The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 18, 2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Capybara

Check out what a J&G $199.99 Romanian TTC Looks Like!

New (to me) Romanian TTC. Really digging it, ammo is on the way. Conveniently, my most recent issue of Shotgun News had a very nice article on how to totally strip and reassemble every last spring, bolt and fitting for a real cleaning so that is on the agenda.

Nice package from J&G

Love the heft of an all steel pistol.

1953 Cugir Romanian TTC - man that safety looks cheesy but it is what it is.

They brought out six for me. This one was in pretty nice shape and so was another but the other had the generic grips and this one had the cooler "Star RPR" grips so I went for this one.

Yes, the barrel has had some corrosive down it but overall, lands and grooves look sharp and I think some shooting and cleaning will clean this up nicely. All I have done here is run a boresnake down it a couple of times. Not too bad for a $199.00 pistol.

Old March 18, 2014, 11:29 PM   #2
skizzums

great deal, maybe try lapping that barrel a little, but it sure is pretty
Old March 19, 2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Capy

Yes Congrats on the find.

I bought one at a gun show recently for that price but it did not include the holster, cleaning rod and extra magazine.

I like mine too.

I am experimenting with cutting down .223 brass to Tokarev to shoot in it.

I saw a guy on the internet going through the process. So far it is working but I have not loaded or shot any of the modified brass.

My opinion is that these are pretty darned high quality pistols but I have to say, that I have not shot mine yet and it may break on the first round.
Old March 19, 2014, 12:01 AM   #4
Capybara

I am going to see how it shoots. Would I just get some lapping compound and buff the crown out?
Old March 19, 2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

I think I would

Take it to a smith for that.

I have done crowns on rifle barrels but only on a lathe.

You can buy crowning reams from Brownells and such but they are expensive for a once and done operation.

I don't have much experience sprucing up the crown on a semiauto pistol but I would be afraid of messing it up doing it by hand.

On the other hand you may find that it shoots accurately and you don't have to mess with it at all.
Old March 19, 2014, 12:20 AM   #6
skizzums

do you by chance cast bullets?if so lapping is pretty easy, or just get some lead, but the also sell kits where you shoot several different grits of compounds through the barrel
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/646...re-lapping-kit
not 100% on how the process works, but i assume you coat the bullet iin the compound and then just fire them through the barrell
or you can buy lapping compound and pour a lead slug onto a cleaning rod and polish the inside of bore that way, i am sure some more experienced folks will chime in, i used the lead slug method on a rusty nagant barrel with great results, just be careful not to over-do it as you can increase your bore diameter slightly and negate accuracy
Old March 19, 2014, 02:16 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

You guys....

Oooops.

I think I might have missed the point, Capy.

I thought you wanted to smooth up the crown. My comments, inadequate as they were, addressed that process only.

I will go sit down now.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:02 AM   #8
noelf2

Quite fond of my Rom TTC as well. Hate the safety though.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Capybara

Thanks for the advice guys. First thing I am going to do is just put 100 rounds through it and see how it performs. If the accuracy is off, then I will look into probably just replacing the barrel, they are about $40.00 to $50.00. But it may shoot fine, I have several guns with nasty looking barrels that are pretty accurate.
Old March 19, 2014, 01:02 PM   #10
noelf2

Capy your replacement barrel cost expectations may be a little...dated...
Old March 19, 2014, 07:45 PM   #11
Capybara

Really? I was looking for 9mm conversion barrels but I thought I saw some 7.62x25 barrels at Numrich or Sarco or somewhere for around $50.00? Hopefully I won't need one but won't know until I shoot it.
Old March 19, 2014, 07:57 PM   #12
Tidewater_Kid

Nice looking pistol. I have a Romanian, Polish, Chinese and Yugo. The Chinese is in 9mm. I like them all. Still have about 1000 rounds of surplus. I hope some more shows up one day. Have fun. My Romanian's barrel looks worse than yours and it's a good shooter.

