The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 9, 1999, 03:26 PM   #1
kitman

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the various 1911 muzzle brakes? I was thinking about a wilson combat one and wanted to know if this would damage or oterwise hurt my pistol. I dont realy need a brake on my .45 its kick is well mangeable but I like the way they look, they give a pistol, or a rifel that vishous look. thank you all in advance

------------------
"Its hard doing nothing, You never know when you are finished."
Old December 9, 1999, 04:06 PM   #2
JoeHatley

In order for a muzzle brake to work, the bullet has to seal off the end of the brake, in order to cause the gas to look elsewhere to escape.

2 problems.
1st the .45 is a low pressure round that doesn't generate much "gas".

2nd because these units are also the barrel bushing, the hole has to be a little larger than the outside diameter of the barrel, rather than a hole just a bit larger than the bullet. Doesn't really have much hope of sealing off.

On the other hand, if you like the way they look, they do add weight to the muzzle which should help a little.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old December 12, 1999, 09:53 PM   #3
johnblackstone

I had bad luck with the muzzle brake for my officer's acp. It worked flawlessly before, but I thought it looked cool, so I installed it. Baaaad move. Ran into all kinds of feeding problems... tried stronger springs...tried weaker springs...

I took it off, and am back to the original recoil spring. Works great, lasts a long time.

I would recommend against it.