The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 30, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
TrxR

Savage Model 12F/TR ?

I am looking at a Savage Model 12F/TR to get into some target shooting in the 600-1000 yd range and was wondering what you all thought of this gun? Also could this rifle be upgraded to something like a 6br, 300mag or 6.5X284 down the road when I think I need more reach? If so what would be needed for the upgrade?

Thanks
Old March 30, 2009, 04:58 PM   #2
bhannah

Great rifles,

Yes and no on the upgrades(re-barreling)
You would have to keep the bolt face the same, and the action is a short on a .308, so 300 mag is out for sure.

Look up a lee shell holder chart, find the shell holder that is .308 I beleive it is a #2, find the other calibers that match the shell holder. If it is a short action you could "up-grade"
Old March 30, 2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Jim Watson

The Savage 12 F-T/R is getting a great reputation, friend of mine who shoots more Long Range than I do says he is seeing a number of them at matches and they do well.

If you want something fancier when you have worn out the .308 barrel, you can make it shoot about anything that will go in the port. Savage bolt heads are separate parts that can be changed out if you want a belted magnum. A 6 BR or 6.5x284 would use the standard head, though; and call for only a new barrel. (And dies, and brass, and cleaning jag, etc., etc.)

However, if you are shooting real NRA F-class, changing the caliber to something other than .308 (or .223) will put you in F-Open versus a whole new range of competition.