The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 7, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Bushnell Back-Track You won't believe it.

Got mine about 3 weeks ago, and have played with it, a bunch. I can't get it to read wrong. It is accurate within 2 feet. 2 button operation, and only 1 small page of instructions. 3 way points can be set, and operation is so simple my 7 year old can do it. Cost is around $70.00 and can be found at Cabelas or Bass Pro.

If any of you guys are GPS illiterate, like I am, this is the GPS for you, and is a lot less money than the complicated monsters I have purchased before.

Be careful, or the wife will take it away from you, and keep it in her purse to find her car while christmas shopping.

This unit comes in real handy for locating the range at which your animal was shot also. Just set a weigh point at your blind, and then when you reach your downed animal, just push the button, and it will tell you exactly how far that shot was.

Also has a built in compass, that re-calibrates itself every time you turn it on, and with a terrain map, can tell you exactly what kind of terrain your looking at, between you and the truck.

Can't say enough good about this unit. It is the best thing that has come along in GPS technology in a long time. If you hunt or fish, you will want one "Big Time"

I'm not pushing the product for any reason, I'm just one reeeaaally satisfied customer.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:17 PM   #2
sholling

I don't mean to thread crap but there are other opinions on this device. I have one and it went in a drawer after a few days and I bought a real GPS. Don't get me wrong there are uses for it but it didn't fit my needs. I found that the electronic compass feature barely worked (sloooooow to react to direction change) and that it was too slooooow to react and inaccurate to be much use for finding a small car in a very large and crowded mall parking lot - something it's advertised for. It'll get you in the general area (100' or so) but that's about it. It's so sloooooow to react that it can be confusing to use. Perhaps they've fixed these bugs since I bought mine - it was one of the first sold to the general public but this was my experience with it. If you want one for your wife I'll give you a great deal on it.

What it is good for is finding your way back to your camp site or favorite fishing hole. Someplace where you can walk far enough to let it get its bearings and close is good enough. They should probably be standard issue to kids when camping.

Last edited by sholling; December 7, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:51 PM   #3
ElrodCod

This is a real GPS http://http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-.../dp/B000CSQRYS
Old December 8, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

Sholling,

Mine works in about 45 seconds, from the time I turn it on, until it finds a satellite.
The place that I hunt is about 26 square miles, and has no roads going through the property, so the mapping screens that come with other GPS units are a waste of time and money for me.
I can set the way point at my truck, and turn the unit off, and put it in my pocket until I am ready to return to the truck. At that point I can turn the unit on,and it tells me the direction my truck is parked, and how far the truck is from my location.
Since I don't get lost in the truck, that is all I really need to know.
My unit will work under tree cover as well as it does out in the open, and I can get a satellite signal inside a three story brick building from the basement.

The unit I have is accurate within about 2 feet every time I have checked it ( I used a 200 foot tape measure to verify the accuracy) because I need it to be very accurate, where I intend to use it.

I like the simplicity of the unit, as I have owned 2 other units before,( at a cost of around $300.00 each) and both of them come with a book of instructions, that is about a 1/2" thick, and very hard for me to understand. I'm sure both units are fine for the guy that needs all that info, but all I want to do is find my way back to the truck, at the end of the day. This unit does that effectively.
If the unit you have doesn't operate like mine, I would send it back to bushnell, and ask them why it doesn't, and see if they won't replace it, or refund your money.
Several guys here at the plant have purchased the Trackers, and all of theirs works as well as mine.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:26 PM   #5
NorthForkSportsman

I have one of the BackPacks as well. Simple /Quick to lock in. I have a "REAL" GPS as well. But for a quick low cost and simple to use unit. Fits in my pocket and works. I expected no bells and whistles just get me home. And it does.