The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 13, 2012, 02:07 PM   #26
mapsjanhere

For the actual hunt, I swear by Barnes 168 gr TTSX. Wichester white box or Tula steel case for range raining.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:18 AM   #27
uwtriguy

First tests.

Well I got the VTR out to the range with mixed results the first time. Need to get comfortable on the trigger and the rifle in general. Had a my zero a full revolution off on the wrong come-up line so I was 14" off at 100 yards... whoops. After figuring that out I was able to start hitting 3" groups with Remington Core 150, Winchester Sup-X 150 and Herters FMJ 150. Not too impressive but I was getting worn down from the first time shooting both from anxiety and recoil.

Last night I shot at a friends with some more of the Remington, Herters, Winchester and bought some "better" Fusion 165gr. After getting more relaxed I touched 3 holes at 100 yards with the Fusion and then touched with my fourth shot using Remington. I can say I love this rifle and as I improve as a shooter it's only going to get better.

Thanks again for all the feedback everybody. Your passion for the sport is amazing!
Old October 6, 2012, 12:05 AM   #28
bacardisteve

I have had good luck with ultramax ammo loaded with the 165gr speer btsp for cheap ammo that shoots great and works good on deer. They use lake city brass so it good for reloading too.

Tags
308 ammo , grouping , match grade , target