The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1
tenusdad

Pump Shotgun kept loaded

Considering keeping a Remington 870 in the bedroom loaded. Are there any issues with keeping a pump shotgun with extended (7 round) magazine tube loaded? Will the spring hold up or go dead? Anybody with experience keeping one loaded over time; I would like to hear their advice.
Old November 20, 2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Slopemeno

I left a Mossberg loaded for about 18 years. Did the spring soften up? Sure. Does it still function? You bet. In an 870 the spring is cheap and easy to replace. Don't worry about it. Good choice for a HD rig.
Old November 20, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My HD 870 has a two shot extension and has been kept loaded since the early 80s. I may have changed the spring once.

The mag is kept one round down from capacity, instead of 6 it holds 5 and has been absolutely reliable for nigh 30 years.
Old November 21, 2010, 08:13 PM   #4
nogo

I too have the 870 with extension, and once when I checked the ammo after a year or so, I discovered that the shells compressed slightly causing a bulge above the rim. They would not chamber. The ammo was premium grade law enforcement buckshot. Like a good citizen, I showed this stuff to one of the local pd supervisors who did not appear concerned.

Have you noticed that the l.e. buckshot has low base rims? Would the high brass shells of conventional buckshot be stronger?

In this example the 870 is all factory.
Old November 21, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

and before any one tries get all "squishy" (pun fully intended) about their mag springs... Do you keep your car on jack stands under the frame when vehicle is not in use? I thought not... There are plenty of pre 1940's vehicles still riding fine on the factory supplied springs...

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; November 21, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old November 21, 2010, 08:33 PM   #6
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogo
Would the high brass shells of conventional buckshot be stronger?
Contrary to popular belief, with modern plastic hulls, the height of the brass is inconsequential. Shell manufacturers continue using low and high brass, to distinguish target from heavy loads, out of tradition from the days of paper hulls. Several manufactures (Herters, Wanda, Activ, etc.) have made all plastic hulls (see-thru hulls have their advantages). Some of these all-plastic hulls incorporate a metal washer-like reinforcement around the primer hole, but the rim is plastic.
Old November 21, 2010, 11:02 PM   #7
VADER

what about having just one or two loaded, and have the extra on a side saddle or on the stock?
Old November 21, 2010, 11:17 PM   #8
zip22

Keeping a spring compressed does not wear it out. Keeping it loaded to capacity will also not wear it unless there was a seriously overlooked flaw in the design or manufacturing.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_99130369/
Old November 22, 2010, 04:41 PM   #9
swinokur

I keep my 870 "cruiser ready" with the magazine full 6 and an empty chamber, safety off. To use add BG, rack and enjoy.
Old November 22, 2010, 05:06 PM   #10
oneounceload

I have a 500 that has been kept in the same loaded position for about 25 years - shells eject and load every time - springs go bad from "work', not from tension
Old November 22, 2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Pahoo

I have an older 870 Express and recently loaded it to max. Noticed that the spring got weak on me and the last shell got so loose that it did not feed. Extended the spring and it held tight but not for long. Ordered a new one from Midway for around $4.00 and so far so good. I gave the old spring to my smith and he said he would use it. I would agree that springs should not go weak but mine did. Probably due to old age .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 22, 2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Hardcase

My great grandpa kept his Winchester 1897 loaded from 1905 until he gave it to my grandfather around 1940. Grandpa did, too. So did my dad, from around 1970 on. And I do too, since 2007. Original springs.

I'm sure that the metallurgy has changed over the years, but I think that you're safe
Old November 22, 2010, 06:40 PM   #13
kraigwy

I've kept my 870 in the back of a police car for years loaded, my spring still works.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 22, 2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

My Smith & Wesson (Hey Dave, it fondly remembers you! ) has been loaded for most of the last 15 years or so.

The elastic buttcuff where I kept some 00 buckshot (it's loaded with No. 4) has given up the ghost, however.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 22, 2010, 07:56 PM   #15
highvel

I have had my 870 loaded since 84-85 and the only time it's unloaded is for cleaning, I have zero issues with it.
I must admit, I leave the hammer down on an empty chamber though.
Nothing gets more attention, or sounds more intimidating, than a shotgun slide!
The only thing that could be worse, would be the slide operation along with an angry woman's voice

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 22, 2010, 11:00 PM   #16
Brad Kenney

Shouldn't be a problem. Our cars have had loaded 870's for years also. Haven't noticed a problem with the springs.
Old November 23, 2010, 09:43 PM   #17
silvercorvette

Quote:
I keep my 870 "cruiser ready" with the magazine full 6 and an empty chamber, safety off
Ditto, a spring will wear out faster form loading and unloading the tube.
Old November 23, 2010, 11:25 PM   #18
Cruncher Block

As nogo mentioned, I would be more concerned about shell compression than the spring wearing out.

I had one of those super extra power springs for a while and it made several shells hard to chamber.

Obvious and most enjoyable solution is to not go too long without firing and rotating.
Old November 25, 2010, 05:21 AM   #19
henryfrapp

Hardcase is right on the 97 Win. I have kept one loaded for about 20 years with no problems and keep an 870 loaded about the same amount of time in the barn.