The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2008, 02:30 PM   #26
YARDDOG(1)

A mossberge 500 youth 20 ga. save around $150 Just as good IMO.
Old November 11, 2008, 02:55 PM   #27
badlander

Why not A Rem 1187 auto in 12 ga.? The auto will have A much reduced recoil over A pump.
Sorry but I would much prefer A 12 over A 20.
Old November 11, 2008, 03:41 PM   #28
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
Note: Browning calls them action bars ... its an assembly with a right and left bar.
oops there i go displaying my ignorance
Old November 11, 2008, 03:44 PM   #29
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
Why not A Rem 1187 auto in 12 ga.? The auto will have A much reduced recoil over A pump.
my dads real old fashioned about guns, and does not like semi-anything.
Old November 11, 2008, 03:58 PM   #30
Delaware_Dan

My first gun ever was an 870 20 gauge and it was a fine gun. Bought it at wal-mart for under $300.
Old November 11, 2008, 04:18 PM   #31
Ruthless4christ

m really thinkin that the 870 20 is the way im gonna go, (unless someone wants to try and convince me to go mossburg?) the only moss I ever had was a maverick, wich i did not like cuz it got me in trouble once with some trash that had gotten stuck under the pump which i always attributed to it singleACTION BAR , which is why i had asked if the browning had two.
Old November 11, 2008, 07:54 PM   #32
YARDDOG(1)

I seen somr used 870 20ga at gander moutain 95% or better $250 great buy
Old November 11, 2008, 08:01 PM   #33
varoadking

Get a new 12 gauge Remington 870 Police with wood stocks. The new ones come with the Limbsaver pad. With low recoil OO loads, it's a pussycat...
Old November 11, 2008, 10:19 PM   #34
zippy13

Ruthless4christ / BigJimP

I've not been a big fan of bottom ejectors; but, it's an unfounded prejudice. I think it stems from shooting with newbies who don't have a clue, and delay the squad while fumbling about with Ithaca and Browning smooth siders. But, in all fairness, I've seen shooters fumble around with Mossberg and Remington side ejector pumps, also. Too many folks don't read and comprehend their owner's manual before breaking-in their new guns.

Because of BigJimP's undaunted praise of the Browning BPS, I thought it couldn't hurt to check out the their on-line catalog. Ruthless4christ mentioned that his dad thinks a 12-ga is too much, and youth sized pumps were discussed. So, I looked up the BPS Micro: Wow, it seems to be one sweet little gun. It's refreshing to see a straight stock on a gun that's not in the custom comp price range. Seems the boys at Browning aren't locked into 19th century designs, and are responding to more modern trends. From the catalog descriptions, the BPS Micro is well ahead of the Remington and Mossberg 20-ga models. Of course, there's no substitute for actual hands-on experience.

Ruthless4christ, IMHO, don't finalize your selection before evaluating the BPS.
Old November 11, 2008, 10:50 PM   #35
Ruthless4christ

i actually like the micro alot
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...12&type_id=225

imsure it could come with a slug barrel? i guess i would have to take my dad to a place that had both this and the 870 youth and let him see which one he likes best. I mean if i were buying for myself i would be getting that Bps 10ga! I did not even know there were 10 gauge pumps! (that will be subject of another thread)
Old November 11, 2008, 11:29 PM   #36
New_Pollution1086

What about a 20ga coach gun?

Im thinking about getting one for a secondary hd shotgun

i love my mossberg 12, so a 20 in that should do yah nicely,

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 12, 2008, 08:38 AM   #37
Ruthless4christ

I love coach guns, but ony in guatemala where i am alowed to cut them back short, with a long barrel i cant see how they would be better then a pump, for HD.
Old November 12, 2008, 10:48 AM   #38
ebutler462

I am 70 years old. If I discovered that my sons were going to buy me a gun, I'd get word to them that I prefer a 20 gauge semiauto. The older I get, the more I love my 20 gauges.
Old November 12, 2008, 10:53 AM   #39
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My argument for Mossberg is many fold. First off I have never had one hang up or fail in any way. All were dual action bar models. they are durable enuff for me and many soldiers and LEOs. The cost of a Mossberg 500 is less than a wing master and an express is usually a touch more than a 500 as well. Before joining TFL, I thought a thorough cleaning was to spray WD-40 twice rather than once. My 500 had never been apart in 17+ years and it was still functioning flawlessly. Now it is amazingly smooth as butter
Brent
Old November 12, 2008, 12:03 PM   #40
New_Pollution1086

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...coach_guns.php

all 20in barrels. how short do you wanna go?? how short can you have there.

I like the silverado personally.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 12, 2008, 12:24 PM   #41
BigJimP

I was having this same discussion with a friend the other day / he's worried about his dad who now lives alone and is in his 80's. Not to get too philosophical here - but I think there is a difference between a pure "fighting shotgun" and what might be considered a "defensive shotgun". Tricked out Benelli M-4's/Rem 870's have certainly proved their worth in terms of "fighting guns".

My approach on this - was to recommend something your dad / or my friend's dad, might like as a gift - and still be a gun he could have some fun or hunt with a little if he wanted. My buddy's dad isn't a flashy guy and doesn't want anything to do with semi-autos or Over Unders - the last shotgun he had was a Win model 12, 40 years ago.

I defer to guys on forum like ScattergunBob on how to outfit a "Fighting Shotgun" - but if you go with a hunting or field gun like the Browning BPS, Mossberg, etc. - if you take the plug out, it will hold 4 shells in the mag, one in the chamber. In my opinion, its a decent weapon, god forbid, your dad or my buddy's dad find themselves in a bad situation at home some night.

In my buddy's case - we're looking for a good clean model 12 we can clean up and get him a nice case for / but he's also considering a new BPS - partly just because its new and comes in a box as a nice gift.
Old November 12, 2008, 02:21 PM   #42
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
how short can you have there.
in guatemala, mydouble 12 has a 6 inch barrel on it, loaded with 00. its my under the seat car gun.