TK
Old March 19, 2014, 09:03 PM   #13
noelf2

Numrich and Sarco Inc haven't had tokarev barrels in stock (7.62 or 9mm) for years. You can sometimes find a barrel on gunbroker or ebay but they *start* at around $100, and they might not be any better than what you have. I think you'll find yours shoots just fine anyway.
Old March 20, 2014, 10:30 AM   #14
Capybara

Thanks for the heads up noelf2. Hopefully it will be a good shooter, I would rather have the original barrel anyway.
Old March 20, 2014, 10:52 AM   #15
madmo44mag

I have several versions of this pistol and love them all.
The days of 0.05 a round surplus ammo are over.
You will enjoy it, they are great shooters.
If you look at the sear faces under a magnifying glass you will see all kinds of machine marks. Some you don't even have to magnify to see the machine marks.
If you clean the sear faces up, the trigger gets really nice and crisp
Old March 21, 2014, 06:38 AM   #16
skizzums

have you shot it yet!!!!
Old March 21, 2014, 06:31 PM   #17
Capybara

Waiting for Cabelas to ship my ammo for it, it's coming next week. Taking my boy shooting tomorrow but the TTC won't be with us ;-(
Old March 22, 2014, 03:05 PM   #18
doofus47

Stop! I'm getting nostalgic for mine!
Nice pistol. Happy shooting.
Old March 22, 2014, 03:08 PM   #19
leadcounsel

Nice Tok, but far from the value they once were when there was a better selection, better holsters, and the ammo was nearly free at 5 cents per round.

I bought a dozen of these and piles of the ammo several years back, and glad I did!

But now at $225 after shipping, and ammo as expensive as modern centerfire, when AK pistols are under $500... they just don't have the appeal they once did.

Edited: I looked back at my records and my first Toks were in fact around $200. I've even recently seen Toks as low as $169 in the last month (well-worn examples). So I stand corrected on the price of the handguns. That example is nearly as good as the examples I've gotten, perhaps as good, and you scored 2 mags which is great. Some of mine had brand new leather holsters with heavy stitching, not that it matters much.

It is a wonderful pistol, and I am not trying to rain on anyones' parade.

Feeding them however is a different equation...

Last edited by leadcounsel; March 22, 2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old March 22, 2014, 08:37 PM   #20
noelf2

Quote:
Nice Tok, but far from the value they once were when they were $100
I've been collecting C&R guns and rifles for about 10 years now, and at no time were Toks $100. I remember CZ 52's were $120, and Nagant revolvers were $65, but don't remember Toks being $100. So if Toks were $100 ten or more years ago, they're still a good value today at twice that and change. Inflation is a birch. Reminds me of when my dad says he remembers when sodas were a nickel !!! But a nickel's value then is probably about a buck and a half today.
Old March 23, 2014, 07:26 AM   #21
lordhedgwich

did it come with the holster from jg? i have been thinking of ordering one
Old March 23, 2014, 08:33 PM   #22
Capybara

Yes, it came with the holster, lanyard, cleaning rod and magazine. I almost didn't buy one because of the ammo costs but I reload so I am buying 200 rounds of quality brass, will shoot it, then will reload it. I estimate my costs per round will be about .13 once I have the brass available. I wish that there was still cheap surplus available. But it will be fun to reload for too.
Old March 23, 2014, 08:47 PM   #23
lordhedgwich

im sending in for my c&r this week. this might be my first order
Old March 23, 2014, 10:57 PM   #24
Capybara

Not a bad first choice for your C&R. For me, my first was a Walther P38, because I always thought they were cool looking and because they were 9mm. Then it was a CZ82 because it was $179.00 for a quality, all-steel pistol in an almost as powerful as 9mm cartridge. Then it was the Model 1895 Nagant because I like the design. Now the Romanian TTC. Also just ordered a Radom P64 and a CZ50 as well. C&R pistols are highly addictive. But if I didn't reload, I would have any of them because all of the calibers are funky, difficult to find and expensive. Not if you reload though.
Old March 24, 2014, 03:41 AM   #25
lordhedgwich

yeah i thought about getting a walther p-1 or p38 actually i wish i would have jumped on one when they were a little cheaper.