The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1
MNRandy

Springfield XDS

My XDS is jamming a lot and sometime even if it doesn't jam it doesn't fully load the next round. I have tried different ammo with the same results. What am doing wrong?
Old February 13, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2
chris in va

Saw the same thing at the range last month. Someone bought a brand new XDS and had numerous jams.

Range officer brought over some WD-40 and hit the slide and internals with it. No more jams after that.

Basically sounds like it needs to be lubed.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
TunnelRat

I'd be a little leery about using WD 40 on internals, that stuff tends to attract a lot of dirt. On the rails sure.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 13, 2013, 07:01 PM   #4
vector91

Just for clarification are these problems common and are they simple to fix. Asking because I am planning on getting one for my everyday carry also as a side note how's the recoil on them
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Bellasogno

I've had zero issues with my XDs. Was it cleaned and lubed before you fired it? If not, that's undoubtedly your problem. Guns need lube, some more than others.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:47 PM   #6
vector91

How stripping and maintenance for it
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 09:09 PM   #7
TunnelRat

I really am interested in one of these in 9mm.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 13, 2013, 09:53 PM   #8
stolivar

I have one

Runs perfectly

steve
Old February 13, 2013, 10:30 PM   #9
9mmsnoopy

Someone asked about the recoil. Its not bad at all, more of a backwards push than a big muzzle rise, i am impressed with mine.
Bushmaster AR15
Old February 14, 2013, 07:10 AM   #10
vector91

Thanks snoopy and yours is the .45 correct
- George Washington
Old February 14, 2013, 09:37 AM   #11
dayman

I haven't had any issues with mine.
I don't usually put a tone of rounds through it at a time (20-30 maybe), and I clean/lube it after I'm done.
The only thing resembling an issue I've had is you have to rack the slide really fast to load the top round - if you try to follow it forward it jams more so than most autos.
I seriously love that gun. It's very easy to conceal, and remarkably easy to shoot - I did wind up buying the pierce pinky extensions for the 5 round mags - the standard baseplate was just a little small, and the extended mag just ruined the ergonomics for me.
I also wound up installing the powder river spring set, and springing for their stick on rubber grip, but at this point, If I had to keep just one gun, it might very well be the one.
The only thing I haven't found yet is a great holster - hopefully raven concealment will get around to making one soon.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Black Frog

I just got my XDs this week. This weekend will be the first chance I get to put a couple boxes of ammo through it.

Last night I did a nice cleaning of the gun and Frog Lube application.
We'll see how things go this weekend.....
Old February 14, 2013, 10:09 AM   #13
CurlyQ.Howard

Based on my personal experience, if there is any chance that your firearm (of any sort) is to be exposed to below freezing temperatures, you should make certain that any and all WD40 is cleansed from any and all functioning parts as it can and will freeze all too easily rendering your firearm useless.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:37 PM   #14
XDS45IWB

I've had mine since mid Sept. and I've put 300 rounds down the pipe, 25 every 2 weeks or so, as is right out of the box without a single cleaning or lube, and I have not had a single failure of any kind. SA does recomend lubing the slide. It is the first and only .45 I've ever shot and I love everything about it. Recoil is perfectly managable.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:45 PM   #15
ejfalvo

Mine has been flawless, no FTF or FTE. When I got it, took it apart and oiled it. Have run about 300 rounds thru it and no problem.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:09 PM   #16
vector91

Good to know I'm pretty sure now I'm going to get an xds .45 as my everyday carry thanks everyone for all the info this thread has provided.
- George Washington