The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 9, 2005, 11:33 PM   #1
grizz007

Winchester barrel compat.

I have a Winchester model 670A and have a model 70 pushfeed barrel and would like to know if they are interchangable. I would presume the model 70 barrel will thread into the 670 receiver but that is just a guess. Any clue as to the truth of this? Both barrels chambered for a standard long action. I bought this 670A for 100.00 and is in pretty good condition considering it is somewhat grubby and have a new Model 70 Post barrel waiting for a receiver-hope you fellas can help me out here. Perhaps if my interest goes deeper I would have to opt for some tools ie...,thread gauge, barrel vise, few wrenches and headspacing gauges--should be good for a starter eh?
Old November 10, 2005, 12:25 PM   #2
grizz007

where is all the smiths? aside that question I have one more-I am persistent. What about the bolt sleeve is all 70 and 670 pushfeed the same? I figure the Post 70 to be more polished and smoother than this one. I noticed a small fracture that does not permeat the bolt behind the lug and alongside the guide so I am opting to replace the bolt sleeve I belive it is called. Any sources you know of that can help?

Last edited by grizz007; November 10, 2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Harry Bonar

bbl. complaint

Dear Shooter:
If there is ANY fracture in ANY part of the bolt or reciever - junk it!
Harry B.