The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 30, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Bella

Surgical Recovery

I am scheduled for back surgery next Tuesday. I have been putting it off for years. It is so bad now that I can not hunt if it involves walking. I know about getting second opions, I am up to five of them. All point to surgery. They are going to fuse my L-5 vertabrate.

I already have been given a list of restrictions and timelines for post-operative recovery. Two weeks after surgery I will be allowed to walk up to one mile at a time if tolerated. Nothing is mentioned about shooting.

Has anyone here had recent back surgery? How long before you were able to get back into shooting? I figure a rimfire handgun shouldn't take too long. They are light and don't have much recoil. Shotguns and centerfires might take awhile. How long was your shooting recovery?
Old December 31, 2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Lokpyrite

I'm not a doc or a patient, but I'd expect you won't be allowed to fire anything over .22 for 3-6 months.
Old January 1, 2011, 09:50 PM   #3
ericscher

You know, I would have sworn I registered here a long time ago. Oh well.

They'll make a big deal of teaching you the "Log Roll" method of getting in and out of bed, but here's the stuff they won't bother telling you:
  1. The first day sucks. Especially if you have been using pain meds and therefore have a tolerance for narcotics.
  2. The second day would be marginally better, except they will probably pull your catheter that morning, thus forcing you to get out of bed to use the bathroom.
  3. You're going to spend a fair amount of time sleeping on your side. If you don't already have one, get yourself one of those shaped pillows you stuff between your legs to keep your spine aligned while you're lying on your side.
  4. You're going to want to buy a couple of things. The first is called a Bottom Buddy and you can get it on Amazon. Both the purpose of the device, and the temporary need for it should be obvious from the picture.
  5. While you're on Amazon, buy a Rollator. It's like a rolling walker and it's real handy. There are more than one brand available, but I bought the Hugo Elite.
  6. Make sure to stay as hydrated as possible from the moment you wake up until you're well healed. Oh, and... Buy a bottle of MiraLax and keep it in your medicine cabinet at home. The pain killers tend to slow things down if you get my drift.
  7. Reduce your food intake. You won't fully appreciate how reduced your activity is at first until it's too late. Forewarned is forearmed.
  8. Plan to be out of work 4 months if you do white collar work and 6 if you do blue collar work. Also, do NOT try to return to prior physical activity too soon. It would be pointless to go through all this and then ruin the surgery.
  9. You'll want to take a high quality vitamin supplement and calcium supplement. I buy my stuff at "iHerb.Com" because their prices are so low. I used "New Chapter, Bone Strength tablets and "Country Life, Calcium Magnesium Complex, 1000 mg\500 mg" tablets. Two of each, twice a day for the first 90 days, then one of each, twice a day for the next 90. Now I just take one of the ""Bone Strength" pills once a day for G.P. For a multivitamin I used the "[Rainbow Light, Just Once Naturals, Energizer One Multivitamin/Mineral, 90 Tablets] Rainbow Light, Just Once" series of vitamins. Pick the one you like best.
  10. You will recover a lot faster than you think after you get past the first week. BUT... Do not fail to take your surgery seriously. It takes a solid 6 months to recover from back surgery and you won't believe it can be that long until you try it. THEN you believe.
  11. If you've been taking pain meds for the long term prior to your surgery and after your recovery, you will be surprised by the amount of aches and pains that it has been masking. They will come back after you're off the narcotics. Expect it, and deal with it by taking your physical therapy seriously and trying to keep extra pounds off.
  12. Try to keep a daily schedule after the first few weeks. Up at a regular time and back to bed at a regular time. You don't have to worry about doing much, and taking short naps are fine, but make it a point to keep moving so things don't get too stiff.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck.
Old January 2, 2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Ruger 1974

Bella

^^^^^This!^^^^^
I actually had to google bottom buddy, never saw that, the only biggest thing I can offer is the toilet seat riser, about 40 bucks at any drug store/big box. Believe me, you are really gonna want this thing, you don't realize how far you have to sit.......Good luck with you're surgery, and God Bless.
Regards, Ruger 1974
Old January 3, 2011, 04:46 PM   #5
RimfireChris

I've never had to but my wife did, ericscher's reccommendations are excellent. Keep your spirits up and here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old January 3, 2011, 04:49 PM   #6
pax

Quote:
Also, do NOT try to return to prior physical activity too soon. It would be pointless to go through all this and then ruin the surgery.
This.

I watched my dad do it. Heartbreaking.

Now a turn topic-wards: I'd recommend asking your own doctor about shooting. Chances are you'll want to stick with .22 caliber for 6 months.

pax
Old January 4, 2011, 12:46 AM   #7
Drachenstein

It's not fun, but if successful, well worth it. I was in constant pain, could barely walk, took 20 mgs of oxy every four hours, quality of life - not good. I had L4, L5, and S1 done. The relief from the pain was immediate, the pain from the surgery not nearly as bad as pre surgery. Now I hunt the hills of KY no problem - .308 and .50 blackpowder. Can do almost anything I could before my injury. Here's the trick - do your physical therapy - all of it, and follow your doctors instructions. Push yourself physically and learn the difference between good pain and bad pain. Two weeks after surgery I had my wife drop me off progressively farther from the house. I had my walking stick, bottle of water, .38 S&W, and cell phone. I left myself the choice of sit in the woods or walk home. In truth, those hills first kicked my butt, but at the end of week three I was doing 2.5 miles. What I hated most was not being allowed to sit, you can stand or laydown only,,,,,, eatings not fun,,,,,, niether are bowel movements - get the specail seat they offer.

