The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1
indybrad

testing a new load

What are some of the steps you go through when testing a new load. I'm getting into reloading for my AR and I've got a couple different powders I'm going to test. Do you start from the lowest charge in the book for that powder, and work your way up.

For example, do you load, lets say 5 rounds with a low charge. Then, 5 more of the same powder with a little higher charge.
Old July 22, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
oneounceload

Since my guns are hunting and not target guns, I normally shoot 3-shot groups. To that end, I will load 10 rounds - 1 fouling shot, and then do three 3-shot groups for each loading. Depending on information I have gleaned from a variety of sources, I may or may not start at the lowest data. I will NOT start any hotter than the mid-range.

As an example - if it is a decent capacity cartridge that the manual calls for a certain powder to be loaded from 50-60 grains, I might start at 55 and load in 1gr increments to about 59 to start. If I find a grouping that looks good, I'll load up another 20 - 1 fouling followed by three 3-shot groups; a cleaning at the range, then 1 fouling, followed by three 3-shot groups.

This has worked for me for the last 25 years.
Old July 22, 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
indybrad

So you'll load up 3 rounds at 55, 3 at 56, etc. And, which ever groups best, you will load up 20 of that load, then shoot 3 shot groups of the same powder charge?