The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Freakdaddy

New Galco Rig Pictorial Review - Very Picture Heavy

For an early Father’s Day gift, I just picked up a new rig from Galco for my M&P9c and as with all the other Galco products I own, couldn’t be happier. My other Galco items are for the 5” 1911 which include the Royal Guard IWB, Miami Classic II in black, Combat Master, DMC Mag Carrier and CB4 Contour Belt all in tan. This set consists of the Concealable Belt Holster (CON474B), DMC Double Mag Carrier (DMC22B) and the CB3 Concealable Belt. Even though I haven’t had a chance to actually “put it through its paces” due to just receiving it and an extremely hectic work schedule, I figured I’d at least try to give a good photo review to hopefully help others out. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so it’s pretty evident I have a million things to say. Let’s get started.

Nothing like the smell of new gun leather!

The pics don’t really do all these items justice in regards to the finish as the sheen and luster are perfect as well as the application of the color. This is something I’ve always been impressed with by Galco as well as their designs and molding characteristics.

The leather itself is 1/8” thick through the body of the holster and obviously ¼” thick where it overlaps for the belt slots. Stitching is nicely done and edges are honed and polished.

Old June 11, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Freakdaddy

Designed to conform to the contour of the hip and really be able to pull the gun in tight to the body giving it a very slim profile. I also really appreciate the forward cant it positions the grip at. One thing I would like would be a reinforced mouth like what’s on my Royal Guard as it makes re-holstering easier. Unfortunately, that would take away from the slimness of the design so as with everything, there’s give and take.

As with all my other Galco items, it’s a very snug fit to begin with. I put the gun in a freezer bag and worked it around some plus let it set overnight; now everything seems to be just right…snug enough to retain it during activity yet not so much as to be a hindrance to draw and present. You can also see the molded sight channel incorporated in the design. These are the standard factory sights.

Old June 11, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Freakdaddy

Ever since I bought my first DMC Mag Carrier, I’ve always liked the design so this was a no-brainer to pick up. It has two tension adjusting screws which is an extremely nice feature. It’s designed to be used with any belt from 1” to 1 ¼” using the belt slots and 1 ½” to 1 ¾” using the belt channel. The other advantage is when using the belt channel, it’s very easy to remove from your belt using the snaps as opposed to having to undo the entire belt should you find yourself in a situation where it needs to be taken off and left in the vehicle for whatever reason.

Old June 11, 2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Freakdaddy

Great fit for the mags and the compartments are spaced just far enough to not cause interference with the base plates yet still close enough to keep the entire system fairly compact.

Old June 11, 2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Freakdaddy

If you’ve never owned an “actual” gun belt, you have no idea what you’re missing! The thickness and stiffness of the leather makes all the difference in the world and it doesn’t matter whether you’re carrying a full-sized steel 1911 or a compact pistol. Factor in the extra weight of the magazines and no regular “work” belt is going to cut it without sagging causing you to constantly adjust everything. Not a good way to be discreet when carrying.

I’ve come to really appreciate the contour design belts as they are extremely comfortable right from the get-go. The CB3 has more of a tapered cut on the end as opposed to the CB4 I bought a few years back and I think I like this style better. It looks dressier and would definitely go with a suit better. Even for casual wear (99% of the time for me), it just looks more tailored and refined. There are a lot of good companies out there to choose from when getting a gun belt and many have some extremely decent prices. For the features I got with the CB3, cost comparison was very close but I knew the color would match perfectly (which it does) by sticking with Galco. I also knew if it holds up as well as my CB4, I’ll never have any complaints. As expected, the finish, stitching, edges and overall craftsmanship was impeccable.

Old June 11, 2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Freakdaddy

How does it all fit? Pretty good if you ask me! There’s just the right amount of space to thread the belt through the slots fairly easily yet not so much as to create play or shift when drawing the gun. There’s also enough surface contact that really seems to aid in offering resistance too.

I know some people like to frown upon Galco or say how their not worth the money spent. Granted, they are expensive for a “production” holster often pushing the price point of a custom holster. I’m sure there is a difference between them and a Milt Sparks, Alessi or any of the other “big name” custom makers but I’ve never seen one of their holsters to make an actual comparison but there is no disillusion in my mind that there is a difference. If you’re like me though and not prone to being patient enough to wait 6 months or better for some new leather, then I strongly think you’d be hard pressed to beat Galco for what they have to offer…a quality product in a wide variety of configurations for many makes and models along with good craftsmanship and a great finish but most importantly, readily available. I should know, I’m starting to get quite a collection of their items and I don’t see it ending anytime soon.