The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 1999, 04:53 PM   #1
Coronach

I own a browning HP mk III, and I would like to get a laser for it, but I am not intersted in the usual bolt-on external units.

I already checked out Crimson-Trace's website, and they do not manufacture a lasergrip model for the Hi-power. I also do not think that the recoil-spring option (who markets that?) will work, since there is no exposed nut for the laser unit to replace.

Thoughts?

Mike
Old March 26, 1999, 07:42 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Coranach, the company that makes those is Laser Max 1-800-LASER-03. Give them a call and maybe they will have your answer. George
Old March 26, 1999, 09:35 AM   #3
Coronach

Thanks!

As I suspected, Lasermax (recoil spring guide unit) is not available for the Browning HP. Pretty obvious, really, since there is no place for the lens to be exposed.

Deh. I'll contact crimson trace and see if they have plans to make a lasergrip for the HP in the future.

Anyone know of any other laser sights that might work? I dislike the 'bolt onto the trigger guard' type immensely (easy to bump, requires a new holster, hard to turn on/off OR has wires and such). I'm not above taking the weapon to a gunsmith and having custom work done...

Thanks,
Mike
Old March 27, 1999, 07:47 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mike, Beamshot is the best, I think. It's the only Laser I carry in the shop. Their web site is at www.appliedlaser.com. George
Old March 27, 1999, 05:01 PM   #5
MAD DOG

There are only two justifiable uses for lasers as pistol sights, and one of these is marginal at best.
The good reason is a laser on a weapon to be used with Night Vision Equipment, especially goggles. This must be an IR type laser, as it will show up in the NVGs, but not to the unaided eye.
The worse of the two reasons is when used on pistols that are shooting around portable ballistic shield barricades, as used in High Risk Entry scenarios
Otherwise they are pretty much a "windshield wiper on a goats butt".
Old March 30, 1999, 11:33 AM   #6
Coronach

Well, I'll disagree with your opinion a little.

You get a nice intimidation factor from dropping the dot on someone...cops swear by this. Plus, once you have acquired the target and lit him up, you are a LITTLE more free to look around and take stock of your surroundings (I'm NOT talking gawking around, mind you).

One thing I'm sure you'd say, Mad Dog, and with which I would agree...laser sights are not some neat tool that should be used in lieu of learning to aim your pistol properly. Learn to use the sights the gun came with. They don't lie. they work in bright light. Their batteries don't run out. They're quicker to use than a laser.

Having a laser sight is just an additional capability...its no replacement for shooting skills or a true sight.

As an aside: I contacted crimson trace...they plan to market a lasergrip for the Browning HP pretty soon. FYI.

Thanks for the input, all.

Mike