The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 25, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Joe Chicago

Weatherby Vanguard S2 transformation

I am in the process of altering my .308 Weatherby Vanguard S2 and would like some feedback from the peanut gallery. The rifle is at a gunsmith now, having the barrel shortened from 24" to 21". I hunt in Western PA where the woods can be pretty dense and almost all shots are under 100 yards. It is more important to have a handy rifle than to get the last 100fps out of the cartridge.

After the rifle is returned I am considering replacing the factory synthetic stock with a laminate stock, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I am considering a stock from Boyd's with the upgraded Pachmayr recoil pad ( http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...10998&cat=1223). Does anyone have experience with Boyd's laminated stocks - how are they? Is it worth it to also pop for the laser checkering? What other brands of laminated stocks would you recommend? (I am trying to avoid spending a fortune.) I will probably sand away material from the barrel channel to free-float the barrel.

I plan to pillar bed the action to the new stock. Has anyone here done a pillar job? Any pointers on the process or recommended parts?

Finally, is there a product available to apply to the exterior of my barrel and action to protect it from moisture (think of clearcoat for the rifle)? I bring this up only because I have read some articles where the author recommends rubbing car wax on the action that is covered by the stock. I know there are camo sprays that may serve this purpose, but I am happy with the finish of my rifle.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
btmj

Johnson's paste wax forms an effective, but temporary barrier to moisture and water. A coat of wax on bare (white) steel will keep rust away for days, even with exposure to dew. Many years ago I used this technique in a machine shop. On a blued or black oxide surface, the wax will protect even longer.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
shootniron

I have the 308 in the compact with a 20" barrel and it is a fine hunting arm. I had thought of upgrading the stock and decided against it as it would not serve any purpose for me, other than different aesthetics and I concluded that it was not worth my time or money to it. I really love the rifle and I think that you will enjoy yours as well. I am not aware of any treatment will last for a long duration to prevent rust other than frequent application of something like CLP or similar.

Please post some pics when it is finished as it may entice me to upgrade mine anyway.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Joe Chicago

Shootniron,

I'll post a pic of the rifle with the shortened barrel and factory stock in a few weeks when the gunsmith is done with the surgery. Who knows, maybe you will talk me out of popping for the laminated stock.

Joe