The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 22, 2010, 06:54 AM   #1
ClayInTx

Large bore rimfire rifle

Many years ago, 1948, I saw a rifle in the attic of an older gentleman which seemed very odd (the rifle, not him or the attic). Even then the rifle was very old.

It used a cartridge similar in size to a .44-70 and was rimfire. It had the general appearance of a military rifle; much like an M1A, except it was bolt action, single shot.

I have never since seen anything like it.

Does anyone have a lead to where I might start looking for information on large bore, rimfire rifles?
Old January 22, 2010, 07:52 AM   #2
thallub

Look at the Italian and Swiss Vetterli rifles. The Italian Vetterli uses a .41 caliber rimfire cartridge and the Swiss model uses an 11 mm cartridge: It may be the same cartridge as the .41 Swiss. During the 1950s Vetterli rifleas were very cheap and several of my friends hunted with them.

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Italy/ItalVet.htm

http://www.swissrifles.com/vetterli/
Old January 22, 2010, 08:22 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

Not a bolt action, but the Spencer Rifles used during the civil war used a .56 rimfire cartridge.
Old January 22, 2010, 01:12 PM   #4
ClayInTx

Done

As I try to recall the details it seems the Italian Vetterli might be what it was. The rear sight of the Vetterli is a match for what I saw.

So—I’ll call it mystery solved.

Thanks, guys, you’ve been a big help.

Clay