The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Waterengineer

This is a weird animal, tell me about this...

I have never put eyes on something like this. Someone know something?

Thanks for the info, I'm still trying to get educated.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=114780156
Old November 10, 2008, 02:28 PM   #2
zippy13

I haven't seen one of these since the mid 90's. They reduce trap load felt recoil to about that of a 28-ga. The system involves a flying internal mass who's inertia counteracts the recoil. It's like shooting an open-bolt firearm. If you're like me, bothered my the clinking around of the parts of a typical auto-loader, this this complicated single shot is not for you. But, if you're a big fan of Rube Goldberg devices, this gun may really appeal to you. Here's a link to Browning's historic manuals page, click on the appropriate link for a .pdf download.
Old November 10, 2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Waterengineer

Zippy:

Thanks - you are always a ton of help.

- Craig
Old November 10, 2008, 03:31 PM   #4
BigJimP

I've never seen one in person - Zippy gave you the rundown on how it works - and I don't know anything about it.

These days a gra-coil system is probably preferred in terms of a good looking, adjustable recoil system. The Gra Coil used to have to be added to guns by a gunsmith - these days you can get them on the Browning Gold XT model from Browning.

Attached is a photo of one of my XT's with a Gra-Coil system on it (an older gun - not the Gold model you can buy today) - and the standard Browning XT without it. You can see the adjustability in the Gra-Coil system on the lower gun. I think it would be a better option for you.

Attachment 38068

I'm not saying you have to have a recoil system on a Trap gun either - lots of folks shoot guns without recoil systems / and it really isn't that big a deal. The reason I bought the XT with the gra-coil is it was a great used gun / priced right - and I had fractured a shoulder blade and I thought it would help a little.

Last edited by BigJimP; July 24, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Ruger4570

It has been 15 years or so since I have seen one of these. I had the chance to fire a few shots through one and it did indeed reduce recoil substantially. The one I fired had a "release" trigger on it so I had something of a problem trying to get used to it, in fact, I never did. These were in fact very innovative guns and provided several adjustments to both the rib and the stock.
I too think they were too Rube Goldberg ish to ever work,, obviously,, they didn't find much of a market.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:27 PM   #6
dalecooper51

I shoot trap with a guy that uses one of those. I never really asked him about it, but it is a neat looking gun.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:38 PM   #7
zippy13

BigJimP
Waterengineer

My experience with the Browning Recoilless was much like Ruger4570's. One of the members of the club's flinch crew had one, but without a release trigger. My trap combo has a Shockmaster conversion, and it was a case of you try mine and I'll try yours.
The recoilless loads similar to a single shot bolt action rifle. Like the Browning auto-loader, the barrel reciprocates with each shot. But, the recoilless' reciprocation is reversed -- starting from the rear, it's driven forward by a previously cocked spring assembly and then recoil sends it back to the cocked position. Cocking can be controlled independently by a involved levering of the forearm.
The recoilless has adjustments allowing anyone to shoot it: The rib locating pin can be set at several positions. The butt plate slides vertically and there are several ugly looking spacers for length-of-pull adjustments. The stock joins the receiver in a socket that allows a pivoting adjustment.
Thinking back upon my brief encounter, I don't know if the ol' boy was showing off his recoilless because he was a proud owner, of if he was trying to interest a potential buyer.

Last edited by zippy13; November 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: ICT4S
Old November 11, 2008, 12:19 AM   #8
Ricky B

One of the guys at the local club has one, and I've shot it. IMO, it's a wonderful gun. I'm sure it had some recoil, but it just seemed to me like it didn't.

The complaint about these guns is that they have a long lock time, something most target shooters don't care for, and they require a careful set-up. Of course, they're not being made any more, so there is the concern about parts and service.

Last edited by Ricky B; November 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old November 11, 2008, 12:15 PM   #9
BigJimP

Interesting note Zippy ...
Old November 11, 2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Vince1911

On the Nov 5th episode of Shooting USA they went to The World Shooting and Recreational Complex at Sparta, Illinois and there were several people with that gun. they may repeat the airing check the schedule
Old November 11, 2008, 04:58 PM   #11
olddrum1

Thinking back upon my brief encounter, I don't know if the ol' boy was showing off his recoilless because he was a proud owner, of if he was trying to interest a potential buyer.

Zippy13, I think it was probably the latter. When these came out, people thought they were the all out answer to recoil. A number of people that purchased these found that if you ran any kind of speed out of them they had a tendency to not hold up to well over time. When I got to shoot one, I felt that it was quite front heavy and kind of like shooting a typewriter in a suitcase if that makes sense. The one that I shot had been relagated pretty much to the 16 yard line.