The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 2, 2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Old No7

Old Army Modifications (long post)

Hello all:

I previously posted these Ruger Old Army Modificationson another forum where they were well received. Sorry this post is so long (putting all 5 Mod’s on 1 post), but I figured that some members here would like to see them too. Let’s start off with…

Mod #1, Target Front Sight
I hand cut and filed one each of these for my Dad's and my Old Army's years ago, as the undercut partridge-style sights are much better (for us) for target shooting. Plus, we don't plan to be doing any "fast draw" with the ROA’s anyhow!

Mod #2, Target Rear Sight
Because every decent front sight deserves a decent rear, my Dad and I added Millet rear sights to our Old Army's. Some might question what this sight offers versus the stock Ruger model, and the basic answer is the WIDE and FLAT rear blade, which is the entire back of the sight. To us, this sight blade is more consistent in all lighting conditions; whereas the stock Ruger blade is inset into the sight body and you can sometimes pick up some glare off the sight itself.

One note... While we bought Millet sights intended for the Ruger Blackhawk series, if I remember right, we had to do some minor and careful filing* to fit these correctly. (* As my Dad would say, “go slow and check the fit often, as the metal-take-off tool works MUCH better than the put-back-on tool!”)

Mod #3, Smooth Trigger
This modification is entirely personal; some may want it, others may not. My Dad kept his ROA trigger stock, but I didn't like the feel of the grooves on the trigger, especially with heavy loads, so I filed them out. I know I'll never have to shoot my ROA "double action", but I do like the way the smooth trigger face feels.

The next Mod will dig even deeper into trigger work...

Mod #4, Trigger Work
First, a necessary disclaimer: You are on your own and assume any and all liability for messing up your ROA (or anything else!) if you work on your trigger without knowledge and/or guidance. The writer assumes no responsibility for anything you do. Whew, with that out of the way...

I'll admit I got some expert help on these trigger mod's, but it well worth it and greatly improved the trigger feel and pull on my ROA. The small red rectangle imposed on the pix below represents a "trigger stop", which is a small piece of aluminum inserted in the rear of the trigger pin (forget the exact name of that Ruger part). This piece is fit by trial & error, and was recommended by a friend who shoots ROA's in the NMLRA Territorial Matches. He walked me through the process, and with his help and a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers -- and a whole bunch of disassembly & assembly steps! -- the trigger stops dead just after she releases (used to be another 1/8" of travel or more!).

The dashed red circle indicates careful polishing work to the trigger's internals... I won't say any more, other than it was “polishing only” (not “metal removal”) and the trigger now releases clean at 2.75#, using the stock springs. These two trigger mod's are the best changes I've made to my ROA and are most responsible for the great shooting she can do -- when I do my part, that is.

Mod #5 will complete the external changes and finish this series. I hope you all have been finding this informative so far.

Mod #5, Custom Grips
After all the prior mod's were done, I finished her off in style with a set of silver & black laminate grips custom made by Lett's. They used to be the custom grip maker for Ruger, but I believe they are out of business now. I really like the way the silver & black contrasts with the stainless finish.

Not to worry if you want a new set of grips for your ROA, as with the explosion of interest in Cowboy Action Shooting, there are many more makers of custom handgun grips around today. And as I'm sure most know, the ROA takes the same grips as the Blackhawk.

Summary
Well that's it for all my ROA Modifications – until one of you posts your own mod's and gives me some new ideas!!!

Tight groups and white smoke to all!

Old No7
Old December 2, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Raider2000

That's some nice work you've done there, I appreciate your time in bringing this to us, I plan on some tuning work on my Pietta 1858 soon & this has given me some ideas in the grip area.
Old December 2, 2007, 08:33 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Counterbore the nipples so that the inside (facing the interior of the cylinder) is more like Jim Chamber's White Lightnin' touchholes. More positive (and maybe even faster) ignition.