The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 19, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
sneaky pete

Anyone hunt with a Scout mounted handgun scope??

old Sneaky Pete here: With the handgun scopes mounted Scout style on a rifle how does the 50 yd Parallax setting effect your Point of Aim on game(Ferral Hogs) at ranges of 100>150 yds. I just mounted a Weaver 4X28 Classic Handgun scope on a CMP Scout mount on my '43 M1 Garand and am planning to use t to kill Ferral Hogs up in Central Florida and am visualizing my ranges to be in the 100>150 yd area as I have visited the site and spotted where my shots will be taken. I'd appreciate any comment about this.THANX--SNEAKY
Old June 1, 2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Major Dave (retired)

Scout mounted scope on shotgun

I bought a slug barrel, smooth bore, for my 12 ga Rem 870, and found the open iron sights to be useless. So I bought a Bushnell Phantom Magnum 1.3X scope and mounted it on the barrel, where the rear sight had been.

Sighted in @ 50 yards with Foster slugs, it rises beyond 50, but drops down to zero again at 100 yards.

Literature with the scope claimed it was built tough to absorb the recoil of a .44 mag pistol, so I figured it was tough enough for my 12 ga. No problems with it so far.

With the 20 inch barrel, and a 7 round magazine extension, it's good for hogs in close quarters, swampy, brushy areas.
Old June 3, 2009, 07:54 PM   #3
ENC

Don't quote me on this but I think that actual scout designed rifle scopes are paralax adjusted for 100 yards. I know I don't have any problems with my leupold IER.

Evan
Old June 4, 2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Not at all. What you will see (same as on a highpowered rifle) is somewhat larger groups than you would if your parallax was adjusted to the specific yardage/distance.

Shhot your rifle/scope combo at 150 yards and see what it does.