The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 23, 2010, 09:10 PM   #1
badmuthaluva

Reccomend me some EARS and Eyes

I just got my first handgun the other day which has made me go to the range alot more and the place has crappy ears and eyes for rent. Was looking at getting some of my own. Reccomendations please? also the cheaper the better as I am a college student.
Old February 23, 2010, 09:23 PM   #2
AK103K

The best ear protection I've found, are the cheap swim type rubber ear plugs. They usually also have a higher, if not the highest, reduction rating, and usually only cost a couple of bucks. They also work the best with rifles, as they dont get in the way.

The disposable foam plugs work too, but not quite as well. Still, both are usually better than the over the head type.

I just use my safety glasses from work. They are cheap too, and can be had in a number of colors. Any of the online safety places should have both.

Heres one link....

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/remi...y-glasses.html
Old February 23, 2010, 09:42 PM   #3
LukeA

I bought 80 pair of 32dB NRR foam earplugs for $20. I prefer earplugs myself.

These are them.
Old February 24, 2010, 01:06 AM   #4
badmuthaluva

are the in ear plugs that you guys have shown me allowed in indoor ranges? i have only seen over the ears used at the range I go to.
Old February 24, 2010, 08:31 AM   #5
output

The plugs that have already been recommended will get the job done but I would also invest in a low cost set of earmuffs (and use the plugs along with the earmuffs).

The Remington M-24 earmuffs are rated 24dB and cost $9.99 on midwayusa.com they are not the best on the market but they are cheap and will get the job done especially when used with earplugs.

I have a nicer electronic setup with higher protection and I still use plugs. If you don’t like the plugs that were listed and still want something cheap you can pick some up at your local range, hardware store, and even most convince stores.

As for eye protection most anything will do just make sure they fit your face nicely, won’t fall off, and don’t leave any spacing above your eyes or temples (you don’t want hot brass bouncing off a wall and getting wedged inside your glasses).

I would even try to purchase those items from my local range. I am sure they will be more than happy to recommend some products for you as well. Just be clear that you don’t have a lot of money but want the most protection that you can afford.

Be safe and happy shooting!
Old February 24, 2010, 09:19 AM   #6
AK103K

I dont see why a range would give you any troubles over the plugs. Most ranges I've been to that require them, either sell the foam type plugs or rent the muff type.

Using the plugs and muffs do help, but really arent necessary, unless your on the like at Knob Creek for the weekend.
Old February 24, 2010, 01:42 PM   #7
badmuthaluva

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to see what my range recommends next time I go. If they arent around the prices you guys have mentioned I will order offline
Old February 24, 2010, 02:49 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

I would definitely have both a pair of $10-$20 muffs as well as the earplugs. I use the military style plugs but almost any earplug will give better protection than muffs.

At an indoor range especially, you might find yourself next to some one with a LOUD muzzle blast. You will be glad you have both to double up with.

Hearing damage is accumulative and as an older guy with much loss of hearing I can't recommend enough to protect your ears when you can. If you need to converse with someone else while shooting, like for training, then get the electronic muffs and wear them over your ear plugs. If you don't need to converse or hear range commands (competition), then get the cheaper muffs for over the plugs. These will be handy for working around machinery at home or work as well. My ears are wasted due to chainsaws and lax use at the range when I was younger. Be vigilant and keep your hearing intact.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 24, 2010, 03:28 PM   #9
oneounceload

The foam plugs typically run around 29 db reduction - pretty high - add a set of over the ear muffs to protect the bones around the ear and add more protection - you should be good to go.

Any good shooting glasses, preferably with interchangeable lenses, that meet ANSI specs will suffice.

Your comment about wanting the cheapest is disturbing to me. If you are that poor that two non-repairable and nonreplaceable sensory organs don't deserve adequate protection, perhaps you should avoid shooting for bit.

Quote:
also the cheaper the better as I am a college student.
ESPECIALLY if you're shooting indoors where the sound is amplified even more than outdoors.
Old February 24, 2010, 03:33 PM   #10
chris in va

I'm assuming you'll be shooting indoors. Due to the bad echo in those places, you'll want good muffs and plugs. Look for something with at least 30nrr on the package. Personally I can't stand shooting in a box, outdoors is the way to go. Much easier on the ears especially if someone lets loose with a magnum.
Old February 24, 2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Baphomet

I use the cheap, disposable "foamies" personally, but when things start to get really loud, I use these Peltor Ultimate 10's on top of them.

They'd be a bargain at twice the price in my opinion: http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012828220681a.shtml
Old February 24, 2010, 08:50 PM   #12
badmuthaluva

I didnt mean give me the cheapest possible option i just meant it more like within a reasonable budget. I dont need 100$ muffs. But I do want to be protected. With anything there is always a best performance/budget ratio and that is what i was looking for. I will be getting some plugs this week and when i hit the range this weekend I will see what they have for sale there.
Old February 25, 2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Baphomet

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmuthaluva
I didnt mean give me the cheapest possible option i just meant it more like within a reasonable budget. I dont need 100$ muffs. But I do want to be protected. With anything there is always a best performance/budget ratio and that is what i was looking for. I will be getting some plugs this week and when i hit the range this weekend I will see what they have for sale there.
You can spend more if you want but frankly I've used those Peltors for years and I like them a lot. A lot a lot. I wasn't trying to find you the rock bottom cheapest ear muffs on the market, I was suggesting ones I know from years of personal experience work well.

As for foamies, I don't think I even pay for those; my range gives them away free for the asking.
Old March 16, 2010, 07:55 AM   #14
XDMike

I like the caldwell electric ones an they are only $30 at vance's shooter's supply