The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 12, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
redlevel42

'nother Rossi 92 .45 Colt

Traded for it yesterday. Ran 40rounds through it late this afternoon. Sixteen 255 grain SWCs, and 24 250 grain RNFP. Seemed to handle either equally well. If anything, possibly the SWC were a tad smoother.

Even the archaic buckhorn sights worked well with the light I had. It was a pleasure to shoot with my 9-ish grain Unique loads.

The action seems to be relatively smooth, and I believe it will smooth out even more with use. There was only one issue . . . . . Once I had a "snap!" . . . . no shot fired. Hmmm . . . . a bad primer? No. There was no round chambered. My first thought was "short-stroke." But I distinctly remembered giving the lever a full, quick, positive throw. I threw the lever agin, it loaded, and I shot the remaining rounds in the tube without a hitch. Later, I heard a sound as I brought the gun up after throwing the lever, a "swish" or slight "zing" coil springy sound. I remembered hearing it before during the first string of eight rounds. I believe the magazine tube spring (not sure of the nomenclature here) is either too weak, or is catching or binding on something in the tube. I believe that caused the failure to chamber a round. I also noticed that when loading, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much back pressure as there is on my .357 Rossi Trapper.

I love a lever gun, and especially love the little 16" barrel models. They are just about as handy to carry on the tractor or a utility vehicle on the farm as a handgun is. I don't think this little problem will be too hard to make right. The first remedy I am going to try is to run about 500 rounds through it. Then, I will look at further options if necessary.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2
redlevel42

'nother Rossi 92 .45 Colt

The Trapper and loads.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:42 AM   #3
PetahW

If you remove the magazine end cap and then let the spring extend out to it's full/free length, the spring's free length should be 1-1/2x the length of the magazine tube for best feeding, etc.

If it's appreciably shorter, then the spring was either shortened, or the wrong length spring installed in error at some point.

Old March 15, 2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Axelwik

I'd take it apart and clean the magazine tube. As you clean check for anything that may prevent the follower from moving freely.

And check the spring length as the above poster suggested.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Danny Creasy

Mine did the same thing.............

Cost me bad in a Cowboy Match several years ago. I started to tinker with it but my interest in the sport was waning. I was getting into rimfire benchrest and I traded it for a nice scope. Monetary value was equal at that time but now the Rossi would probably be worth more than the glass. A bit impulsive but the rifle's failure in the match really ticked me off.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:33 PM   #6
DnPRK

You describe the classic failure where the plastic follower is hanging up in the magazine tube.

Go to Stevesgunz.com and get the stainless steel follower. And the reduced power ejector spring while you're there.
Old March 16, 2013, 06:11 PM   #7
QuarterHorse

I'm uber jealous! I've been wanting an R92 in 45 Colt for a while. Got the scratch lined up, can't find 'em online at the moment. A 20" SS version is what I'm after, oh well. I'll get one found.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Ozzieman

I recently purchased a Rossi Ranch hand or commonly called the hog leg and had the same problem. With mine I had to push the lever action hard forward to get it lift gate to bring a new round up.
I slopped the lift gate with oil and sat for an hour working the action then cleaned the gun. When I dissembled the gun for cleaning I found the plastic follower as DnPRK mentioned covered in some kind of sticky yellow gray grease. Cleaned everything well and haven’t had a problem since.
Never been a big fan of Rossi, that’s changed now.
Great little gun.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:48 AM   #9
Clark

I have a Winchester 94 AE Ranger trapper 16.25" barrel 45 Colt rifle I got for $299.99 at BIG5 in 2004.
I have taken it to the range twice.
I have shot one group at 100 meters: 3.2" 5 shots with 24 gr H110 250 gr XTP 1.603" OAL, 1536 gr over chrono, Quickload predicts 1507 fps 20,050 psi

Loaded like that, it kicks like a mule. I take off the butt and put a a large grind to fit Limbersaver recoil pad, but I do not grind it, just leave it with lots of area.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?