Listen to your Doctor, I was able to shoot anything in 9 weeks, except archery. I was also walking 5 miles a day at that time. I still can't shoot a longbow - I can draw it but the release is like sending lightning from my right middle toe, through my right nut, right up the spine You can also take whatever shovels you have laying around and throw them out,,,,, those days are gone. I did have some permanant nerve damage,,,, expect some. I can't feel hot or cold on my feet and some portions are numb to the touch,,,,, I waited too long to get the surgery. Even so I just finnished a 1 hour dance class with the Mrs. before writing this.

Your recovery time depends on you, the question is; How bad do you want your old life back?

BTW my surgery was in 2008
Old July 26, 2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Lambdebois

I am sorry to bump an old thread but I have to say that this thread has been very helpful to read and hear what others experiences have been like. It's only been three weeks today for me after my lower spine surgery. It looks like I will have to get a handgun in 22lr finally as 38 special out of a 4" 686+ is the lightest recoiling round/gun that I have and I'm already going nuts from not being able to shoot in three weeks. I question weather the weight of my 10-22 rifle is to much this soon and as others have said.... I sure as heck don't want to screw anything up again after all of this.

I have several other severely degenerated discs that are always going to cause me pain and will likely need surgery also down the road. I am curious if others that have been in my shoes found they had to give up shooting the larger boom sticks like 12 gauges, 30-06, or even my beloved AK?
Old July 26, 2011, 11:49 PM   #9
45Gunner

I have had four major surgeries on my neck and back due to an accident I was involved in while riding as a passenger on a bus....of all things. I spent nearly two years in and out of hospitals and beds.

When the surgeons said there was nothing else they could do for me, I knew I had to do it for myself. Once up and about, I found an excellent physical therapist and worked three times a week, two hours per session...and did so for months.

When I was home, I would take my 1911 and hold it in the shooting position for a five count and then rest. I did this for 10 repetitions, three times. Eventually I was able to work up to a 10 count. I did this while watching TV, sitting in chairs, sitting up in bed, every chance I got. I worked with weights when the gun felt comfortable. I alternated back to the gun between the weights and practiced dry firing, working on my breathing and follow-thru....you never forget the trigger sqeeze.

It took a long time but I made my first range trip after months and months of working at developing my upper back, neck and shoulder muscles, along with my arm muscles. I have no problem shooting my .45's and .357 magnums. I sometimes cannot stand up for more than 20 minutes or so but have no problem pulling a chair up to the firing line and shooting from a sitting position.

I had to give up almost everything I liked as I did many, many physical sports but I would be damned if I was going to give up my passion for sport shooting. You must work hard and you must have the drive and determination. If I can offer any help in any way, please PM me or respond to this post. Best of luck to you.

BTW, I get through the day with large doses of narcotic pain killers and have a spinal cord simulator implant which added to the challenge.
NRA Life Member
Old July 27, 2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

IF you shoot from the sitting position, you would probably be OK.

Bottom line: Check with your doctor.

Mine allowed me to shoot from the sitting position when-ever I wanted to.
Old July 27, 2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Lambdebois

45gunner,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate that a lot. Talking with someone who has been through it and still lives with it is a helpful reality check. I plan on taking the physical therapy very seriously. I am hoping the surgeon will clear me to travel so that I can return to my home in Denver. My girlfriend now recently my fiance is just waiting till I'm allowed to lay in the back of my 4runner so she can drive me back or they at least let me fly. I see the surgeon tomorrow for my 3 week post op appointment. I really hope to see her as it's been a hard year having to be so far away for the last year with only a handful of weekend visits. Being stuck in St. Louis has been hard but necessary so I would have someone around to help me. The only other person I have had to talk to is my closest friend who I met 5 years ago when I started taking disabled veterans fishing and camping. He was in a power chair and has slowly been able to progress and is now walking with crutches after years of relearning how to walk. I think back to the times when I'd be pulling a ice fishing shelter for us through the snow to get to a lake and how I won't be doing that anymore. I don't regret it one bit though.

I find myself thinking about selling one of my 12 gauges or something as I'd really like to pick up a ruger mark III now that most have said 22 was all they could shoot for 6 months. I'd just go buy one but having been unable to work for the last 4 months have really tightened up any free cash for such a purchase. What is the best way to go about selling one of my guns? Would a store like cabelas do a trade? Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Uncle Buck- Thanks also.... I will ask about it tomorrow morning when I go in for my 3 week post op.

Last edited by Lambdebois; July 27, 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:00 AM   #12
45Gunner

Don't be in a hurry to sell off guns that you may regret doing later on. I hung on to all my artillery and now can shoot my shotgun and my AR. Of course I wouldn't recommend you do it anytime in the near future...it is something you will have to work up to.

Back injuries are the worst...once you have it, it is with you for the rest of your life and you always have to keep it in the forefront of your mind when you do anything physical. You must always think, even bending down to pick up spent brass can cause pain especially if you bend incorrectly.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, concentrate on physical therapy and work on building the muscles in your upper body as well as trying to strengthen the lower back. Avoid wear braces and other support items as they will only prevent your muscles from getting stronger. No pain, no gain....not really a true statement. Pain is a message that your body is sending to the brain telling you to stop what you are doing.

Stay strong, keep positive. Easier said than done, I know it. It takes drive and motivation and if you have the support of your girlfriend, all the better. Your life has just taken a dramatic change but it doesn't mean that you have to give up everything....just be careful and prudent.

Good luck and find yourself a physical therapist that knows how to work with back injuries. Not all do so beware.
NRA Life Member