The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 13, 2009, 10:03 AM   #26
kirkcdl

I would've grabbed the shotgun,and then yelled at them from cover to stay out of my yard.As soon as all 4 were back in the yard,they'd go to the ground,voluntarily or otherwise,at gunpoint.In my opinion all you did by "whacking" them was give them someone to retaliate against in the future,watch your back...
Old January 13, 2009, 10:13 AM   #27
Chuckusaret

Quote:
What ever happened to "get the hell outta here" or "Whatcha doing in my yard"? I would think that is where I would start before trying to cause GBH with a hammer.
Come on, get real. It is to late to tell someone to get out of your yard after they have climbed over your 6' fence. Your way of thinking is why they don't have respect for others rights. In Palm Beach County Florida, "get the hell outta here" would most likely have been responded to by the trespasser with a bang. I would have released my shepard, she dislikes strangers in "her yard".
Old January 13, 2009, 01:26 PM   #28
FireForged

I have no doubt that these people knew they were doing something wrong and obviously were not invited to allowed to enter your property. That being said, I am curious as to why exit the safety of your home to challenge 4 or possible more people?
Old January 13, 2009, 01:31 PM   #29
cat9x

i could imagine you being nervous but sure did make for a great story, thanks for sharing!
Old January 13, 2009, 02:18 PM   #30
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Sound like a bunch of kids just messing around jumping fences.
Well I know what "messing around" like that would have earned me as a kid or a young man. I often wonder when jackassing around like this started getting a free pass in society.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:51 PM   #31
Sixer

I'm not advocating a free pass for the kids, I'm just glad to hear no one was seriously injured. It would have been a real shame had things escalated to gun play.
Old January 13, 2009, 04:56 PM   #32
freakintoguns

being that im 27 years old, and still live with my elderly mother, i would have gone outside with the good ole louisville slugger in my hands and my XD in its holster in my jeans and given them kids as astern talkin to. of course, knowin my surroundings if there in my yard its because the neighbors on both sides have ginormous rotts and pitbulls so my yard is the only safe spot. that is until a ****** off 6'1" bat weilding lunatic is comin at them
Old January 14, 2009, 06:58 AM   #33
B.N.Real

I LIKE the fact that your wife was backing you up with the shotgun.

Nice to see you have a better half willing to be at your side when trouble hits.

Trespassing makes people feel comfortable in your property then they feel just as comfortable relieving you of your property.

Doing the 'hammer stamp' on their hands was a very easy way for them to get off.

They earned the 'hammer stamp',at least,for not having any respect for your property.
Old January 18, 2009, 12:08 AM   #34
Jay1958

This is so kind hearted and forgiving a point of view, it makes me want to sing "Kum-Bye-Ah", hold hands with a violent criminal and offer him forgiveness in the name of niceness...

Quote:
Seems to me all they were doing at the point you hit them was touching the fence. You attempted to cripple them over touching your fence?
I know just what you mean! I -always- get angry when somebody tries to protect their own rights, and not somebody else's! I mean, unless they are less fortunate than others, and have to resort to crime or other anti-social behavior, in which case, then of course, I have compassion. For the perpetrators, not the victims. I mean, the perpetrators ARE the victims, right? Otherwise they wouldn't do mean things! Their mothers probably tickled their toes, or they didn't get as many toys as the other kids at Christmas time. Ohhhhhh! I didn't mean CHRISTMAS time, I meant during the holidays! Don't want to offend nobody...

Quote:
The more I sit here and re think this and re read this, I get really angry over the tone that a few have taken here about "Hoooo Boy!! That be some fun smashing some kids hand for touching your fence!!!"
Yep! I'm angry! Them poor boys probably just needed some love and affection. We should take up a collection for their medical expenses to have their hands treated, and break out the tar and feathers for the OP.
Old January 31, 2009, 01:52 AM   #35
Contrarian12

Good for you! Hilarious for you to be smacking their fingers with the mallet!

Good justice!
Old January 31, 2009, 08:30 AM   #36
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Good justice!
Just what do you think the word "justice" means?
Old January 31, 2009, 08:52 AM   #37
garryc

LOL I'm thinking razor wire here, about three rolls. Have you ever seen a punk tied up in razor wire? Ain't pretty! They don't tend to try it twice.

Some years ago we had a fool try to cross our razor wire. He ended up with about 800 stitches, he never tried it again.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:15 AM   #38
DonR101395

Quote:
Call me an un-repentant juvie or whatever, but
smashing my hand without warning or cause would put you on the perpetual ****list for all time.

Cause, they jumped the fence once and were on their way back over.
Warning, if they had an IQ above 3 they would know that their actions could turn out bad for them.
****list, it wouldn't matter to me as long as you remembered who corrected your behavior problem.
Old February 1, 2009, 10:55 AM   #39
FyredUp

I will not criticize or judge the OP's actions he was there I was not.

