The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 13, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Corn dodger

Strange dry fire method

I have a question about what seems to me at least, a strange way to dry fire. I have a friend that will check out a revolver by hanging on to the hammer while he lets go in either single or double action. He says it is easier on the gun than letting the hammer fall. Although I wasn't aware that method was bad on a center fire arm anyway. My point is that the way he hangs on to the hammer, causes a gawd-awful grinding sound when he lets go. I can't help but think that it binds the guts doing it this way. It does make sense that holding the hammer back could help, but that "sound" makes me cringe. Not being a gunsmith I am not sure what to make of it. Could anyone in the "know" please help me out on this perplexing question.
Old April 14, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I don't know what the sound is, but most modern guns can be dryfired with no problem and allow the hammer to fall. I have no idea of what he is gaining by his method anyways. I can't see where it tells you much of anything.
Old April 14, 2009, 09:03 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

He's not hurting anything, but he's not getting a good 'feel' of the trigger either. Putting a finger, while trying the SA, under the hammer gives a better 'feel'. There's no good way for the DA, other than just pulling. It won't hurt a centre fire.
Some shops will have a hissy fit if you dry fire anything. Moreso with a BNIB handgun. A ballistic hissy fit if you dry fire a .22. Dry firing can damage a .22 though.
Old April 14, 2009, 09:46 PM   #4
PCJim

I agree with T that he probably cannot determine much. I, too, place a finger between the hammer and frame when checking a trigger. You can tell a lot about the weapon using this method. Although it may not hurt a CF firearm, I just am not in a habit of dry firing anything.
Old April 15, 2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Mac's!

Normally useless or not, the results that he got tell me that there's a problem inside the revolver. A "gawd awful grinding sound" should not be coming from inside the handgun! It doesn't matter if he's letting the trigger break under no tension by holding the hammer or just dry firing it....there should not be grinding noises coming out of it!! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old April 15, 2009, 10:39 AM   #6
Pahoo

dodger
I think you are saying that he rides the hammer with his thumb as oppose to placing his thumb between the hammer and the frame, then letting it drop. Don't think you are hearing a grinding sound but rather the internal linkage engaging and disengaging in way you don't normally hear. You may also be hearing the hammer block and it has it's own distinctive sound. As stated, riding the hammer won't reviel as much as letting it drop. Have seen articles that mention this hammer riding in an attempt to smooth an action. This is done in a rapid repetative manner. If indeed you are hearing a grinding sound, then there might be a problems. If the sound is not present when you drop the hammer on your thumb, then you are probably okay.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 15, 2009, 05:10 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have eased down the hammer in a revolver a few times, maybe ten thousand times, and never caused any grinding noise. The proper way is to hold the hammer with the thumb of the off hand, then pull the trigger and HOLD IT BACK while easing the hammer forward. Don't release the trigger until the hammer is down or you can harm the action (maybe even get a grinding noise?).

I know some folks think it is safer to put the finger or thumb between the hammer and the frame, and some manuals even say to do it that way, but I hate the sight of blood, expecially my own.

Jim