The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2011, 08:55 AM   #1
kd7sgm

Case weight variance

Let me begin with I am new to reloading. I have several hundred 300 wm cases I will be reloading, I have cleaned, deprimed, deburred and sized all of them as well as sorted them by headstamp. What is an acceptable weight variance by lot. the Federal cases I have vary in weight from 244.4 gr to 248.1 gr is this acceptable or what is acceptable? I have a sierra and Hornady loading manual and neither mentions anything about acceptable weight variance. Any help would be appreciated.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:12 AM   #2
GP100man

This is what I do, YMMV

I take the litest & fill it with powder ,then see if the heaviest will hold all of it
to see if the VOLUME is different, if it is adjust load accordingly . Less VOLUME needs Less powder to achieve the same pressures.

This affects the larger capacity rounds more than the smaller because the %s are more

No , I don`t mix headstmps on rifle brass ,but have found differences in the same headstamped brass , every lot will be different in some minut way.

I no longer have my 7mag but I`m older & lets face it if shooting hurts it`s no fun !!!!!

Be Safe !!!!
Old October 9, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
243winxb

Brass Prep.

Quote:
vary in weight from 244.4 gr to 248.1 gr is this acceptable or what is acceptable?
For hunting ammo a spread of 3.6 gr is OK. Factory lots of 100 brass in 243win have a spread of 4.4gr Win. & Rem at 5.6gr. Some 223 rem Black Hills match brass has a spread of 2.6 gr. For benchrest accuracy i sort by .1gr The very heavy & very light brass , when mixed and fired will produce larger groups.
Old October 9, 2011, 10:57 AM   #4
TXGunNut

I generally buy new RP brass for my .30-06's and have no trouble keeping the weight variance under 2 grains. I doubt it makes much difference but when I'm developing loads I try to eliminate as many variables as possible.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 9, 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
jepp2

This recent thread casing weight tolerance = Post 2 had the best description IMHO