My actions would have been different because better than half the time I am home alone at night. I would have at the very least grabbed one of my pistols and probably my shotgun if I truly believed there was trouble brewing. If they came over the fence I would have waited until the were all there and announced my presence and racked the slide of the shotgun. Requesting that "Golly gee you fun loving kids, would you please lay face down on my lawn with your arms over your heads while I call the police?" Hopefully the presence of a ****** off homeowner, with a shotgun, would have made them compliant with my oh so polite request. IF it went cow[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] I am definitely at a tactical advantage with a loaded and ready to go shotgun pointed in their direction.
Old February 1, 2009, 01:45 PM   #40
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by FyredUp in Wisconsin:
Quote:
If they came over the fence I would have waited until the were all there and announced my presence and racked the slide of the shotgun. Requesting that "Golly gee you fun loving kids, would you please lay face down on my lawn with your arms over your heads while I call the police?
It would be a good idea to consult an attorney before doing anything like that. It is possible that you may end up being charged with a crime or subjected to civil liability.

Here's something from the State of Wisconsin on the Wisconsin Trespass Law:

Quote:
If you should come across trespassers, don’t lose
your temper. Be courteous but firm when you ask
them to leave.
Clearly identify your property boundary
to them, and politely ask them to respect your property.
If they will not leave, contact the County Sheriff. Sheriff
Deputies are authorized to issue a trespasscitation,
similar to a traffic citation, to these interlopers.
States vary, but it seems that most do not permit detention for civil trespass. In Texas, the law states that even the police may not arrest a simple trespasser without a warrant.

Where the OP lives, trespassing is a misdemeanor. I certainly would not want to take assuming the risks attendant to performing a citizen's arrest for that.
Old February 1, 2009, 01:58 PM   #41
P99AS9

Quote:
I grabbed the mallet

Quote:
I see two sets of hands and use the only thing I have at the time, the mallet.
Lol your like Thor!
Old February 1, 2009, 01:59 PM   #42
P99AS9

Quote:
Lol your like Thor!
Oh wait somebody already mentioned that, sorry.
Old February 4, 2009, 01:49 PM   #43
Hemicuda

OR, you can do what I did...

I live in BFE, out in the country, in an area with alot of farms...

My fence is only 5 feet high, but has barbed wire strung with the fence boards... (gotta keep them stray cows out) I also picked up a "weed burner" electric fencer at a local yard sale... now 2 of those strands of wire, one inside the fence and one outside, are on isnulators and are electrified...

as long as there is no odinance against electrified fences, they are legal, and aren't considered a "booby trap"...

the fool who climbs my fence is in for a shocking experience... and for those who don't know, "weed burners" (though not made anymore) are a constant-power fencer, with high voltage and low amperage... hurts like heck, but won't kill ya...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:17 PM   #44
lanternlad

I like the fact that you gave them the "slap on the wrist" before the judge could.

To all you people who think that the OP had "no right to cripple the kids for touching his fence" - did you not read that they had left, AND WERE COMING BACK?! That shows CLEAR intent to do harm. What the hell are people doing on these boards when someone tells them about a self-defense situation and all they can think to do is condemn him for it?

You can bet your last dollar that the thought in these punk kids heads went from "old man can't tell me what to do" to "Crap! He's gonna fight! Run!"

Last edited by lanternlad; February 4, 2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old February 4, 2009, 07:50 PM   #45
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
To all you people who think that the OP had "no right to cripple the kids for touching his fence" - did you not read that they had left, AND WERE COMING BACK?! That shows CLEAR intent to do harm
I, for one, did not read that they were coming back. It was not there. However, if it were, I'm not at all sure it would justify "crippling" anyone.

Quote:
What the hell are people doing on these boards when someone tells them about a self-defense situation and all they can think to do is condemn him for it?
Self defense situation???? As I read it, this was a matter of simple trespass. No one was threatened with imminent death or bodily harm. In what way did the OP's actions constitute self defense?

I have not condemned the OP. However, I think he may well have been lucky in avoiding charges, and, I hope, in avoiding retribution.

I cannot put myself in the shoes of a violent person. However, I surmise that a person thwarted in trespass without injury would likely go away, and that one who has been injured may harbor a grudge, and possibly act on it.

Lanternlad, if you have a weapon, it would serve you well to become very informed on what you can do with it legally--before you ever have to produce it.
Old February 4, 2009, 08:01 PM   #46
dmwphoto

watch out for vandalism and other mischief now. They are not going to be happy about this
Old February 4, 2009, 08:03 PM   #47
Smallgame2100

If they were smart, they'd just dont go to that area. If something gets vandalized, he'll know who it is, or in the direction of people to look for.

I wouldnt have a problem injury someone running through my yard. Thats trespassing. You didnt ask, you broke the law, now pay the price..or just dont do it.
Old February 4, 2009, 08:07 PM   #48
dmwphoto

right smallgame. I did not see that the OP ever saw them or could recognize them except for throbbing fingers...
OF course if they thought he saw them you are correct
Old February 4, 2009, 08:59 PM   #49
Rourke

Great story to remind everyone that anything can happen anytime. You never know.........

Now I need to go clean and lube my rubber mallet

Rourke
Old February 4, 2009, 10:19 PM   #50
OrlandoRecon

I agree with what you did.

That'll be the day when I allow 4 punks to jump my fence without giving them an ass beating.

Besides if you ever did make it to court over what you did to them and I was on the jury, you would be walking out of that court room a free man. Just like how you walked in.

You are the protector of your family, not the police, not the judge, and not your neighbors. YOU are the protector of your family !!! You don't have to apologize to anyone for that...

Keep up the good work.