The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 26, 2014, 04:44 PM   #1
dalegribble

"Cheaper Than Dirt"

has anyone had any experience purchasing a firearm from "Cheaper Than Dirt"? How was your experience, price shipping to local FFL etc? considering buying a gun from them and have questions. thank you.
Old February 26, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
cgjohnst

I have bought a ton of ammo from them on a few occasions. They were awesome when I dealt with them. I've had a couple buddies buy guns from them, but I don't have personal experience with that. I found a couple that I really wanted, but the LGS back in North Carolina all jacked up their $25 transfer fees to $100 for cheaper than dirt and buds gun shop. It was pretty ridiculous.
Old February 26, 2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Beentown71

I will look other places first. The prices they charged during the shortage was....appalling. Buds and other retailers will get my business first.
Old February 26, 2014, 09:10 PM   #4
chiefr

Concur ^^^^^
After the mass shooting tragedies, they cancelled orders of in-stock items and jacked up prices. I would not trust them. Used to be a regular customer, but never again.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:15 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
chiefr Concur ^^^^^
After the mass shooting tragedies, they cancelled orders of in-stock items and jacked up prices. I would not trust them. Used to be a regular customer, but never again.
Wrong.
Although their website showed items as "in stock" their software didn't do real time updating of inventory. People were ordering multiple AR's that didn't exist in their inventory.

CTD stopped online ordering until they could get their software updated.

CTD was not the only online retailer to experience this problem.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 26, 2014, 10:32 PM   #6
richard597

I have ordered several firearms from Cheaper Than Dirt in the past year with no problems and free shipping to my FFL. Prices were very competitive and service along with speed of delivery were excellent.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:52 PM   #7
JWT

Agree they gouged on ammo when it was short. I no longer consider them for anything.
Old February 26, 2014, 11:54 PM   #8
Glockstar .40

Got a great deal on my daniel defense v2 the day after the election and got a great deal. After what they did with the prices after newtown I will never be a customer again no matter what the price is. Should change their name to "not even cheaper than gold"
Old February 27, 2014, 12:12 AM   #9
chiefr

dogtown tom posted
Quote:
chiefr Concur ^^^^^

Wrong.
Although their website showed items as "in stock" their software didn't do real time updating of inventory. People were ordering multiple AR's that didn't exist in their inventory.

CTD stopped online ordering until they could get their software updated.

CTD was not the only online retailer to experience this problem.

So you are saying I am wrong while admitting their website did not do real time updates? I know later when CTD came on line items reappeared only to be priced much higher than originally listed. IE: Magpul 30 round Pmag, $99.97 each. 50 rounds of PMC 9mm $69.69, if you saw the price of 22lr, you would really be shocked.

Last edited by chiefr; February 27, 2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old February 28, 2014, 05:02 PM   #10
Dc777

I'm happy to see that people still remember that ctd was ripping people off on ammo. Actually they still are. Look at the .22 ammo.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old March 1, 2014, 12:40 AM   #11
nanewt02

its funny how a forum post can cause a business to lose customers. i never checked their 22 ammo prices because i dont have one,
but, just reading this has persuaded me to avoid their business in the future
Old March 1, 2014, 01:21 PM   #12
iraiam

I stopped even looking there, during the worst of the ammo crunch, they had ammo for sale and in stock, because the prices on their ammo was what I considered offensive.

Apparently others did as well, it did not seem to be selling very well. I haven't done business with them since.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 1, 2014, 04:47 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Although their website showed items as "in stock" their software didn't do real time updating of inventory.
Tom, that might be part of it, but this is a screencap I took the night after Sandy Hook.

It's hard to interpret a statement of that gravity as a miscommunication.

That said, they seem to ship promptly, product is packaged reasonably well, and they're good about including customers' contact information with the things they ship.
Old March 1, 2014, 05:49 PM   #14
L2R

cancelled my ammo order about 6 years ago

They showed ammo in stock. Several of us bought it as it was a good deal when others were jacking up prices.

All our orders were cancelled and then about 3 weeks later, behold, it was all back in stock but at double digit rate hikes.

Never bought anything from them since then.
Old March 1, 2014, 08:51 PM   #15
dogtown tom

Tom Servo,
I do the occasional transfer from them.
Couple of days after Sandy Hook they sent a mass email (I presume to dealers listed in their transfer list) explaining the problem with their website.

Everyone got all wound up about them posting a notice on their website about not selling guns,,,,,CTD STOPPED SELLING GUNS!!!OMG!!!........... but you could walk right in to their store in Ft Worth and buy whatever you saw on the shelf.

Cheaper Than Dirt is not one single company.....it's several that seem to share the cost of running an internet/mail order catalog business..........and a couple of brick and mortar gun stores.

Both gun stores continued to sell guns the day after Sandy Hook and never missed a beat.

So much angst about a company no one says they'll ever buy from

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 7, 2014, 01:14 PM   #16
Evan Thomas

Moved to the Feedback Forum. Further comments must follow the rules of that forum:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336632
Old March 12, 2014, 05:50 AM   #17
Darto

bought bullets (not ammo) from them last week, shipped extremely fast, very pleased, they are on my list of favorite sellers.
Old March 12, 2014, 06:47 AM   #18
Xfire68

Bought a few items a couple of years ago and was faced for the first time with multiple shipping charges on one order. They have a few warehouses and if items ship from different locations you get hit with more then 1 shipping charge. Midway does this now as well so it likely to be the norm for businesses that have several warehouse locations.

The items arrived quickly and were well packed.

The whole thing with them canceling orders and jacking up prices left a bad taste in my mouth so I don't even look on their site anymore.

Saying it was a software glitch is just ridiculous as they had on their home page at one point during the days that followed the shooting that they were ceasing all gun sales until further notice due to possible laws being passed...
Old March 12, 2014, 07:50 PM   #19
Darto

Regarding Cheaper than Dirt multiple warehouses. Every item has a number displayed which indicates which warehouse. By choosing every item with the same displayed warehouse number, the entire order will have only one shipping charge. Of course this isn't possible as every warehouse (owned by other parties) only sells certain products. But at least you know in advance.
Old March 12, 2014, 09:27 PM   #20
psalm7

I used to order from them every other week when they carried lots of Military surplus . Just placed a order last week for ammo and as always they shiped fast . I was happy with it . The ammo prices are resonable now . They seem to be able to keep good instock at this time . The shortages are going to be with us for the next few years so if you see a box you want you better get it .
Old April 2, 2014, 12:11 PM   #21
Yung.gunr

I agree that they jacked up their prices, but I will refrain from calling it gouging. The reason I won't buy from CTD anymore is their shipping costs and practices. I feel they charge more for shipping than any other online retailer. It is a shame because they often have good prices on stuff. But, by the time you factor shipping costs it's higher.
Old April 2, 2014, 03:35 PM   #22
crimsondave

I will won't call it gouging. I'll call it screwing people over! I'm as done with them as I am when I pull the handle on the commode.
Old April 3, 2014, 05:16 AM   #23
eastbank

CTD-cheaper than diamonds, stick a fork in me,i,m done with them. eastbank.