The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 10, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1
LRA

38 S&w Special Ctg - Dob

I would like to know when this revolver was manufactured and its approximate value. S/N is S842744.

It is in very good condition and shoots very accurately (it was well maintainted as both my Grandfather's service revolver as a policeman and later by my Dad, who used as a deputy and for competition shooting).

Stamps/Characteristics:
Right barrel – 38 S&W SPECIAL CTG (4 inch)
Top barrel – SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS. U.S.A.
PATENTED FEB. 6, 06, SEPT. 14, 09, DEC. 29, 14.
Sight – Half Moon
Left frame (under extractor) L 15643
Under barrel – S 843744 S
Butt Frame – S 842744

Thanks,

LRA
Old June 10, 2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Tom2

The S prefix was added right at the end of WW2 when they were switching from the military revolvers back to civilian production. Yours was made between late 45 to 47. If you call up S&W with the serial, they can tell you what year it was made. You might also get a factory letter from them for it, that would give the exact date it was made, features and where it was shipped to. They are substantially cheaper for that service than Colt is. I might do it myself as it seems to be a family heirloom but it is not probably super valuable, but possibly 350-400 or more(I might be a little off here) depending mostly on the finish remaining. Like they rate value in the blue book by percent of original finish remaining. And overall condition like bore condx. and wear and tear affects value. Sorry, can't give you an exact value but recently it seems that Smith revolvers are going up a good bit in value, after taking a breather during the time when everyone wanted a hicap auto pistol. I think prices have doubled since the 90's, anyway, on used mdl. 10's.
Old June 12, 2007, 06:26 AM   #3
LRA

38 S&w Special Ctg - Dob

Thanks for the info.

LRA