all do you throw in the tumbler in order to use SS media? Obviously the media and the cases, but is it just water after that, then tumble?

I use crushed walnut right now, and typically tumble about 400 cases of 9x19 for 2-4 hours. How much time should I prepare to tumble in my hypothetical stainless cocktail?

Also, just so I'm sure of what I'm hearing: I CANNOT use SS media and water in my Franford Arsenal vibratory tumbler, right?
Old September 3, 2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

I relinked & it seems to work now...

I use a squirt of dish soap, & a Lee dipper or two of granular Citric Acid ( I have citric acid available at work ) most people use Lemishine which is a dish washing additive that contains citric acid

if you check the link again, it should work, there are several long threads about tumbling with STM
Old September 3, 2013, 11:43 AM   #8
serf 'rett

Quote:
What are the pros
Clean cases, as in really clean cases. Low noise level allows operation inside home. No dust. Never heard of anyone wearing out the pins. Only cost after buying equipment is dish soap, Lemishine and water.
Quote:
and cons?
Initial cost of equipment is 2 to 3 times higher (this will be offset over time by replacing the tumbling media - cob, nut, dryer sheets, NuFinish polish, etc.). Advanced planning is required to allow time for drying. I invert the cases in skeleton bullet holders scavenged from used ammo boxes – got to love dumpster diving at the range if you’re a true brass rat. There is a lot of noise (as per spousal unit’s sworn statement) when the brass is vigorously stirred during rinse, pin separation and shaking of excess water out of brass.
Quote:
Four years ago I started with 24 ounces of stainless pins in my three pound tumbler barrel. I estimate the tumbling time to be around 500 total hours to date. No pins have been added. Original pins are looking good and going strong.
Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I had low startup cost since I had the Thumler from the kids’ rock tumbling days. I only had to get the pins and a new drive belt, so it was worth my small investment. I seriously doubt that the stainless tumbling will make any bullets go straighter or further. Opinions will vary.
Quote:
Nope. Will need dish washing soap. The true stainless pin aficionados all swear by Dawn dish soap; however, the cheap Wal-Mart Great Value works fine for me. You will also get better results with a small amount of Lemishine (or citric acid I’ve been told). If just water is used the brass will be clean, but will often be discolored (as per the times I forgot to add the dish soap and Lemishine).
Quote:
Nope.
Quote:
Is it only really used for that black, aged brass you find at outdoor ranges?
All brass. Cleans inside and outside. I do pre wash the range brass to remove mud, sand, small gravel, grass, spider webs and other detritus.
Old September 3, 2013, 09:32 PM   #9
loademwell

I asked the same question a bit ago.. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531878

Depending on how many brass you want to clean at one time, It may be cheaper then buying any other device.

Rock polisher: $47.00 (Should be a good one. Have not gotten it yet)
Media x2 1lb bags $30.00.
Now just water, soap and some Cit. (have to find that)

All the polishers I have found are in the $80's and they don't have media.
Old September 4, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
rrruger

two things come to mind.

In working jewelry I use SS tumbling media to work harden parts that are softened be soldering. I don't know if the brass would harden enough to split or not.

number two: the SS shot included in the tumbling media is just the right size to lodge in the primer pocket of my small pistol primer cases (98 out of 100 cases)
So, you get to de-prime twice
Old September 4, 2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Sadly, I'm not a reloader (yet), but here was one thread on SSTM: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520125
Old September 4, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
zxcvbob

Quote:
In working jewelry I use SS tumbling media to work harden parts that are softened be soldering. I don't know if the brass would harden enough to split or not.
I wonder if they might stress-relieve old bottleneck cases and make them less likely to split. (example: surplus 7.62x25 is about 50 years old and was never annealed at the factory -- over half of them split on the first firing)