The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 14, 2011, 07:08 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

SBR Air Rifle? NOT A JOKE!

First I will qualify my question... I am not a kid wanting a tacticool toy...
I am a 43 year old guy with a true niche to fill. I need this to dispatch trapped animals. My Gamo 1,000 fps air rifle is plenty powerful for this. I don't like the idea of buying a pistol when I already have this rifle and I no longer chase tree rats with it as I prefer to poke the shotgun out the door.

So if my air rifle is not federally a "firearm" is it free from NFA restrictions?
Am I free to cut the barrel and stock down to any lengths?
This would be nice for the few times per year I would need a one handed nearly muzzle contact use.

Brent
Old October 14, 2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Skans

Neither air rifles nor air pistols are regulated as firearms, so yes, you can cut down the barrel of of an air rifle without violating any federal laws. As to local or state laws, you would need to check that out further. FYI, there are full-auto bb machine guns - these are also not regulated under NFA.

http://www.drozdmax.com/

Bottom line - you can do whatever the heck you want with an air gun (for now) as long as it only use air/compressed gas for a propellant.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:47 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That is what I wanted to hear...
I remember the ads for the freon powered "3,000 bb per minute" gun before the advent of concern for the atmosphere...

Brent
Old October 15, 2011, 08:29 PM   #4
ausher

the down side to cutting the barrel down your gamo will no longer be a 1000fps air rifle depending how much you cut it down.
Old October 15, 2011, 09:30 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Do some experimentation before you cut the barrel down. You may need that barrel length for cocking leverage.

Velocity with springers is funny. Generally shortening a barrel of reasonable length will actually increase velocity a little because the pressure drops so fast during the firing cycle of a spring-piston airgun that the barrel friction usually dominates for most of the time the pellet is in the barrel. So the pellet is actually slowing down for a good part of the barrel length, not speeding up as it would in a typical firearm. The barrel length is there for cocking leverage and for extra sight radius.
Old October 16, 2011, 10:37 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

John, since I will no longer require a sight on the muzzle, I intend to make a little "cheater pipe" cocking tube to put over the barrel for that... I had considered a non slip fatter grip but I want minimal length from trigger to muzzle so I expect 4-6 inches of barrel... My only fear is that I will lose energy... If the pellet plops out of the muzzle on the first air pressure pulse but below the full air pressure release, I ruined a decent air rifle...

Brent
Old October 16, 2011, 10:43 AM   #7
chasep255

You're probably fine in florida. Where I live BB guns are considered to be the same as actual firearms and are thus subject to the same laws.
Old October 16, 2011, 11:25 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
My only fear is that I will lose energy... If the pellet plops out of the muzzle on the first air pressure pulse but below the full air pressure release, I ruined a decent air rifle...
In a properly designed spring-piston airgun with a properly fitting pellet, in an appropriate weight range for the caliber, the pellet starts moving as the pressure peaks. Or, said another way, the pressure peaks and then begins dropping as the pellet begins moving.

A very loosely fitting pellet, or one that's way too light, might give you different results, but otherwise I believe you'll actually come out ahead on velocity.

There is one thing you should be aware of. Some airguns have "choked" muzzles to improve accuracy. If your airgun is one of them then you may notice a decrease in accuracy as a result of shortening the barrel since you will remove the choked portion.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:28 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Accuracy is not an issue... reason for the project... Gun in one hand, critter in other... place muzzle to base of skull and inject 11 grains of plumbum to reduce anxiety...

This is going to be a small animal dispatching tool... No longer a hunting weapon.
A true "One trick pony..."

Brent
Old October 17, 2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Skans

What John said is right - folks will cut down barrels on some airguns mainly to help with overall balance - sometimes power is increased a little. I have a B21/22 knock-off of an RWS 48. It's a side-cocker and it really could use about 4" cut off the barrel mainly to improve its balance as its muzzle heavy.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Nickel Plated

Quote:
You're probably fine in florida. Where I live BB guns are considered to be the same as actual firearms and are thus subject to the same laws.
Interesting, because I know there is a large airsofting community in NJ and that means that they are all very possibly breaking some serious federal laws. Seeing as most airsoft guns are below 16" and are full auto capable. I guess that's why one of airsoft's more common mottoes is "Keep it to yourself and you'll stay out of trouble."

But as far as federal laws are concerned, as long as it's not propelled by fire in any way, it's not a "firearm" and even if it is, it may not necessarily be a firearm. So you can do whatever you want to your pellet rifle.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Lunicy

Airsoft guns are toys in NJ (so far)
True BB guns (Gamo, Crossman, etc..) are no different from a centerfire rifle or pistol in the Peoples Republic of NJ.

To simplify the law:
Daisy BB gun = Remington 700 = Barrett .50 BMG
Crossman Co2 bb gun = Glock 17 = Desert Eagle
All the same gun in the eyes of NJ lawmakers
Old October 18, 2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Skans

Quote:
To simplify the law:
Daisy BB gun = Remington 700 = Barrett .50 BMG
Crossman Co2 bb gun = Glock 17 = Desert Eagle
All the same gun in the eyes of NJ lawmakers
Tell me - why did Republicans want Governor Christie to run???
Old October 18, 2011, 10:25 AM   #14
chasep255

Quote:
Interesting, because I know there is a large airsoft community in NJ and that means that they are all very possibly breaking some serious federal laws.
Airsoft is still considered to not be a gun. However BB guns are. You can't have a full auto CO2 pellet gun or a Daisey BB gun under 18''. Since it has a smooth bore and is technically considered a shotgun in the eyes of NJ. Also I suppose a non-rifled air pistol would be a smooth bore pistols and also illegal.